Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-15-2010, 04:34 PM

969 posts, read 1,959,647 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by lumbollo View Post
All in All it was a huge expense, and loss of public venue for 43 NBA games/year. (which don't even sell out now. one of the promises of this by it's boosters was that it would lead to an economic revival and huge interest in downtown.)
Are you crazy? The arena has certainly brought a lot more people downtown. The Tyvola Road site was terrible. I remember going to Hornets games and the traffic to get in, park, and get out sucked. Instead of sitting in a long line of traffic with only one way in and out and walking to and from your car in a giant parking lot, you can walk to restaurants, bars, nightclubs, a bowling alley, movies, etc. and make a whole night out of it. It should have been built downtown in the first place!

PS - The games might not "sell out", but they have gotten considerably more crowded. It's fun and if the Bobcats win, more people will come to the games and one day, it will sell out! Also, many of the events and concerts do sell out on a regular basis.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-15-2010, 04:54 PM

4,713 posts, read 9,704,291 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stephen424 View Post
Hoagie,

I agree. I think people complain about the Bobcats just to have something to complain about.
And it's probably a small % of race hate mixed in as well
Well I happen to think Bob Johnson is a complete and utter twit. His race has nothing to do with that fact.

Old 02-15-2010, 04:57 PM

236 posts, read 806,730 times
Tober,

First of all, whats a "twit"...
I'll assume that it's something negative. So explain your beef with Bob Johnson please (since I'm sure you know nothing about him)

Old 02-15-2010, 05:07 PM

4,010 posts, read 10,213,963 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by baybook View Post
You said
"The city was also spending $1M -$2M in security costs/game."

Where did you get this figure. .....

Also, I was here when CMS was going to be charged for using the venue. Curious if they were not charged whereever the had graduations in the past??.....
Answer to the first question was the price to bring in police on overtime. I made a typo, I should have said/year. On the second question the answer is no.

Old 02-15-2010, 05:11 PM

1,877 posts, read 4,866,734 times
Quote:
Answer to the first question was the price to bring in police on overtime. I made a typo, I should have said/year. On the second question the answer is no.
Ummmmm...the police at security aren't there on overtime. They're paid by the arena. Dont know where you get all these little tidbits, but perhaps you should do some fact checking before putting out false information. Oh, and because I know you'll ask- I am friends with an officer who provides security at the games, so yes, I know what I'm talking about.

Old 02-15-2010, 05:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoagie58 View Post
Ummmmm...the police at security aren't there on overtime. They're paid by the arena. Dont know where you get all these little tidbits,....
Perhaps then you can provide some proof of this since you are so quick to demand this of others. And when you do come up with something make sure it is in the context of what I actually posted and then corrected. I admitted my mistake. If your only purpose here is to beat people on the head after they admit it, then I would put that in the trolling category. Please feel free to dispute anything else I posted, but I think you will find that it is all accurate. I do admit when I am wrong.

Old 02-15-2010, 05:25 PM

Quote:
Perhaps then you can provide some proof of this since you are so quick to demand this of others. And when you do come up with something make sure it is in the context of what I actually posted and then corrected. I admitted my mistake. If your only purpose here is to beat people on the head after they admit it, then I would put that in the trolling category. Please feel free to dispute anything else I posted, but I think you will find that it is all accurate. I do admit when I am wrong.
You said "Answer to the first question was the price to bring in police on overtime. I made a typo, I should have said/year. On the second question the answer is no.", to which I said that the officers are paid by the organization and not the city. I'm not seeing where I need to correct anything.

Call it trolling, if that's what helps you sleep at night, but you've already shown your dislike for ANYTHING Bobcats in MULTIPLE posts. I am simply setting the record straight, since your post was misleading and inflammatory.

Old 02-15-2010, 05:26 PM

^I didn't think you had anything. Case Closed. The city was paying this fee, not the team.

I stand by what I said earlier.

Old 02-15-2010, 05:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by stephen424 View Post
Hoagie,

I agree. I think people complain about the Bobcats just to have something to complain about.
And it's probably a small % of race hate mixed in as well
Certainly there are plenty of people like that. There's also a large number of people who write things that aren't true, all in an effort to discredit the organization. You dont have to look too far, or too hard to find folks who tell downright lies to prove their point.

Bottom line is, the organization is here. Regardless of the ownership, other than disolving the team, there's no way their leaving any time soon. Sure, they got some pretty good incentives, but that's the way business is done. Same thing happened recently with Dell- given millions in incentives to build in the Triad, but now they're packing up and sending those jobs offshore. Its just the price of business these days.

Old 02-15-2010, 07:58 PM

2,340 posts, read 4,631,920 times
Still wondering, where did the figure 1-2 mill in CMPD overtime come from?? Is there a report the city or department puts out?

Quote:
This only generates a fraction of the cost to pay for the arena. It cost ~$265M - $300M depending upon what was counted. In order to pay for it, the banks in town loaned about a 1/3 of this which was repaid by selling off tax payer owned land and other assets. Part of the deal also included tearing down the Charlotte Coliseum which was built as a general purpose for the citizens of Mecklenburg and which was voted in by the public. Because it was not specific to the NBA however it didn't have the things needed to make money for an NBA team so the deal included getting rid of this facility. It was torn down a couple of years ago and was the biggest arena in the Carolinas.

There were other numerous shell games, procedures and "found money" to make this project happen. The end result is the $300M Bobcats arena, the Bobcats get exclusive use of it, and they also receive all revenue generated by not only NBA events but anything else held there. i.e. rock concerts (what few there are), other sports events, etc. They even tried to charge CMS to hold high school graduations at the facility at something like $15,000/pop. This generated a particular amount of outrage and the Johnson decided it was a bad idea. The Bobcats do not pay property taxes on the facility. The city was also spending $1M -$2M in security costs/game.

The Charlotte Coliseum, as I mentioned earlier, was built as a general purpose facility for the public and the biggest reason for building it at the time was that it was also the largest indoor arena in the Carolinas. The rationale for building it was that many concerts were bypassing Charlotte for Greensboro and Columbia because their arenas seat more than the one in Charlotte. That got forgotten in the push for this Bobcats arena which seats significantly less than the Coliseum due to the skyboxes, and therefore concerts are again bypassing Charlotte. Greensboro has the largest indoor arena in the Carolinas as it did in the 1980s. I believe there is a new one under construction in Columbia as well.

All in All it was a huge expense, and loss of public venue for 43 NBA games/year. (which don't even sell out now. one of the promises of this by it's boosters was that it would lead to an economic revival and huge interest in downtown.)
Quote:
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte