Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-24-2010, 10:40 AM

23,814 posts, read 34,693,648 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by pink caddy View Post
It just doesn't make any sense to dig your heels in and think you will get "your price" when selling a house.

I am in contract to sell a small house in CLT. It has been in contract for 2 months. All is OK with buyer, financing, term etc. We were due to sell this past Fri. Wed nite FHA produces an appraisal $5000 below the agreeded upon selling price. Both selling agent and buyer's agent submit a dozen comps for support of the higher price. Rejected by FHA. AND, FHA will not accept a new appraisal for SIX months. Take it or leave it.
So yesterday, I took the $5000 hit and will move on instead of the risk of hanging out for a higher market. Hope I close on Tues.

My point is that it doesn't really matter what you think your house is "worth" and if you want to move on, and not wait for some recovery that is not going to happen, you have to go with the conditions of the market.
I think that you're totally right on this. House values were creeping up in my town. The banks dumped a load of shadow inventory foreclosures & the prices went back down, practically over night. Anyone who was under contract got hit about the same as you did. There's only one choice, take the hit or wait it out & hope it doesn't happen again.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-24-2010, 10:45 AM

1,554 posts, read 3,369,437 times
How recently did that happen southbound?

Old 05-24-2010, 10:48 AM

6,151 posts, read 10,030,335 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by southbound_295 View Post
I think that you're totally right on this. House values were creeping up in my town. The banks dumped a load of shadow inventory foreclosures & the prices went back down, practically over night. Anyone who was under contract got hit about the same as you did. There's only one choice, take the hit or wait it out & hope it doesn't happen again.
It would be so helpful to get a true picture of how much shadow inventory is out there... wishful thinking that they'll be honest with us!

I'm guessing it's the banks plan to let things bounce around and try to produce and maintain a false "bottom" to the market. The question is how long they can sustain this considering how deep the housing stock is, how many folks are currently in trouble paying their mortgage that will likely turn into more distressed properties, and the pressure to push up interest rates.

Old 05-24-2010, 10:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chuckles34 View Post
How recently did that happen southbound?
Within the month.

Old 05-24-2010, 10:56 AM

7,126 posts, read 11,707,673 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeyKid View Post
It would be so helpful to get a true picture of how much shadow inventory is out there... wishful thinking that they'll be honest with us!

I'm guessing it's the banks plan to let things bounce around and try to produce and maintain a false "bottom" to the market. The question is how long they can sustain this considering how deep the housing stock is, how many folks are currently in trouble paying their mortgage that will likely turn into more distressed properties, and the pressure to push up interest rates.

If you held a large stock position and you wanted to dump next week would you publish the number for all to see? lol. There're smarter than that.

Old 05-24-2010, 11:01 AM

I continue to be intrigued by this "shadow" stock that I only read about on this site. I don't doubt you, I just don't see evidence of it or read about it anywhere else, and I'm in the industry.

Old 05-24-2010, 11:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeyKid View Post

It probably depends on the size of the municipality & other stuff that we don't know about. City of Kings Mountain is a small city, so dumping a load of foreclosures (my guess - about 3 dozen) created a hit. If they did the same in Charlotte, it would cause no real effect.

Old 05-24-2010, 11:03 AM

6,151 posts, read 10,030,335 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pink caddy View Post
If you held a large stock position and you wanted to dump next week would you publish the number for all to see? lol. There're smarter than that.
yeah, me wants insider info! lol

Old 05-24-2010, 11:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chuckles34 View Post
I continue to be intrigued by this "shadow" stock that I only read about on this site. I don't doubt you, I just don't see evidence of it or read about it anywhere else, and I'm in the industry.
A house 2 doors from me was in foreclosure but not on the market for months.

Old 05-24-2010, 11:07 AM

Okay, but the foreclosure process can take months and the banks are under tremendous pressure to successfully modify loans (for the homeowners) or offer short sales. Foreclosure is the last option and the banks have to do a lot before they can put them on the market. I'm not sure you completely understand the process (and that's a GOOD thing for you!).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte