Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-14-2007, 05:55 PM

435 posts, read 1,814,898 times

Advertisements

Some pictures
The Charlotte - Mecklenburg Story - History Timeline

Some news/info about Hugo
http://forest.mtu.edu/classes/fw3020/hurrhugo.htm (broken link)

I actually slept through most of Hugo. I only woke up when the eye hit Charlotte. We were without power for a week. Thankfully we still had water (if you had well water you were up a creek without a paddle).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-14-2007, 05:59 PM

435 posts, read 1,814,898 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sheena View Post
Did the storm change direction the last minute or something or was their notice it was coming, because if I have notice it's coming I will not be here
I think it did, or they didn't expect it to be as bad as it was. Some people just knew it would be bad. My parents started to get prepared, just in case. They took our neighbor's & our patio furniture into our garage so it wouldn't be lost or go flying. The neighbor behind us turned their trampoline upside down so it wouldn't go flying as well.

Old 06-15-2007, 09:07 AM

89 posts, read 282,999 times
Default Info. on ICE STORMS in Charlotte & surround. areas

What causes an ice storm ? Is it prior or after a snow fall ? Are you advised in advance by the media in order to prepare for it ? How often does it occur in the Charlotte/Meckl. area ? Do people usually have small generators to pass the time waiting for the power to come back ? If you have a gas stove & a fireplace can you make it okay for a few days ? Do they ever shut off the Gas lines to the homes ? How long does the freezing of trees/streets/power lines usually last ? I'm very interested in knowing because all this is very new to me. I have never seen a snow storm or snow falling. Have only seen snow on the ground in the mountains of the Alps and the Andes. I have lots of experience with Hurricanes for the past 50 years. TIA for whoever wants to answer my questions

Old 06-15-2007, 09:32 AM

22,974 posts, read 65,505,372 times
What I find that makes this area favorable is we will receive cold artic front but moisture from the gulf and sit at the cusp where it develops more ice than snow if that makes any sense.

If you live in a development you probably will not have to worry about loss of power etc due to the lines are buried underground but you could be affected miles away where the lines are exposed to trees or car wreck that may have hit a utility pole.

Ice storms and snow rarely ever last more than 2 days but it might take forever for the power companies to catch up.
I remember there was several deaths in the 2002 storm due to people using bbq grills indoor etc for heat and died of carbon monoxide poisoning.

My mom used a kerosene heater to stay warm but I find them very dangerous due to they are so flammable.

I had this one friend who had a generator and lol they was the place to hang out at.

I dont fret over weather in this area I really just think it a day or two to stay home catch up on rest and read a good book.

The weatherman have a field day with snow and ice around here and you will get sick of your screen being shrunk with all the closings and special reports.
It is good for their ratings lol.

Best thing to do before a ice storm or other storms is make sure to check your trees to see if they are healthy, any dead branches or trim back any limbs hanging above your home.

We had one ice coated tree limb that drop like a knife thru our hot tub cover.

Old 06-15-2007, 09:41 AM

4,729 posts, read 19,424,271 times
The one thing the meteorologists here are good at is predicting ice storms since they are a "definite" when certain conditions are going to happen. We had 24-48 hours and every station was saying "This is going to be bad. 100%" and they were right...now predicting snow, well they are just paid by the grocery stores so everyone cleans out the shelves and then it's 50 degrees out and sunny.

Old 06-15-2007, 09:48 AM

107 posts, read 121,042 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by zipbags View Post
I live in NJ and we get the heavy summer thunderstorms. I can deal with those. I am curious what kind of effects/damage does Charlotte get if a hurricane hit. I know being 2hrs inland does help lower the effects of the storm. Just wondering if any have hit....And the effects?

Thanks!
Hugo was unreal. Its really a trajectory question. Usually the NC storms head more towards Wilmington and Raleigh. fran devastated that part of the state. I lived in the mtns. back when hugo hit and it was something terrible. I worry about some of the shoddy construction in vinylville and what a bad hurricane might do to it. Most people living here were not here when that happened and have no frame of reference.

Old 06-15-2007, 10:38 AM

1,502 posts, read 4,083,627 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sheena View Post
Did the storm change direction the last minute or something or was their notice it was coming, because if I have notice it's coming I will not be here
I remember Hugo well. Hugo was forecast to go through Charlotte. Hugo made landfall in Charleston SC on September 21st, 1989, and hit the Charlotte area early on the 22nd.

The thing about Hugo is that it retained much of its strength and moved very quickly through SC into NC.

The original forecast for Charlotte was heavier than usual rains, gustier than usual winds by midday Friday (the 22nd). Hugo reached Charlotte in the pre dawn hours on the 22nd, much sooner than expected. Hurricane force winds, and the eye of the hurricane actually passed over Charlotte.

WSOC-TV made a video of the storm, a collection of home videos, weather forecasts, a year after the storm hit. My mom bought a copy of the tape and I still have it, about an hour and a half worth of Hugo footage of damage and information. Interesting to watch now seeing how much Charlotte has changed in almost 20 years. The damage was incredible.

We were out of school for two weeks. I remember the roads were all impassable. We had to walk to the Winn-Dixie off of Sardis Road to stand in line so that a store employee could walk us through the store. Cash only. If you didnt have any..SOL. Cant remember if Charlotte had a curfew but I know the Natl Guard came in.

Old 06-15-2007, 07:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by groove1 View Post
The one thing the meteorologists here are good at is predicting ice storms since they are a "definite" when certain conditions are going to happen. We had 24-48 hours and every station was saying "This is going to be bad. 100%" and they were right...now predicting snow, well they are just paid by the grocery stores so everyone cleans out the shelves and then it's 50 degrees out and sunny.
Thanks,sounds exactly when we have a hurricane nearby,people spend what they don't have and clear the shelves,( its good in the sense that the stores get all new/fresh food )and the storm goes another way. Better to be prepared than sorry.

Old 06-15-2007, 08:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SunnyKayak View Post
What I find that makes this area favorable is we will receive cold artic front but moisture from the gulf and sit at the cusp where it develops more ice than snow if that makes any sense.

If you live in a development you probably will not have to worry about loss of power etc due to the lines are buried underground but you could be affected miles away where the lines are exposed to trees or car wreck that may have hit a utility pole.

Ice storms and snow rarely ever last more than 2 days but it might take forever for the power companies to catch up.
I remember there was several deaths in the 2002 storm due to people using bbq grills indoor etc for heat and died of carbon monoxide poisoning.

My mom used a kerosene heater to stay warm but I find them very dangerous due to they are so flammable.

I had this one friend who had a generator and lol they was the place to hang out at.

I dont fret over weather in this area I really just think it a day or two to stay home catch up on rest and read a good book.

The weatherman have a field day with snow and ice around here and you will get sick of your screen being shrunk with all the closings and special reports.
It is good for their ratings lol.

Best thing to do before a ice storm or other storms is make sure to check your trees to see if they are healthy, any dead branches or trim back any limbs hanging above your home.

We had one ice coated tree limb that drop like a knife thru our hot tub cover.

Thank you for the info.now I will be better prepared when the time comes. Still waiting to sell ,its not been easy,since Aug.. Oh,by the way the pictures are beautiful!

Old 06-15-2007, 08:44 PM

4,729 posts, read 19,424,271 times
Yeah ice storms are deceivingly pretty...at least at first.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
View detailed profiles of: