Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-30-2010, 04:12 PM

33 posts, read 106,684 times

Advertisements

My wife and I are really looking forward to moving to Charlotte in a few months. I was just there last weekend. I was told by some people that South Charlotte was the best place to live. Would someone share some information with me about South Charlotte, Southwest and Southeast Charlotte too. We have two young children too. 3 and 7 years old. I live in Eastern North Carolina, but I'm used to city life because I have lived in Baltimore and Philadelphia.

Also I'm looking for an Executive Chef or a Executive Sous Chef position. How is the job market in the greater Charlotte area for food service professionals? I have 24 years experiience in food service. I have worked in Baltimore, Philadelphia, New Jersey and North Carolina with stops in Denver and Washington, DC. Anyone know of any leads please e-mail me at christianbrother2001@yahoo.com

I have visited many large cities in the US and Charlotee seem to be a lovely city. I know the crime rate is high but most large cities in the US has that problem.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-30-2010, 04:50 PM

7,041 posts, read 15,039,953 times
Please see the other thread showing that our unemployment rate is now up to 12%.

With that kind of unemployment, restaurants are closing down rapidly. Not a good time to try to move.

Have the job IN HAND first, then decide where to move.

Old 01-30-2010, 06:47 PM

1,051 posts, read 1,598,740 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OIT2GOD View Post
My wife and I are really looking forward to moving to Charlotte in a few months. I was just there last weekend. I was told by some people that South Charlotte was the best place to live. Would someone share some information with me about South Charlotte, Southwest and Southeast Charlotte too. We have two young children too. 3 and 7 years old. I live in Eastern North Carolina, but I'm used to city life because I have lived in Baltimore and Philadelphia.

Also I'm looking for an Executive Chef or a Executive Sous Chef position. How is the job market in the greater Charlotte area for food service professionals? I have 24 years experiience in food service. I have worked in Baltimore, Philadelphia, New Jersey and North Carolina with stops in Denver and Washington, DC. Anyone know of any leads please e-mail me at christianbrother2001@yahoo.com

I have visited many large cities in the US and Charlotee seem to be a lovely city. I know the crime rate is high but most large cities in the US has that problem.
I am also a cook. I will tell you this 90% or more of the restaurants in Charlotte are chains such as Ruth Chris, Mortons, Del Friscos, and many others. If I were you I would look into the country clubs or hotels such as the Omni is looking for Sous and a possible Exec. I think the Westin is also hiring for atleast a Sous. Look at the acf-charlotte.org under the job listing here ACF - Charlotte: Charlotte Jobs for jobs too.

Old 01-30-2010, 07:55 PM

45,217 posts, read 100,729,092 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pumbaa View Post
I am also a cook. I will tell you this 90% or more of the restaurants in Charlotte are chains such as Ruth Chris, Mortons, Del Friscos, and many others. If I were you I would look into the country clubs or hotels such as the Omni is looking for Sous and a possible Exec. I think the Westin is also hiring for atleast a Sous. Look at the acf-charlotte.org under the job listing here ACF - Charlotte: Charlotte Jobs for jobs too.
This is good info I hope it is helpful to our OP! I was also thinking maybe Ballantyne Resort would be worth a look for him?

Old 01-30-2010, 08:40 PM

1,051 posts, read 1,598,740 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lovesMountains View Post
This is good info I hope it is helpful to our OP! I was also thinking maybe Ballantyne Resort would be worth a look for him?
Line cooks only as I applied there Exec Sous Chef Kelly is not going anywhere soon and he is an awesome guy. Though they may be looking for an Exec since I have heard the Exec left. But I know for sure the Omni is looking and I am pretty sure the Westin is look since chef Rusthoven left.

Old 01-31-2010, 02:10 AM

33 posts, read 106,684 times
Default Thanks for the Information

Thanks for the information. I'm going to fax my resume to those places and check out a few other places. Also could someone tell me about South Charlotte, Southwest and Southeast Charlotte too. I'm coming to Charlotte every two weeks to seach for empolyment and to get to know the city. I'm not going to do like some people just show up with no plan in mind. Please feel free to share more information with me. I did not know that Charlotte was bigger than Altanta. What is Mayor Cox and the Charlotte Police game plan about the the crime in Charlotte>

Old 01-31-2010, 05:16 PM

45,217 posts, read 100,729,092 times
Quote:
Thanks for the information. I'm going to fax my resume to those places and check out a few other places. Also could someone tell me about South Charlotte, Southwest and Southeast Charlotte too. I'm coming to Charlotte every two weeks to seach for empolyment and to get to know the city. I'm not going to do like some people just show up with no plan in mind. Please feel free to share more information with me. I did not know that Charlotte was bigger than Altanta. What is Mayor Cox and the Charlotte Police game plan about the the crime in Charlotte>
Not sure what Mayor Fox's plans are, but our new(ish) police chief, Rodney Monroe, has been doing a pretty good job of getting crime numbers down since he got here about 2 years ago. I think there were only about 51 murders in Charlotte last year, compared to about 85 a year in recent years.

South Charlotte can be pricey but does have the most stability in all of Charlotte in its housing market. There are nice places to be found from east to west though, so you'll have many options.

Old 02-01-2010, 02:48 AM

604 posts, read 1,307,632 times
This is a rule of life.
You must know someone to get a job.
You must work your way up.
School is a scam.

Old 02-01-2010, 12:26 PM

3,574 posts, read 14,343,748 times
Quote:

Don't you have any leads from your "...24 years experiience in food service. ....in Baltimore, Philadelphia, New Jersey and North Carolina " My son is in the industry and it's hard to break into the field without contacts.

Old 02-01-2010, 12:32 PM

4,010 posts, read 10,213,098 times
Quote:
.... I did not know that Charlotte was bigger than Altanta. What is Mayor Cox and the Charlotte Police game plan about the the crime in Charlotte>
It's not beyond the technical definition of city. You are comparing municipal boundaries which are not comparable in GA vs NC. Atlanta is split right down the middle by two different counties. Atlanta metro is about 5M vs 1.7M for CLT.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte