Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-21-2009, 02:10 PM

37 posts, read 107,017 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by anifani821 View Post
I keep thinking . . . if we have 60,000 or so folks without jobs here in Charlotte . . . where are they suddenly going to find jobs? Or even slowly find jobs? Jobs have to be created/opened . . . so where are we gonna find these thousands of jobs?
Pls correct me if I'm wrong... These days when people here are stuggling to find a job, there are still temporary worjing visas for IT indian people to come and work for BOA and WF ?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-27-2009, 01:55 PM

1,374 posts, read 3,253,246 times
Lets "all" face some very grim facts. The American economy is just barely on "life support" and every metropolitan region in this country is suffering through the loss of industries, unemployment and a tax base that is in free fall. Columbus, where I presently reside is known as a "recession proof" metropolis.
Now, I can say unequivocally that we in Columbus are suffering right along with Charlotte and many other urban areas in the U.S.
However, Columbus does have a slight advantage during this turbulent period of time. The city has long been recognized for having a very diverse economic base, which is one of the reasons for the ongoing growth and prosperity that is being witnessed in central Ohio.
Columbus was never a city that relied heavily on one major industry, as is the example with Charlotte and many other cities.
Charlottes demise has been it's focus and reliance upon the banking giants that had established their headquarters there. ( Bank Of America & Wachovia ) The same exact scenario was played out in Detroit, Flint & Cleveland with the ongoing demise of the U.S. auto industry.
With the banking "meltdown" of 2008 / 2009, I think that Charlotte may have a longer road to
attaining a full recovery.
Cities like Columbus are "arguably" in better standing due to a long standing and more diversified economic base.
It seems that Dallas, and the other cities of the Lone Star state are the only regions that are still
holding up very well during this ongoing crisis.
I hope the best for all of our cities ... it's going to take time to "turn the corner" again.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte