Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-17-2010, 05:31 PM

7,126 posts, read 11,707,673 times

Advertisements

Have you considered NYC? You fit the ticket 100%.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-17-2010, 08:23 PM

316 posts, read 784,544 times
Great posts by everyone so far - very helpful and after checking out NCgirl threads there is obviously a lot more cool stuff to do for families and couples than I would ever have thought - Some of the pictures I have seen posted on this site the past two days are very impressive, Charlotte looks to be so clean & modern looking, the uptown area seems so full of life - Regarding the comment from the OP " There is still plenty of racism in this area. People might not always show it, but it is there". Sad to think that in 2010 there is still that type of ignorant attitude towards mixed race kids and newcomers coming into the area - that would probably kill the deal for me to move to CLL if I felt my son would be treated differently and could never feel completely comfortable growing up in an area where he may have to deal with being discriminated against - Coming from SoCal I don't think we ever even had to think about this-In Houston it's fairly mixed but the overall quality of life is not that great here, just ask any Ex-Houstonians - weather/ humidity, traffic congestion, spraw, dirty cityl... NO.outdoor activities and air quality doesn't come close to NC.....

Old 05-17-2010, 09:19 PM

2,445 posts, read 7,454,200 times
Quote:
Sad to think that in 2010 there is still that type of ignorant attitude towards mixed race kids and newcomers coming into the area - that would probably kill the deal for me to move to CLL if I felt my son would be treated differently and could never feel completely comfortable growing up in an area where he may have to deal with being discriminated against
I hope you don't think that is a common perception. I honestly don't think your family will have problems. As others have said the city of Charlotte is diverse. The suburbs are less diverse but I don't think you'll have problems there either. Interracial families are not novelties here. Most people won't think twice about your family. Of course there are idiots everywhere but they are...idiots.

Old 05-18-2010, 08:32 AM

83 posts, read 445,375 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by msm_teacher View Post
I've lived in Houston (20 years) and Apex (10 years). We like where we are now best for raising a family (Cabarrus). It seems to be a slower pace of life here. But, to others that is a downside, not a good thing.

I agree that the bar-b-q is very different - been lookin for some good brisket for years!

Haha yea my husband chows down on brisket when we visit back home. I guess it's difficult getting use to NC BBQ. It might be the same if you lived in NC your entire life then had Texas BBQ. My honest opinion is that it's not as good and more expensive. Also, sales tax is about the same as in Houston. I haven't lived in Houston since 2006 but the sales tax in Charlotte is 8.25%.

Last edited by jenni179; 05-18-2010 at 08:40 AM..

Old 05-18-2010, 02:32 PM

45,217 posts, read 100,739,056 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PopUpMovies View Post
Many of us moved here in the past 10 years. Lot's from the rust belt areas of Upstate NY (Buffalo), Cleveland, Pittsburgh, NYC and New Jersey.. We are now the MAJORITY here...

Enjoy the fact that everyone is NEW to the town and looking to find new friends and connections for social and family fun.

Raleigh is NOT a big city, but they do have a Hockey team.. Charlotte get a AAA hockey team this fall 2010..

Charlotte has more of everything, sports fans, community, things to do, activities and fiar/reasonable housing costs.. It also has more traffic and public school education problems.

3 Areas to look at living - South Charlotte ( Ballantyne Area ) , North Charlotte ( Town of Davidson ) and Out of Mecklenburg county = IREDELL County in Mooresville, NC ( Lake Norman area )

Enjoy your visit and Welcome to our new home Charlotte area !

Not to be picky, but in the interest of accuracy I must say, Davidson is NOT "north Charlotte" - it is a lovely desirable little college town north OF Charlotte.

In addition, south Charlotte is a rather large area - one section of it is the Ballantyne community, but there are other very desirable parts of south Charlotte to consider as well.

Old 05-19-2010, 05:45 AM

104 posts, read 184,622 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NCgirl View Post
I hope you don't think that is a common perception. I honestly don't think your family will have problems. As others have said the city of Charlotte is diverse. The suburbs are less diverse but I don't think you'll have problems there either. Interracial families are not novelties here. Most people won't think twice about your family. Of course there are idiots everywhere but they are...idiots.
Agreed. I can't imagine your family having any issues here because of being mixed racial. In fact, our good friends here just had a little baby -- the mother is white, the father is Asian and Puerto Rican. Not a big deal.

Old 05-19-2010, 06:32 AM

587 posts, read 1,625,556 times
I just moved here from Dallas and I find living here is quite similar in most ways. People are VERY friendly, the weather is great and cost of living may be just a touch higher. I don't think you will find any problem in terms of the mixed-race issue for your child. My sister lives in the Raleigh-Durham area (Holly Springs) and we have visited there for many years. Again, very similar. The one think that I LOVE that is notably different here is LOTS of TREES!!! Much more beautiful than Dallas and Houston in my opinion and since I like to spend alot of time outdoors, that is a really postive thing! Hope you have a great move, wherever you choose!

Old 05-19-2010, 07:17 AM

1,763 posts, read 3,293,640 times
I know Two couples; korean-american and white-american; who have no issues here. Both have kids who go to school in south charlotte. There is a sizable Korean community here and several korean churches. Some major differences between the Triangle and Charlotte: The Triangle has 3 major universities, so has a more intellectual vibe. Charlotte has a newer glitzier feel (in part because they've torn down so many old buildings).
While there are some greenways and bike lanes, biking is not so good here - there is an anti-bike culture. I do it anyway and I must say it has improved recently with the addition of more bike lanes. The mountains are a few hours away - there are lots of outdoor activities there. City parks are ordinary for a city this size. Compared with the west, Charlotte is very lush and green 7-8 months of the year. The humidity can be oppressive in the height of summer, but the rest of the year is great.

If you are interested in a diverse and tolerant environment for your family and child when he enters school, I recommend looking at Smith Language Academy - a public magnet which offers language immersion in Chinese, Japanese, French or German. It's a great school:
Smith Academy of International Languages : Welcome!

Old 05-19-2010, 07:43 AM

415 posts, read 1,150,883 times
Just a few things to throw in -

The Triangle and Charlotte are more similar than they are different, especially for someone coming from out of state.

Humidity - while most people consider Charlotte's summers humid, they are nowhere near as humid as you would experience in Houston.

Someone made the observation that the lots are smaller here than they are in Dallas. I've not found this to be the case. New construction everywhere is tending to smaller lot sizes, but Dallas metro is full of McMansion sized houses that are on very small lots.

Old 05-19-2010, 09:13 AM

972 posts, read 2,444,399 times
Great post!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Comfort Food View Post
Just a few things to throw in -

The Triangle and Charlotte are more similar than they are different, especially for someone coming from out of state.
We just moved from the Triangle and find things are very much the same.

Quote:
Humidity - while most people consider Charlotte's summers humid, they are nowhere near as humid as you would experience in Houston.
I never knew my hair could be straight until we moved out of Houston! In Charlotte, it gets a little curly in the summer, but that's it.

Quote:
Someone made the observation that the lots are smaller here than they are in Dallas. I've not found this to be the case. New construction everywhere is tending to smaller lot sizes, but Dallas metro is full of McMansion sized houses that are on very small lots.
I lived in Plano for 4 years. The main difference I see here is the lack of flat terrain. We have a bigger lot here than in Plano, but a lot of that depends what is for sale when you are looking.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte