Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-19-2008, 01:59 PM

24 posts, read 64,457 times

Advertisements

Okay, I think I have an argument for the most convenient neighborhood in Charlotte (in terms of its proximity to the most conveniences, amenities, other parts of city, etc)...feel free to agree/disagree/add your own opinions, etc.
I think this could be a beneficial thread for those looking to move to the area.

WEDGEWOOD NORTH! --> Located off of exit 18 off of I-77 North slightly past Northlake Mall and directly off of the new I-485 Harris Blvd interchange.
10-11 minutes to uptown Charlotte,
7-8 minutes to exit 25/Birkdale,
6-8 minutes to the heart of the University city area,
10 minutes to airport,
6 minutes to the Mountain Island Lake area,
20 minutes to growing Denver area,
and I just discovered that I can get to Ballantyne (south Charlotte) in 24 minutes...that's the complete other side of the city.

FYI, Wedgewood North is a slightly older n'hood of homes in the 175-230K range, really nice pool/tennis courts, built in the early-mid 1990's, safe and very family oriented n'hood.

Okay, who wants some of this?! I'm curious to see other opinions and shed some light for those who know nothing about the area.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-19-2008, 02:11 PM

1,253 posts, read 4,716,167 times
Sounds to me like you have an agenda with this post. Trying to sell some homes perhaps?

With 77 traffic going from North to South, I dont think you can label any development north of the city as "most convenient"

Old 12-19-2008, 02:29 PM

210 posts, read 604,631 times
Default Plaza Midwood, Elizabeth, or Dilworth

All very close to uptown, all easy to get to 77 or 85, close to the big hospitals. Dilworth closer to 77, PM/Elizabeth closer to get to Independence Blvd, Matthews, Mint Hill, etc, so maybe a wash. Wouldn't the most centrally located neighborhoods be the most convenient, as long as you have easy access to highways?

Old 12-19-2008, 02:31 PM

Frankly, I don't appreciate your comment and rush to judgement...I don't have any listings in the neighborhood and am therefore not trying to sell any homes. I am not trying to sell my own home and don't plan on doing so. I also do not "farm" the neighborhood. I do live there and until moving there 5 months ago, had no idea it was as nice as it truly is...especially since the northwest portion of the outerbelt was just finished.
Lastly, if you don't think that someone completely unfamiliar with the Charlotte area would appreciate the "knowledge" and input that Charlotteans can give, I'd call you mistaken. Moving to another town can be very overwhelming and quite often people have no idea where to start looking.
My agenda, Frank, is to help.

Old 12-19-2008, 02:31 PM

4,280 posts, read 11,319,274 times
Convenience in a home location can really only be determined after considering where your core activities are located. Our circle of activities (work, shopping, grocery, schools, & clubs) are located within an 8 mile radius from our home. It works for us, but it is not where you mention.

Old 12-19-2008, 02:37 PM

That's a valid statement Plan...I think one of great things about Charlotte is that you CAN get to so many places in a reasonable amount of time. There will always be complaints about traffic, infrastructure, etc but to be about to get from the extreme north side of the county to the extreme south side (Davidson to Ballantyne) in 40-45 minutes is pretty cool

Old 12-19-2008, 07:32 PM

35,879 posts, read 77,519,093 times
I am in S. CLT and my hubby's regional office is only a few minutes from our house . . . and since we use the airport, it is really nice that we can get there quickly. So for us, anything up N on 77 is not going to be convenient.

I agree w/ Mullman - it all depends on what your (and your family's) core activities are.

I personally think where I live is the most convenient area in the whole CLT metro, wh/ is specifically why I chose it. I am w/in three miles of everything I frequent, including physician offices, upscale shopping, variety of grocery stores, pharmacies . . . post office, FedEx, my hair salon, vet . . . I live off Carmel Road inside 51.

I think this is just a very individual thing - what is and what isn't convenient and compatible for a place to live.

Old 12-19-2008, 07:58 PM

3 posts, read 8,131 times
I'm interested in your information. My wife and I are retireing soon and are looking at the charlotte area. We live in the chicago area an d are tried of the weather. We were looking at the Lexington area just outside of Columbus sc. I still like the area but after seeing some of the home value for the money in charlotte it makes me think twice. We will be living on a fixed income, (no pensions) We will be able to pay cash for a home $175 to $200.
What we are needing is an area that has low property tax, low ins. cost & etc. We would like to be near affordable golf and convienent shopping. What do you think about the area around "The Tradition" golf course?

Old 12-19-2008, 08:06 PM
NCN

21,663 posts, read 25,640,043 times
I started to tell you how convenient it is living where we do, but husband said not to. He said "They will all want to move here." LOL

I think convenience is about lifestyle. We are country people and enjoy our location very much.

Old 12-19-2008, 08:33 PM

7,041 posts, read 15,044,665 times
in my opinion, the "most convenient" location would be where I could walk to the grocery store, to work and to most of my shopping and drive only when absolutely necessary.....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte