Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-27-2010, 08:51 AM

689 posts, read 1,656,084 times

Advertisements

I think it is sad that people don't recycle and question the government's motives. Go visit a garbage dump and see why it is so needed!!!

I think the rolling carts are nice...it makes it easier to get it all to the street. Since so many more plastics will be taken, those should be filled by every household come July!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-27-2010, 09:22 AM

416 posts, read 927,611 times
I was glad to see it. We had 1 red bin and it wasn't enough. My wife had a seperate trash can in our pantry for recycling to add on. Just going to have to move some stuff around in the garage to find room for it. I'll also have to remember to lug it down every other week instead of once a week.

Old 04-27-2010, 09:36 AM

571 posts, read 714,774 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ellemaew View Post
People who use a lot of frozen and packaged food, drink a lot of soda (bottles or cans) etc., generate a lot more trash. One way to be "green" that doesn't get much air time is using more fresh foods that don't require the processing and packaging.
Also buying in bulk (like at COSTCO) which involves a lot less packaging than smaller, individually-packaged items.

Old 04-27-2010, 10:15 AM

11,839 posts, read 28,939,538 times
Interesting that the thread has taken off. But is recycling mandatory or voluntary in the Charlotte area? Does anyone have any statistics as to the rate of participation?

Looks like it isn't mandatory...

Is recycling mandatory in the City of Charlotte?
Residents are not required to recycle; however, they are strongly encouraged to recycle. Business recycling is mandatory.

What is the participation rate for the CURB IT! residential recycling program?
Currently, 43 to 45 percent (set-out rate) of all Charlotte residents participate in the recycling program; however, Charlotteans throw away six times more refuse than they recycle.

Old 04-27-2010, 12:37 PM

1,638 posts, read 4,548,071 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Barkingowl View Post
Interesting that the thread has taken off. But is recycling mandatory or voluntary in the Charlotte area? Does anyone have any statistics as to the rate of participation?

Looks like it isn't mandatory...

Is recycling mandatory in the City of Charlotte?
Residents are not required to recycle; however, they are strongly encouraged to recycle. Business recycling is mandatory.

What is the participation rate for the CURB IT! residential recycling program?
Currently, 43 to 45 percent (set-out rate) of all Charlotte residents participate in the recycling program; however, Charlotteans throw away six times more refuse than they recycle.
Don't know any Stats for Charlotte, but at the dump in Mooresville they post how many tonnes they have recycled each month. I look and think it sounds like a lot,but then I don't have any figures for landfill.

Since 2009 it has been illegal to place plastic bottles in landfill in NC.
Therefore they shouldn't be in your trash, I guess.

Old 04-27-2010, 02:00 PM

23,813 posts, read 34,657,307 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vmaxnc View Post
Is it that much more difficult to put the recyclables into the bin than into the trash?
Actually, the OP has been very sick, so the answer to that question is yes.

Old 04-27-2010, 02:53 PM

8,402 posts, read 24,215,373 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by southbound_295 View Post
Actually, the OP has been very sick, so the answer to that question is yes.
It was a rhetorical question, but since you responded.....

Really? Walking over to the red bin on the ground, letting the recyclable hang over the bin, and releasing one's grip on it, letting gravity do the work, is more difficult? You don't even have to raise your arm like you do to put something in the trash bin. It's easier to recycle!

Old 04-27-2010, 06:00 PM

7,126 posts, read 11,697,656 times
Quote:

Really? Walking over to the red bin on the ground, letting the recyclable hang over the bin, and releasing one's grip on it, letting gravity do the work, is more difficult? You don't even have to raise your arm like you do to put something in the trash bin. It's easier to recycle!
Let it go is even easier.

Old 04-27-2010, 06:33 PM

8,402 posts, read 24,215,373 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pink caddy View Post
Let it go is even easier.

Old 04-27-2010, 07:25 PM

23,813 posts, read 34,657,307 times
Quote:

The OP was is recycling still voluntary, or is it mandatory. The question was not what do you think of recycling. I did not give my view of it, but politely pointed out that the OP has been very sick, which many people here know.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte