Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-28-2010, 05:24 PM

9,116 posts, read 17,724,581 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mullman View Post
Hot Dogs are cheap food, not $7 creations, just IMHO obviously.

You can make the same argument for BBQ or other type of "cheap" cuts/meat. For me and many others, they would pay a little more for a fried dog all the way.

Its not out of the possibility for him to succeed..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-29-2010, 08:05 AM

4,010 posts, read 10,210,698 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CouponJack View Post
You can make the same argument for BBQ or other type of "cheap" cuts/meat..... .
I don't think you can if you are going to be selling in a Southern environment. Natives will pay good money for good BBQ. They won't pay good money for a "good" hotdog whatever that might be. Pulled pork BBQ here isn't from a cheap cut of meat and it takes a lot of labor to make to create the hickory smoke and to cook the pork properly to make the good stuff. This is one of the reasons that you don't see many BBQ houses in Charlotte.

Old 01-29-2010, 08:44 AM

1,554 posts, read 3,368,314 times
Once and for all, are we talking about sausage and pepper hero sandwiches? I have no idea what an Italian hot dog is and have never heard the term in 30 years in and around NYC and Bergen County. Grew up in a prodomintantly Italian neighborhood. I'm completely baffled.

Old 01-29-2010, 08:50 AM

All right. I have to eat crow. I remember a place in Little Ferry we used to go to pretty often called Callahan's. i googles it. It's still there and the menu is posted. And guess what's on it? You guess it. italian hot dogs, complete with a photo! I just never heard them called that! If you can open a place with food as good as Callahan's, you'll be fine. I would take a serious look into available distributers though.

Old 01-29-2010, 08:56 AM

1,852 posts, read 5,219,832 times
If you make me one now I will give you $5!!

Um location, location, location. If you plan well, you can open in 2010 and it will start off slow, but it's all about brining people back. I would not go to Southpark, differnt crowd. I would try near an office or a commuter area.

Old 01-29-2010, 09:18 AM

If something like this opened in Ballantyne, I'd eat there at least three times a week. There is nothing, nothing, nothing but chains down here (with the exception of Villa Antonio's which I can't justify/afford more than once or twice a month). There are literally hundreds of office workers in the campus where I work. Most of the people who sit on my floor bring their lunch to work with them because there's nothing nearby.

Old 01-29-2010, 09:19 AM

149 posts, read 410,266 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by arp1500 View Post
We moved to Charlotte form NJ 3 years ago and always said there wasn't any italian hotdog or italian sausage sandwich places and with all the people from up north in the charlotte area we decided to look onto opening one in Charlotte and i figured i would post a thread about it and see what feedback i got.

And if your from up north you have heard of Jimmy Buffs "the buffer", Rutts hut "the ripper", Joe Joe's etc.

So let us know what you think...Thanks
If you can make a dog like Jimmy B's in Irvington or Scotch Plains, I'll be there.

Old 01-29-2010, 09:25 AM

1,350 posts, read 3,782,908 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by southbound_295 View Post
Do you use frying peppers on those?
I use red and green bell peppers.

Old 01-29-2010, 09:31 AM

1,350 posts, read 3,782,908 times
I think if you are able to get an 8 page discussion on Italian hot dogs on this forum you might have a chance of having a successful business .

Old 01-29-2010, 09:32 AM

23,814 posts, read 34,675,688 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lumbollo View Post
I don't think you can if you are going to be selling in a Southern environment. Natives will pay good money for good BBQ. They won't pay good money for a "good" hotdog whatever that might be. Pulled pork BBQ here isn't from a cheap cut of meat and it takes a lot of labor to make to create the hickory smoke and to cook the pork properly to make the good stuff. This is one of the reasons that you don't see many BBQ houses in Charlotte.
lumbollo, as I've said, you & mullman make very valid points. If the OP can find the perfect place, with enough folks from Bergen County & the immediate area, he could do well. However, it would seem to me that the odds of success would be greatly increased by adding items that would draw in other people.

The Italian sausage sandwiches are sold in the Philly area, but other items are more popular there. As I've said, the food in Philly & South Jersey includes plenty of Italian items, but it is also more MidAtlantic & has more in common with Baltimore, DC, & Richmond. Also, barbeque gets much more popular from Philly south, so that might be something that he should look at adding, since it would appeal to natives, here, as well.

There used to be a lot of open pit barbeque places in South Jersey, but many either closed or were driven out to more rural areas in recent years, because of tax increases.

Now, this is a link to a place in the suburb that I used to live in. It's a chain. Red Hot & Blue Restaurant – Cherry Hill New Jersey Restaurant Menus – Cherryhillmenus.com
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte