Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-02-2007, 03:03 PM

1,080 posts, read 4,587,473 times

Advertisements

My better half......retired.......has been volunteering for the last 10 yrs, at Art Museums giving lectures, hands on stuff for school kids, he's quite knowledgeable about art or other topics .......right now he's at a art museum in Tarpon Springs, Fl. but if we make the move to NC......I've sure he would want to get involved with some museum. We're thinking of locating in the Huntersville/Concord area.

Have any suggestions where he could look to volunteer? Thanks

BTW love all the information I'm getting on this forum, I'm taking notes just about everything so by the time we go to visit we should be OK.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-02-2007, 03:08 PM

73 posts, read 247,253 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Songbird42 View Post
My better half......retired.......has been volunteering for the last 10 yrs, at Art Museums giving lectures, hands on stuff for school kids, he's quite knowledgeable about art or other topics .......right now he's at a art museum in Tarpon Springs, Fl. but if we make the move to NC......I've sure he would want to get involved with some museum. We're thinking of locating in the Huntersville/Concord area.

Have any suggestions where he could look to volunteer? Thanks

BTW love all the information I'm getting on this forum, I'm taking notes just about everything so by the time we go to visit we should be OK.
Good Luck Searching. Huntersville is amazing, but there is a lot of traffic up there. Some places I would think of right away is the Mint Museum and the Museum of the New South (a history museum). There are a lot of volunteer opportunities in Charlotte, my wife volunteers at the Nevins Group once in a while which is a school for disabled children.

Old 06-02-2007, 04:03 PM

94 posts, read 356,444 times
There are loads of museums and historic sites that use - and depend quite heavily - on volunteers. If you're specifically looking at art museums, the Mint and Mint Museum of Craft + Design have a large volunteer corps (although they require a good deal of training as well). Since I work in the historic site community I'm biased towards history, and have to recommend the Hezekiah Alexander Homesite as one of the best place to volunteer at - volunteers do school and public tours of the historic house, as well as public events. More local to Huntersville are Latta Plantation and Rural Hill.

One place to begin your search for arts organizations is the Arts and Science Council (ASC) website. Know that many sites simply could not offer their programs and tours without dedicated volunteers, and I'm sure you could find a place that make a good match.

Old 06-02-2007, 04:16 PM

4,729 posts, read 19,430,380 times
Also, for volunteering check Hands on Charlotte. They are a great non-profit that connects agencies with volunteers.

Old 06-03-2007, 12:37 PM

1,384 posts, read 1,914,772 times
I agree with the above, and will add that Discovery Place needs volunteer docents as well. Link (scroll down to "adult volunteers"):
DISCOVERY PLACE | igniting wonder since 1981 | CHARLOTTE NATURE MUSEUM | IMAX | Discovery Place with the Charlotte Observer IMAX Dome Theater and the Charlotte Nature Musuem are the things to do in Uptown Charlotte, North Carolina. Visit the Discover (http://www.discoveryplace.org/home/discovery_place-volunteer_opportunities.php - broken link)

In addition, ushers at the Blumenthal Performing Arts Center get to volunteer and see the shows for free! I did that in college to see free shows, and I was the only volunteer under the age of 50. Link:
North Carolina Blumenthal Performing Arts Center

Other opportunities at the PAC other than ushering is leading tour groups around the PAC.

Charlotte Center City Partners needs Ambassadors: Charlotte Center City Partners
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte