Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-13-2010, 02:43 PM

10 posts, read 20,520 times

Advertisements

What would you say the difference between Blakeney and Ballantyne is? We saw Ballantyne on our visit and really like the area. We're only thinking north end because of commute and larger house and yard.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-13-2010, 02:59 PM

969 posts, read 1,958,773 times
Ballantyne and Blakeney (which is pretty much just a big outdoor shopping center) are pretty much the same area. They are about 5 miles apart. If your husband is working in the University Area, you should look North of Charlotte. I would recommend looking at Huntersville, Cornelius, and Davidson (which reminds me of Roswell). Also, the last segment of I-485 is scheduled to begin construction this year and should be complete in a 3-4 years, which will significantly reduce your husbands commute to I-85 and the University Area.

Old 01-13-2010, 03:16 PM

10 posts, read 20,520 times
How are the schools in Huntersville, Cornelius, and Davidson compared to the Ballantyne area?

Old 01-13-2010, 03:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MovingFromAlpharetta View Post
How are the schools in Huntersville, Cornelius, and Davidson compared to the Ballantyne area?
The schools are good. I believe North Mecklenburg HS has a better reputation than Hopewell HS, but someone can correct me if I am wrong. Also, a new HS is opening next school year in Cornelius that will serve that town as well as Davidson.

http://www.cms.k12.nc.us/cmsdepartme...es.aspx?id=144

Also, if you prefer the Ballantyne/Blakeney areas, anywhere between 521 (Johnston Rd) and NC 16 (Providence Road) would work. Your husband could take 485 all the way up to the University Area and bypass the more congested routes. The 485 way is probably about a 30-45 minute commute.

Last edited by mike7586; 01-13-2010 at 04:09 PM..

Old 01-13-2010, 03:42 PM

1,513 posts, read 3,359,953 times
I'd have to ask but I believe our nanny lived in the University area and commuted to S. Charlotte and it took her about 20-30 minutes during rush hour. I can check with her tomorrow.

Old 01-13-2010, 04:34 PM

1,176 posts, read 2,687,192 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mike7586 View Post
Ballantyne and Blakeney (which is pretty much just a big outdoor shopping center) are pretty much the same area. They are about 5 miles apart. If your husband is working in the University Area, you should look North of Charlotte. I would recommend looking at Huntersville, Cornelius, and Davidson (which reminds me of Roswell). Also, the last segment of I-485 is scheduled to begin construction this year and should be complete in a 3-4 years, which will significantly reduce your husbands commute to I-85 and the University Area.
Roswell - now that's funny. Roswell is nothing like Davidson, Cornelius, Huntersville. Roswell is slightly Urban/Suburban, with million subdivsions, and expensive older neighborhoods. I could see comparing Roswell to South Park. Maybe Alpharetta to South Park.

Old 01-13-2010, 05:34 PM

445 posts, read 1,166,461 times
There are some wonderful areas in the general University area. I am sure the folks who told you that you don't want to live there all live in south Charlotte. The Highland Creek neighborhood is nice with lots of family activities. The schools for that area are pretty good, I think.

You may also want to consider Harrisburg which is very near to the University area but is in Cabarrus County. Good schools and a little more rural feel. South Charlotte is NOT the only decent place to live in this town despite what some people think.

Old 01-13-2010, 06:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrdkb View Post
Roswell - now that's funny. Roswell is nothing like Davidson, Cornelius, Huntersville. Roswell is slightly Urban/Suburban, with million subdivsions, and expensive older neighborhoods. I could see comparing Roswell to South Park. Maybe Alpharetta to South Park.
"Downtown" Roswell reminds me of "Downtown" Davidson is what I meant. It is sort of like a "mini" Roswell. I never said in my post that Davidson is exactly like Roswell and I realize that Atlanta's suburbs are larger, wealthier, and more established than the towns around here. I've been to the Atlanta area many times and I would actually like to move there, but you don't have to be so snoody about a simple observation.

Old 01-14-2010, 07:23 AM

1,513 posts, read 3,359,953 times
I want to update you on the time it took to drive for my nanny for her previous family in S. Charlotte coming from University area.

She took 485 and around 6 or so in the morning it took about 30-45 min, and after 6 at night definitely 45 min.

Old 01-14-2010, 11:14 AM

1,176 posts, read 2,687,192 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mike7586 View Post
"Downtown" Roswell reminds me of "Downtown" Davidson is what I meant. It is sort of like a "mini" Roswell. I never said in my post that Davidson is exactly like Roswell and I realize that Atlanta's suburbs are larger, wealthier, and more established than the towns around here. I've been to the Atlanta area many times and I would actually like to move there, but you don't have to be so snoody about a simple observation.
Sorry
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte