Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-01-2010, 11:45 AM

83 posts, read 445,349 times

Advertisements

We recently had some electrical work done in our house (had recess lighting put in), and we have some small holes in the ceiling as a result. There's about 8-10 holes (most 2"-3" in diameter, two of them are 5" in diameter). We got a quote for around $400. Which was broken down into $60/hr plus material (which is apprx ~$50). Also, they said the job will take 6-8 hours.

Does this seem reasonable to you guys? We were hoping for the cost to be lower and we didn't realize the work would take a full day. We're not familiar at all with patching drywall so I was just wondering if this is the norm?

Thanks so much!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-02-2010, 06:54 AM

23 posts, read 66,558 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jenni179 View Post
We recently had some electrical work done in our house (had recess lighting put in), and we have some small holes in the ceiling as a result. There's about 8-10 holes (most 2"-3" in diameter, two of them are 5" in diameter). We got a quote for around $400. Which was broken down into $60/hr plus material (which is apprx ~$50). Also, they said the job will take 6-8 hours.

Does this seem reasonable to you guys? We were hoping for the cost to be lower and we didn't realize the work would take a full day. We're not familiar at all with patching drywall so I was just wondering if this is the norm?

Thanks so much!
Not 100% sure. How many people is he bringing out to work on it? If you have a lower ceiling and the holes are, say evenly cut, the time estimate would seem to be a little on the high end. Have you shopped around at all?

Old 04-07-2010, 10:57 AM

I think he's bringing one or two guys. Two of the holes are evenly cut. Yea i need to shop around some more I was just wondering if anyone had experience or recommendations for drywall work. I appreciate your repose, joe rod!

Old 04-07-2010, 02:56 PM

530 posts, read 1,182,714 times
Definitely a fair price as long as they don't make a huge mess and they clean up after themselves. Does this include paint? Do you have matching paint? Or would they have to find a match?

Old 04-07-2010, 04:39 PM

129 posts, read 524,992 times
It probably wouldn't take a full day but there is probably 3, maybe 4 trips involved. Which I'm sure they've built in the pricing.

jenni179, if it were me I would do myself. If I were a first timer, I'd probably go to an inconspicuous area like a closet and try one first. Somewhere where it wouldn't stick out like a sore thumb if things don't turn out as well as expected.

The 2-3" in size could be done with fiberglass tape. Here is an example on a wall, but same concept DrywallTips.org - How to Repair a Mid Small Hole in Drywall

The 5" needs a cutout. And example is here DrywallTips.org - Patching a Large Drywall Hole but you could get away with not so much backing. Put maybe two strips across.

You didn't seem to mention 'miscuts' which would make the job a little trickier for the curved cuts. So I assume these are holes punched through to fish wiring or maybe relocating the cans. And the job would be easier if the ceiling were flat, and not textured that would need to be matched.

If you want to pm me, I would be glad to help (assuming I get the message!)

Old 04-08-2010, 11:30 AM

No it doesn't include paint and we don't have any matching paint. I believe they told us we'd have to get the paint.

Yes, the holes were punched through to fish wire and relocate cans. I'm not sure if there are mis-cuts or not. The ceiling is not textured.

Thanks for the links Fleck! I will check them out tonight. My husband and I aren't super handy but those links may instill more confidence!

Jen

Old 04-08-2010, 03:27 PM

129 posts, read 524,992 times
jenni179,

While I'm not trying to put anyone out of business, depending on what you have (and these are basic hand tools you could use on other patching, should the need arise) this could probably be done for less than $35 (excluding painting).

It's all in the labor. As far technique, to get professional grade results its mainly in the (a) consistency/type of compound put on with about the right size blade and (b) the way it is sanded off.

Your areas however really aren't that broad. So it's not like your getting into floating off spans of patch.

Important - if you cutout the drywall from the replacement piece template be careful of any hidden wiring while cutting with the hand drywall-saw. This is usually avoided (if you don't know where the wiring is located) by cutting with the teeth along the far end of the blade, while angling the saw steeply, cutting with short strokes, to eliminate projecting the blade deep into the ceiling cavity. Just a thought.

The basic tools & supplies you'll need are:
- drywall gun OR electric screwdriver
- spare slat to serve as a backer (better than drywall clips)
- container of multi-purpose compound/plastic mixing trough
- roll of fiberglass tape
- spare piece of drywall, same thickness (home depot carries patch peices or you can cut in the store, they don't mind)
- small box of drywall screws (at the max - some stores like ACE sell by weight and you'll need less than a handful)
- something to stand on (I use a 5 gal bucket)
- (2) taping knives
- hand drywall saw
- sanding sponge, sandpaper, sanding block
- something to cover the floor with if it is finished/carpeted and a shop vac is ideal for dust. Note that even if the job is hired most contractors want the homeowner to take care of any dust travel.

Last edited by fleck; 04-08-2010 at 03:52 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte