Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-21-2007, 02:09 PM

11 posts, read 40,025 times

Advertisements

Does anyone on the forum have any experience with the charter school, Metrolina Academy? We are considering a move to Charlotte and are looking at school options for a gifted child.

Appreciate any info.

Thanks,

Jill
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-21-2007, 07:28 PM

35 posts, read 91,566 times
Jill,
I have heard all good things about Metrolina, but, if it matters they do have trailers - like all the other schools trying to keep up with growth in the Charlotte area. I will also send you a PM.

Old 05-22-2007, 06:54 AM

4,139 posts, read 11,491,452 times
I think part of the problem with charter schools is that you have to live in the area by January to apply for the NEXT year. Then, if they have too many applicants they hold a lottery in Feb. or March.

So, if you move down, your child would have to start elsewhere and then transfer in IF she is picked for the lottery.

It is frustrating.

Dawn

Old 06-02-2007, 01:40 PM

1 posts, read 3,877 times
Metrolina Academy is a private school in Indian Trail. Union Academy is a charter school in Monroe. Hope this helps.

Old 06-02-2007, 04:59 PM

14 posts, read 39,703 times
Default Metrolina Academy

The full name is "Metrolina Regional Scholar's Academy". This is a K-8 charter school currently in Ballantyne area. (They temporarily rented part of the space of British American School, which is a private school).

Metrolina is rated "honor school of excellence" (best possible rating). There are lots of parental involvement. The majority of kids in a class study at the level that is 1 grade above, a few at 2 or more grades above. Each year and each class EOG test has been 100% passing grade level.

Here is the school's web link

Metrolina Regional Scholars' Academy - Home

Old 06-02-2007, 06:02 PM

55 posts, read 276,859 times
i called to get my son into 6th grade there../..there is a long wait list....

hoping that the public school gifted programs are good...I spoke with someone at Marvin ridge - since we are coming from out of state - they require retesting.....even with all test results from here - if the tests are more than 2 years old...something to that effect....

otherwise I cannot find any charter schools in Union...for anything - let alone gifted....

let me know if you find out more! thanks

Old 06-02-2007, 06:25 PM

4,139 posts, read 11,491,452 times
There is a charter called Union Academy. It is K-11 next year and they will eventually go to 12th grade. They are also lottery system though.

Dawn

Quote:
Originally Posted by fll-to-clt View Post
i called to get my son into 6th grade there../..there is a long wait list....

hoping that the public school gifted programs are good...I spoke with someone at Marvin ridge - since we are coming from out of state - they require retesting.....even with all test results from here - if the tests are more than 2 years old...something to that effect....

otherwise I cannot find any charter schools in Union...for anything - let alone gifted....

let me know if you find out more! thanks

Old 06-05-2007, 06:54 PM

23 posts, read 123,442 times
Default Scholars' Academy

The school is planning a move in a few years to a more central location (close to Uptown), so that should take care of the trailer situation (there are only a few!). My son attends this school and couldn't be happier -- it's a wonderful place for highly gifted children. The year you have the best chance to get in is Kindergarten...after that there are long wait lists for most grades.

Old 12-02-2012, 07:47 PM

3 posts, read 6,434 times
Ne experiences to share about group test for kindergarten for metrolina regional.thanks
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte