Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-01-2010, 12:57 PM

35,879 posts, read 77,506,170 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by southbound_295 View Post
Ani, a couple of years ago I remember you asked about getting the whiskey barrel planters. I saw some at Lowes the other day. If you don't have a need, maybe someone else will.
I got one that year but this year I want two more. Glad you said something cause we keep forgetting to look for them when we are at Lowes. Gonna write that on my list. They have worked out PERFECTLY for my herbs! Coudn't be more pleased. And this year, I want to put cucumbers in one, but have to find the right cukes. I want the old fashioned little white ones to make pickles out of. I guess I better start searching for seeds. I have put this off and I am going to get left behind this year if I don't get a grip on the season being right around the corner!!!

(Or is that impossible to do cukes in a barrel? I was thinking - w/ a trellis???)

Maybe I should just put peppers in one.

Also, how much light would I need to plant pumpkins? I want to do them on our hill so the deer can eat them, lol. I have given up - they are here at least 2 x a day now - and so we thought this year, we would plant something for them and maybe they will stay out of our other stuff.

Last year, they even ate the tomato plants (stems and all) down to a few inches above the ground!!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-01-2010, 01:09 PM

23,814 posts, read 34,693,648 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by anifani821 View Post
I got one that year but this year I want two more. Glad you said something cause we keep forgetting to look for them when we are at Lowes. Gonna write that on my list. They have worked out PERFECTLY for my herbs! Coudn't be more pleased. And this year, I want to put cucumbers in one, but have to find the right cukes. I want the old fashioned little white ones to make pickles out of. I guess I better start searching for seeds. I have put this off and I am going to get left behind this year if I don't get a grip on the season being right around the corner!!!

(Or is that impossible to do cukes in a barrel? I was thinking - w/ a trellis???)

Maybe I should just put peppers in one.

Also, how much light would I need to plant pumpkins? I want to do them on our hill so the deer can eat them, lol. I have given up - they are here at least 2 x a day now - and so we thought this year, we would plant something for them and maybe they will stay out of our other stuff.

Last year, they even ate the tomato plants (stems and all) down to a few inches above the ground!!!!
Ani, last year I accidently grew pumpkins. The seeds were mixed in with yellow squash seeds that were almost identical. The garden is in full sun & those suckers grew like wild fire.

I'd put peppers in the barrel. with something low & flowering at the base.

I save hair when I brush mine to put out in garden areas. It's a great deterrent for rabbits & squirrels. I don't know if it will work for deer.

Old 03-01-2010, 01:12 PM

Quote:
Ani, last year I accidently grew pumpkins. The seeds were mixed in with yellow squash seeds that were almost identical. The garden is in full sun & those suckers grew like wild fire.

I'd put peppers in the barrel. with something low & flowering at the base.

I save hair when I brush mine to put out in garden areas. It's a great deterrent for rabbits & squirrels. I don't know if it will work for deer.
Okay, maybe I better find a different place for the cukes. Or just not grow them. We have such limited direct sun (too many trees that throw shadows).

I have used the hair but it hasn't stopped the deer. If it cuts back on rabbits and squirrels, that would still help, tho!

I am worried that the hill doesn't get enuff direct sun for pumpkins.

Old 03-01-2010, 01:18 PM

Quote:
Okay, maybe I better find a different place for the cukes. Or just not grow them. We have such limited direct sun (too many trees that throw shadows).

I have used the hair but it hasn't stopped the deer. If it cuts back on rabbits and squirrels, that would still help, tho!

I am worried that the hill doesn't get enuff direct sun for pumpkins.
I'll have to look later, but I think that dried blood is a deterent for deer. (I'm in & out raking & burning leaves.)

I've had reasonable success with vegetables in semi shade if the sun hits in the afternoon.

Old 03-01-2010, 01:24 PM

Quote:
I'll have to look later, but I think that dried blood is a deterent for deer. (I'm in & out raking & burning leaves.)

I've had reasonable success with vegetables in semi shade if the sun hits in the afternoon.
I will measure how much light we get from noon on. I am thinking I won't get much b/c the hill is directly north and trees are on east and west, but I will watch the next few days and see if there is even a strip somewhere that gets steady sun.

Old 03-01-2010, 01:28 PM

3,774 posts, read 8,197,915 times
Quote:
I will measure how much light we get from noon on. I am thinking I won't get much b/c the hill is directly north and trees are on east and west, but I will watch the next few days and see if there is even a strip somewhere that gets steady sun.
keep in mind the sun will be rising in the sky over the next few months.

I don't know about others, but my sun patterns differ widely from summer to winter...

Old 03-01-2010, 02:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Native_Son View Post
keep in mind the sun will be rising in the sky over the next few months.

I don't know about others, but my sun patterns differ widely from summer to winter...
Yep. But I am thinking our conclusion last year was that the trees throw shadows and then the house also throws shadows . . . and there is never enough free space in the middle of that hill to get direct sunlight, lol. I figure it it isn't getting it now, it isn't getting it later, either. Think of it as a U. North would be at the bottom of the U. The only time the sun is direct and not throwing shadows from the trees (on each leg of the U) is a little before noon and a little afternoon. I am thinking maybe around 11ish to 2 pm at the max. So that isn't much direct light . . . ?? Wonder if that would be enuff for a punkin patch????

Old 03-01-2010, 03:10 PM

Quote:
Yep. But I am thinking our conclusion last year was that the trees throw shadows and then the house also throws shadows . . . and there is never enough free space in the middle of that hill to get direct sunlight, lol. I figure it it isn't getting it now, it isn't getting it later, either. Think of it as a U. North would be at the bottom of the U. The only time the sun is direct and not throwing shadows from the trees (on each leg of the U) is a little before noon and a little afternoon. I am thinking maybe around 11ish to 2 pm at the max. So that isn't much direct light . . . ?? Wonder if that would be enuff for a punkin patch????
Here's a couple of links for growing pumpkins, Ani.

http://www.sadako.com/pumpkin/growing.html

Growing Pumpkins

Old 03-01-2010, 03:11 PM

Quote:
Here's a couple of links for growing pumpkins, Ani.

http://www.sadako.com/pumpkin/growing.html

Growing Pumpkins
Thanks, SB. Great idea - appreciate the links!

Old 03-01-2010, 03:15 PM

Quote:
Thanks, SB. Great idea - appreciate the links!
You're welcome, Ani. One of the links suggests container gardening. Maybe you could put a barrel on a platform with wheels?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte