Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-08-2010, 02:57 PM

1,763 posts, read 3,291,861 times

Advertisements

I second Davidson River, we've gone there every year for 10 years. There is a swimming hole, trail and Davidson river right along the Campground. It's in the National Forest yet Brevard with restaurants and shops is only a few minutes away. There's a great ice cream chop right at the entrance to the Forest and the best Toy Store ever in Brevard (OP Taylors). Even though the campground is in the mountains, most of the loops are flat - great for the kids to bike around when they are bored.
The sites fill up quickly though. For reservations go to recreation.gov
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-08-2010, 02:59 PM

45,218 posts, read 100,694,379 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ex-burgher View Post
I second Davidson River, we've gone there every year for 10 years. There is a swimming hole, trail and Davidson river right along the Campground. It's in the National Forest yet Brevard with restaurants and shops is only a few minutes away. There's a great ice cream chop right at the entrance to the Forest and the best Toy Store ever in Brevard (OP Taylors). Even though the campground is in the mountains, most of the loops are flat - great for the kids to bike around when they are bored.
The sites fill up quickly though. For reservations go to recreation.gov
Yeah, my ONLY complaint about it is that it stays packed every weekend during the good weather. But it is a great place for kids to bike, you're right. I just like a campground better when it's only half full or less

Old 01-08-2010, 03:02 PM

530 posts, read 1,182,191 times
Anyone else love the wilderness camping at Wilson Creek (Brown Mountain). I've been a few times back before having the little ones. Not someplace I'd take them now... I can't wait till they're old enough!!

Wilson Creek Wilderness Area
Hiking the Wilson Creek Area, Pisgah National Forest, NC
Friends of Wilson Creek
Upper Wilson Creek Area (http://www.cs.unca.edu/nfsnc/nfnc_fishing/upper_wilson_creek_area.htm - broken link)
Collettsville NC National Park - Wilson Creek Wild and Scenic River

Old 01-08-2010, 03:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GO PANTHERS!! View Post
Anyone else love the wilderness camping at Wilson Creek (Brown Mountain). I've been a few times back before having the little ones. Not someplace I'd take them now... I can't wait till they're old enough!!

Wilson Creek Wilderness Area
Hiking the Wilson Creek Area, Pisgah National Forest, NC
Friends of Wilson Creek
Upper Wilson Creek Area (http://www.cs.unca.edu/nfsnc/nfnc_fishing/upper_wilson_creek_area.htm - broken link)
Collettsville NC National Park - Wilson Creek Wild and Scenic River
Wilson Creek is beautiful, but like you said, not a place I'd camp with little ones either. Nearby Tablerock is actaully one of my favorite places to backpack, if you ever go again without your boys.

Old 01-08-2010, 07:46 PM

445 posts, read 1,166,380 times
Morrow Mountain would be perfect for a "trial run". It's very nice, with a swimming pool, canoeing, snack bar. It's very close by, so if it turns out, they're not quite ready, it won't be a big deal - just pack up and go home.

Old 01-08-2010, 08:17 PM

4,507 posts, read 9,060,246 times
We've been to River Creek Campground. It's just east of Chimney Rock and the Broad River runs through the campground so kids can fish, tube and swim on-site. They offer long tubing runs down river but I don't think they take anyone under 8. Anyway, the kids liked it there when they were younger and DH and I liked being a bit out of town (it's quieter) but still close enough to drive into Lake Lure for an afternoon. Honestly, they kept busy enough at the campground that most days we didn't go anywhere.

Old 01-08-2010, 08:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NCyank View Post
We've been to River Creek Campground. It's just east of Chimney Rock and the Broad River runs through the campground so kids can fish, tube and swim on-site. They offer long tubing runs down river but I don't think they take anyone under 8. Anyway, the kids liked it there when they were younger and DH and I liked being a bit out of town (it's quieter) but still close enough to drive into Lake Lure for an afternoon. Honestly, they kept busy enough at the campground that most days we didn't go anywhere.
This is another good campground for sure. I liked it even better in the winter when there were no other campers around our site and we could enjoy a roaring fire in front of the water It is indeed nice for kids and the owners keep the place in good shape and are very friendly

Old 01-08-2010, 08:33 PM

4,507 posts, read 9,060,246 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lovesMountains View Post
This is another good campground for sure. I liked it even better in the winter when there were no other campers around our site and we could enjoy a roaring fire in front of the water It is indeed nice for kids and the owners keep the place in good shape and are very friendly
I can second this as well. Jeff and Cindy (owners) are good people. They have a lot of 'regulars' which is a good sign. We talked about going up this winter but now we're going to wait until it warms up a bit. There's a bit too much 'winter' up there, lol.

OP, I forgot to mention...if you are tent camping, all the tent sites are covered, shaded as well, some are right on the water. We don't tent camp anymore but covered sites sure are nice!!

Old 01-08-2010, 08:33 PM

530 posts, read 1,182,191 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lovesMountains View Post
How fast/deep is the water? My boys are pretty young. Barely know how to swim yet...

Old 01-08-2010, 08:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GO PANTHERS!! View Post
How fast/deep is the water? My boys are pretty young. Barely know how to swim yet...
That's the nice thing about it - the water there is pretty shallow and slow moving, as opposed to the water at Hickory Nut Falls, which is swift moving and harder to stand in.

Here are some pics for you, I liked being able to be right over the water:

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte