Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-13-2009, 10:51 AM

3,774 posts, read 8,197,915 times

Advertisements

Anyone in Charlotte switch from Time Warner to Uverse? Thoughts? Good? Bad? the same? Thinking of switching internet and cable to UVerse since it's now available in my area.

I'm considering switching for the following reasons:
1. HD signal quality isn't that great with TWC, hear it's supposed to be better with UVerse.
2. Spotty service... lots of hiccups and jerks, especially with popular shows
3. Paying for 7mb upload speed, but rarely test above 2.5 (internet speed)
4. Sick of hearing about my buds "killer deals" they get from TWC when I can't get squat from them despite over 10 consecutive years as a customer.

What worries me:
1. Will my internet be slower with UVerse 3mb service?
2. Will I get the same sports channels? I *need* my sports! I need Fox Sports South, and the U, and 360, and... well you get the picture.
3. Will I be able to cut costs?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-13-2009, 11:16 AM

4,010 posts, read 10,213,963 times
If you want lots of HD & sports channels with excellent quality then get a satellite dish. Neither land line service comes close to comparing. You can keep your internet on either TWC or ATT as they sell it a-la-cart.

Old 12-13-2009, 11:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lumbollo View Post
If you want lots of HD & sports channels with excellent quality then get a satellite dish. Neither land line service comes close to comparing. You can keep your internet on either TWC or ATT as they sell it a-la-cart.
Unfortunately satellite is not one of my options... too many big oaks around my house. I've had the direct tv guys out twice (an initial assessment, and once after I did some serious pruning) and both times they told me the signal was a no-go... I even priced removal of one of the trees but decided it just wasn't worth it (almost $5K to remove the largest, closest willow oak... with no guarantee it would free up enough sky space).

Old 12-13-2009, 11:59 AM

35,879 posts, read 77,506,170 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Native_Son View Post
Unfortunately satellite is not one of my options... too many big oaks around my house. I've had the direct tv guys out twice (an initial assessment, and once after I did some serious pruning) and both times they told me the signal was a no-go... I even priced removal of one of the trees but decided it just wasn't worth it (almost $5K to remove the largest, closest willow oak... with no guarantee it would free up enough sky space).
I have the same problem - huge oaks. We can't get a satellite signal well here, either.

I know two folks who have gotten UVerse and are thrilled. I hope someone will come on and tell you what their experiences have been, cause hubby and I were just discussing this again Friday nite, as our sound kept cutting in and out w/ TW . . . and the picture was off for several hours later that nite. A month doesn't go by that we have some kind of problem w/ reception, and they have already added boosters, etc here in our house.

There was an older thread on the forum about UVerse and everyone's experiences seemed to be very positive, but I would like to know more about cost (longterm - not just a "special" deal for six months).

Old 12-14-2009, 12:20 PM

1,117 posts, read 2,809,060 times
I just got UVerse installed last week (cable, internet and landline), but I've been out of town and haven't been able to extensively test it yet....however initially I'm very pleased.
I like that I can DVR a program downstairs and watch it upstairs, for instance.
I can fast-forward my DVR programs much faster than I could with TWC.
The overall digital interface of the cable service is more modern and so far has been much smoother than TWC.

I haven't had channels lock-up or pixelate yet either, but I'm not sure how much of that had to do with the TWC DVR equipment itself and not the actual feed.

As far as savings comparisons go, it'll really depend on your personal tier selections. For instance, I would have been very happy opting for for the U200 tier and saving money on my plan, except that it was missing 1 specialized channel that I watch a lot (and it wasn't available a la carte) so I took the next tier, U300. In terms of channel comparison, my TWC plan was in between the U300 and U200 plans - so I'm not comparing apples to apples when I say I'm paying $5-$10 more a month for the cable portion of UVerse. For that extra money I get a second box, more movie channels (that I don't care to have) and the NFL Network.

I haven't been doing a lot of downloading yet with my AT&T service, but regular internet surfing (both hardline and wireless) has been fine.

I bought a new Linksys Wireless-N router about 8 weeks ago, but that's now redundant because AT&T install their own box, which is an all-in-one modem & router.

Old 12-14-2009, 12:26 PM

4,280 posts, read 11,317,674 times
After a nearly a lifetime with TWC in the area, I switched to U-verse.
I could not be more pleased.

In several months, no frozen channels, or channel unavailable messages (which happened EVERY DAY on TWC).
Nothing was more annoying than sitting down to watch something and get a 'Channel Unavailable' - UGH!

Clearer channels by a wide margin, HD and SD.

I have the 450 package and my download speeds (with all tuners OFF) touches 18.

I'm paying just a few dollars less than I used to with AT&T/BellSouth ultra-DSL + TWC.
But IMHO the service is much much better.

Old 12-14-2009, 01:22 PM

Thanks for the information folks! I tried to rep you all, but evidently I rep mullman and Ani too often... so it's your own fault for having too much good information!

Old 12-14-2009, 01:25 PM

1,894 posts, read 6,466,370 times
I'm still on the fence. I'm intrigued by UVerse's internet performance and the other small perks that the TV service offers that TWC does not. The only thing holding me back (when it eventually gets to my front door) is that fact that the outdoor channel falls just outside of the tier I'd want/need. And if I'm not mistaken, it is not available for al la carte...which is very annoying since it's one fo the handful of channels I really watching anyway!

Old 12-14-2009, 01:54 PM

646 posts, read 1,157,082 times
This is pretty interesting.

Do either of you use the UVerse phone service? If so, how is it?

Mullman, I take it the "download speeds (with all tuners OFF) refers to the TV? How's the web surfing?

Old 12-14-2009, 02:01 PM

1,117 posts, read 2,809,060 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Metallisteve View Post
The only thing holding me back (when it eventually gets to my front door) is that fact that the outdoor channel falls just outside of the tier I'd want/need. And if I'm not mistaken, it is not available for al la carte...which is very annoying since it's one fo the handful of channels I really watching anyway!
You are in luck - The Outdoor Channel appears to be part of the Sports Package, which is available for $10/month with any of the lower tiers
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte