Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-19-2010, 11:16 AM

35,879 posts, read 77,448,814 times

Advertisements

TOBER - agree. Some things are a very easy fix. I had lived with two light fixtures that I kept meaning to replace "someday" . . . so when we put our previous home on the market, I finally got around to actually changing them out, lol. It really helped to update them and the good thing was - had I done it 5 years earlier, I would have chosen something that was not the most "current" look - so it all worked out fine in the end.

One thing I did learn along the way is . . . for most improvements - even if it means I have to let something else wait for a while (like a vacation) . . . I would rather update now so I can enjoy the improvements than defer it til I put the house on the market. That may sound like a no-brainer but it is really easy (for me) to keep putting off something like upstairs carpet or re-painting a room to a color I much preferred. I felt kinda stupid when I realized I had let this happen in the past. I had missed out on the real sense of satisfaction and enjoyment I would have felt had I done it earlier.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-19-2010, 02:07 PM

46 posts, read 101,865 times
I have my home to live in and enjoy my life with no thought or plan for resale. But there are a few things I hate. I despise my ugly, dingy white linoleum floor. I'm also not a fan of the builder grade shiny fake brass light fixtures and door knobs. That said, I'm still living with these over 10 years later. Need to change this at some point....

Things that were very important to us when house hunting and would be still today:
--side load garage (dislike the look of a house when the garage is the main focus),
--mature, but not overgrown landscaping with trees
--a decent yard in both front and back with some degree of privacy and enough space that I can't reach out a window and shake hands with the neighbor in his house.
--large master bedroom with separate shower and soaking tub and dual sinks/vanity
--large kitchen with lots of storage space in quality cabinets.

So many things can be changed for personal taste. Colors and tones of wood, appliance finishes, carpet and paint colors are all things that have trends. I want quality construction, not the cheapest thing that can be slapped in a home so it looks trendy and current but falls apart in two years. Today's trendy and current is tomorrow's avocado green stove.

Old 05-19-2010, 02:34 PM

889 posts, read 3,116,520 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeyKid View Post
Seeing as Charlotte is so transient with such a variety of housing options, including plenty of new construction options, you've all likely shopped for homes several times over the years. In that process, I was wondering what you look for already done in a house.

The idea being that certain finishes would be prohibitively expensive to add after you bought, but others could be added somewhat cost efficiently later.

So, if you were shopping for a new house today - what finishes would you be looking for already done?

You got some great,sound advise!
For me,instead of tile in wet locations i would use Travertine.Production builders i know dont use it but custom builders do.Its got a more classic,timeless style look.If you use tile or travertine go for the bigger tiles like 16 x 16 or 18 x 18 in larger spaces.Go for a diagonal or inlaid look.
Cant say enough about lighting.Never enough can lights!
Dont skimp on under cabinet kitchen lighting! Think ambient,task and of course accent.
Pick out unique lighting thats looks like you hand picked it all not the Lowes look.Dont make the lighting ( like a lighting package) all uniform.Be creative.
I worked for a production builder and so many people really wanted to put together a more individual look so it is all about being creative.
Then i worked for a lighting store.Most customers complained so much about not ever having enough light and if they could do it all over again and realize they needed far more task lighting than they ever thought.

Old 05-20-2010, 08:04 AM

339 posts, read 715,376 times
Default Lighting and electrical outlets

When building, I didn't pay much attention to lighting. I wish I had. I would put canned lights in some parts of the house, like the closet and in some of the long narrow hallways. Also, pay attention to electrical outlets. Are there enough? Where you need them?

Old 05-20-2010, 08:22 AM

7 posts, read 9,252 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldsmobile View Post
How about pretty garage doors? I'm seeing fancy ones installed in my neighborhood.

Someone had mentioned that it wouldn't be long before granite is passe; and I suspect the same for stainless steel appliances too. Question is--What is the next dominant trend for countertops and appliances?

Related to the original post, but on the other end of the spectrum: What are some recent trends that are now obsolete? A couple of candidates:
-Built-in nook for a CRT TV (often over the fireplace)
-CAT5 pre-wiring (So many gadgets are wireless now!)
Totally agree with the nook above the TV! What a turn off for me! I wonder why some house built in 2004 have them...

Old 05-20-2010, 09:08 AM

1,638 posts, read 4,548,071 times
I would always be most concerned with location, privacy,lot size and aspect.

Now if I was considering a couple of homes that met those criteria fairly equally then it would be siding (don't like vinyl), roof age/ type, ceiling height/type, insulation (roof , crawlspace etc), room and hot water heating,natural light and storage. Also floorplan- ie not too many small boxy rooms-prefer some open plan and a plan that flows.

Then it would be things like flooring,cabinetry,fixtures etc.

Now the TV nook might stop me from buying a house!
Hate wall mounted TVs in living rooms or TVs more than 32 inch. Different story for a den or family room.
Why would you want a TV to detract from the fireplace which is supposed to be the focal point?

In an older home (> 60yrs) I would want to see original features (not repro') or that has been modernised as long as it's been done well ie rooms knocked through and windows made bigger.

I think sometimes if you are happy with your home the way it is it is sometimes better to wait until you come to sell and then maybe spend some money replacing light fittings , door furniture etc.

A lot would depend on the price point.

At the end of the day you can't change location, view and aspect although you can maximise the last two by cahnging windows, removing trees or placing hedges/fences appropriately

Old 05-20-2010, 09:15 AM

35,879 posts, read 77,448,814 times
I am surprised that folks are so turned off by TV nooks. Just fill it in and frame it out nicely with molding and hang a picture or mirror if it is in the living room. If it is in the family room, library or bedroom, hang your tv on the filled in wall.

Old 05-22-2010, 06:11 PM

15 posts, read 59,717 times
I bought a house at the end of March. 9' ceilings, granite countertop, SS sink, attractive kitchen cabinets with crown molding were a must, as well as sufficient closet space. Soaking tub and separate shower are also musts.

Unlike many on this thread, I actually prefer linoleum in the kitchen provided it looks like tile because it's easier to clean (in my opinion).

One thing I noticed when looking at houses was that sellers had painted many rooms in the houses with an entire rainbow of colors. I walked away from many houses because I'd have to repaint every single room. It's difficult to fall in love with a house when you are distracted by the colors. I prefer buying a house that has neutral wall colors - it's a blank canvas for me.

Old 05-22-2010, 06:15 PM

646 posts, read 1,156,224 times
You have a point, Calyxx. Between the odd paint colors and the toxic chemical carpet-cleaning stuff, those can be real deal-killers.

Old 05-22-2010, 06:40 PM

1,139 posts, read 2,360,441 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Calyxx View Post
I bought a house at the end of March. 9' ceilings, granite countertop, SS sink, attractive kitchen cabinets with crown molding were a must, as well as sufficient closet space. Soaking tub and separate shower are also musts.

Unlike many on this thread, I actually prefer linoleum in the kitchen provided it looks like tile because it's easier to clean (in my opinion).

One thing I noticed when looking at houses was that sellers had painted many rooms in the houses with an entire rainbow of colors. I walked away from many houses because I'd have to repaint every single room. It's difficult to fall in love with a house when you are distracted by the colors. I prefer buying a house that has neutral wall colors - it's a blank canvas for me.

While we were house hunting my fiance was also turned off by the rooms being all different colors. I also agree that it is very distracting.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
View detailed profiles of: