Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-12-2007, 09:27 AM

61 posts, read 187,620 times

Advertisements

Hi, I have lived in Charlotte for 4 1/2 years, originally from Milwaukee, WI, and I am now at the point where I am trying to determine if I want to stay in Charlotte long-term or not. Even though I have been here for awhile, I still miss the "midwestern mentality", such as being more blunt, direct, and upfront about things, and more down-to earth, and I also miss the urban culture and nightlife. Dating is very difficult here in Charlotte for women in their mid-30's, and the job market is much more narrow. However, it is much easier to make friends here and I have a wonderful social circle, and I love the weather (although it doesn't always love me-allergies all the time!! ).
Do any other Midwesterners out there feel as conflicted as I do? Maybe we need to start a Midwesterners Support Group, lol. Would love to hear your experiences and opinions.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-12-2007, 11:23 AM

958 posts, read 2,620,837 times
I'm also from Milwaukee, originally, and live in Asheville. I kind of feel like you do. I lived in Wilmington before I moved here, and I definitely noticed the same things you did. My fiancee is also from the midwest (near Chicago), and we've pretty much decided to leave NC when my son graduates from high school in 2008. We just don't feel like we want to settle long term here, and I think we'll be moving to Dallas, TX. We just got back from visiting there and that area felt more like home to us, plus the wages there are higher than in NC and the home prices are lower. The allergies have been a problem for both my fiancee and my son, they both have gotten sick way more often since we moved here. We like Asheville, and North Carolina in general, for the most part, but it's just not where we feel comfortable and settled.

Old 01-12-2007, 05:02 PM

64 posts, read 315,857 times
Talking midwest girl

Ok now my opinion might not count since I just got here. But I am having a hard time getting used to the warmer weather in Jan. I mean come on give me the wind and the snow.
I am from Cincinnati so the allergy thing I am used to...knock on wood I do not have that problem.
But I am getting frustrated with the job market here. I left a great company that I worked for for 5 years and now to be out looking for a job again is horrible.
And being in your mid-30's it is hard to meet new friends to socialize with.
So I to feel your pain

Old 01-13-2007, 09:34 AM

44 posts, read 329,650 times
Default New Englander in Raleigh area

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deb0624 View Post
Hi, I have lived in Charlotte for 4 1/2 years, originally from Milwaukee, WI, and I am now at the point where I am trying to determine if I want to stay in Charlotte long-term or not. Even though I have been here for awhile, I still miss the "midwestern mentality", such as being more blunt, direct, and upfront about things, and more down-to earth, and I also miss the urban culture and nightlife. Dating is very difficult here in Charlotte for women in their mid-30's, and the job market is much more narrow. However, it is much easier to make friends here and I have a wonderful social circle, and I love the weather (although it doesn't always love me-allergies all the time!! ).
Do any other Midwesterners out there feel as conflicted as I do? Maybe we need to start a Midwesterners Support Group, lol. Would love to hear your experiences and opinions.
I moved from New England to Raleigh area 2 years ago for lower taxes and better weather. I have had a change of heart after being here and not sure what to do. Allergies are a problem for all of us here too. I miss the northern mentality. I am a straight talking person and have a hard time with some southern ways....too much gossiping and people claim to like you at first and then find out they have slammed you socially (Raleigh thing?) behind your back. Very childish. I find myself dancing around conversations so that people will not take it the wrong way. Never had to do that anywhere before. I had considered (and may again) Asheville area as it is more laid because I do like the weather and lower property taxes. The north calls me all the time...not the frigid cold. FYI....you are not alone with your thoughts.

Old 01-13-2007, 09:40 AM

221 posts, read 746,435 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tarrant View Post
I moved from New England to Raleigh area 2 years ago for lower taxes and better weather. I have had a change of heart after being here and not sure what to do. Allergies are a problem for all of us here too. I miss the northern mentality. I am a straight talking person and have a hard time with some southern ways....too much gossiping and people claim to like you at first and then find out they have slammed you socially (Raleigh thing?) behind your back. Very childish. I find myself dancing around conversations so that people will not take it the wrong way. Never had to do that anywhere before. I had considered (and may again) Asheville area as it is more laid because I do like the weather and lower property taxes. The north calls me all the time...not the frigid cold. FYI....you are not alone with your thoughts.
I dont think its fair to say southerners are the only gossipers. I live in Long Island and boy oh boy, talk about gossip and back stabbing. So its fair to say it is everywhere. It just depends how much you let yourself get caught up in it. I got caught up in it, got burnt and now am much wiser. I keep a certain amount of distance. And remember no matter where you live misery loves company and people just LOVE to talk about others misery.

Old 01-13-2007, 09:57 AM

3,574 posts, read 14,340,292 times
Just curious, but didn't y'all do some research on the area before you uprooted your self (and family?) to come here for "better weather and lower taxes"? By research, I mean physically come down, subscribe to a newspaper or two, or at least go online to the state website, etc.? Before I moved here years ago via Chicago, with my (now former) husband for his professional position, we drove all over this great state and let me tell you, many things were different 30 years ago! When we decided where we would eventually stay, and actually got here, I was hugely homesick and in culture-shock, but I had a job, a place to live, and knew full-well what what I was getting into. Not all my neighbors were nice to us, but we were to them and eventually we grew on them (and they on us). BTW, this was in a small town...... I am still living there. North Carolina is a good place to live and raise a family; it has been good to me. I do feel your collective pain, and yes, 70 degrees in January is not normal! - I love to call my mother in Pa and gloat!!!!!
I hope y'all find what you're looking for - life is waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay too short to .................................

Old 01-14-2007, 01:47 AM

473 posts, read 1,578,497 times
Red face Asheville

Quote:
Originally Posted by roxors View Post
I'm also from Milwaukee, originally, and live in Asheville. I kind of feel like you do. I lived in Wilmington before I moved here, and I definitely noticed the same things you did. My fiancee is also from the midwest (near Chicago), and we've pretty much decided to leave NC when my son graduates from high school in 2008. We just don't feel like we want to settle long term here, and I think we'll be moving to Dallas, TX. We just got back from visiting there and that area felt more like home to us, plus the wages there are higher than in NC and the home prices are lower. The allergies have been a problem for both my fiancee and my son, they both have gotten sick way more often since we moved here. We like Asheville, and North Carolina in general, for the most part, but it's just not where we feel comfortable and settled.
Not from the mid-west, sorry. But I lived in Winston-Salem, Asheville, and now Huntersville. My allergies were worse in Asheville out of all of them, including living in FL and NY! Asheville has very poor air quality and they advertise on the news that "today is a poor air day". I've never seen that anywhere else, not that it doesn't exist, but I've never experienced it.

I also think Asheville is very low for wages. I can't compare Huntersville or Charlotte because I am an adult college student and currently not working.

Old 01-14-2007, 05:39 PM

4 posts, read 15,567 times
All you mid-westerners, you can't leave! Yeah, so people in this part of the country like to beat around the bush more but if you leave then you can't change the culture here! There're more and more northerners now so it should change so just be patient!

Old 01-14-2007, 07:00 PM

64 posts, read 315,857 times
Default Supporting the hubby

Quote:
Originally Posted by mm_mary73 View Post
Just curious, but didn't y'all do some research on the area before you uprooted your self (and family?) to come here for "better weather and lower taxes"? By research, I mean physically come down, subscribe to a newspaper or two, or at least go online to the state website, etc.? Before I moved here years ago via Chicago, with my (now former) husband for his professional position, we drove all over this great state and let me tell you, many things were different 30 years ago! When we decided where we would eventually stay, and actually got here, I was hugely homesick and in culture-shock, but I had a job, a place to live, and knew full-well what what I was getting into. Not all my neighbors were nice to us, but we were to them and eventually we grew on them (and they on us). BTW, this was in a small town...... I am still living there. North Carolina is a good place to live and raise a family; it has been good to me. I do feel your collective pain, and yes, 70 degrees in January is not normal! - I love to call my mother in Pa and gloat!!!!!
I hope y'all find what you're looking for - life is waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay too short to .................................
I just wanted to say that some of us moved down here to support a husbands job change. I am a military brat so I am used to living all over and my mom is from New Orleans so I have relatives down south. So I know what everything was like. But I do miss Ohio. Sorry I do. But like I said I am very new to the area and on the job hunt. So I will let it grow on me before I pass to much judgement on it.

Old 01-14-2007, 09:11 PM

473 posts, read 1,578,497 times
Red face Frequent mover, too

Quote:
Originally Posted by fauxgal View Post
I just wanted to say that some of us moved down here to support a husbands job change. I am a military brat so I am used to living all over and my mom is from New Orleans so I have relatives down south. So I know what everything was like. But I do miss Ohio. Sorry I do. But like I said I am very new to the area and on the job hunt. So I will let it grow on me before I pass to much judgement on it.
I move around a lot, too. My husband does construction and we have to follow the work. We don't have the help like the military, though, and have to find things on our own. It makes us pretty savvy and self-sufficient. I'm sure you'll be fine, once you get the area figured out.

If you don't mind me asking, where have you lived and where are you from? I'm from western NYS, left about 9 years ago. Have lived in NC - Winston-Salem, Asheville, now Huntersville, and FL - Ft. Lauderdale and Tampa.

I have friends from Ohio, what part do you miss? I think she's kind of homesick, too, and she's from around the "tri-state area". I want to say that's Ohio around Kentucky and VA?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte