Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-07-2012, 06:29 PM

45,217 posts, read 100,772,237 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by SunnyKayak View Post
This thread was fun to do to honor my Great great great Granfather General Riley Leonard.
My late Dad would have been proud.
Here are pics from the small cemetery honoring soldiers at Appomattox Court House. It is a very serene and moving place.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-07-2012, 07:38 PM

2,603 posts, read 5,024,363 times
Don't know if you guys saw this in the Observer today about Union County finally getting around to honor the slaves who got dragged into the war on the Confederate side.

"all 10 Union County men were described as “body servants” or bodyguards. They hauled water, carried supplies and helped build forts. Two were wounded.

"By the time they received meager state pensions half a century after white veterans collected theirs, the men were around 90 years old and near the end of their lives."

Read more here: Union County's preservation board approves Confederate slave marker | CharlotteObserver.com & The Charlotte Observer Newspaper

Old 06-07-2012, 07:43 PM

3,869 posts, read 4,282,743 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by coped View Post
OK. Because I believe in the importance of history, I certainly support REMEMBERING Confederates and the war (most importantly WHY the war happened). But I'll stop short of honoring them.
Don't wanna get in a big debate here, but I guess the thought of having to admit that one's forefathers were fighting to perserve the hideous practice of slavery is embarassing. So, it's much more comforting to say "states rights"...ok, they fought for their right to continue to own slaves. History tells us that humans usually fight over money and/or land, and owning slaves paid a handsome dividend. Let's not twist the truth or facts.

That aside, civil war soldiers (confederate and union) fought valiantly and displayed a high level of battlefield courage. So, honoring those who died for their cause is understandable.

Some good info and pictures. Truthfully, those of us with slave ancestry aren't moved by the sight of the confederate flag. But, as the years have past, I've tried to become more understanding to consider those who want to simply honor their family members for bravery during a brutal war. I get annoyed when some try to avoid the truth or minimize the real reason for the war.

Old 06-07-2012, 08:51 PM

1,452 posts, read 2,993,983 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by coped View Post
But I'll stop short of honoring them.
How about if you honor those in this forum that want to honor those that fought, and not be a divisive ass about it? Sometimes some threads aren't all about your opinion, believe it or not.

Thank you for reviving this thread, I am learning about the history from a different perspective than what I was raised in a northern school.

Old 06-07-2012, 09:05 PM

22,974 posts, read 65,545,693 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rdub1968 View Post

Thank you for reviving this thread, I am learning about the history from a different perspective than what I was raised in a northern school.
That was my whole idea of this thread I did two years ago was just give history how and where in this region and how North Carolina played its role.
Plus this forum was slow as molasses two summers ago too lol so I had time on my hands.

The why of the war was not in the soldiers hands but there commanders so I would continue discussing the where in relation to this region and state and honoring these brave solduers.

Last edited by SunnyKayak; 06-08-2012 at 08:06 AM..

Old 06-08-2012, 04:56 AM

3,869 posts, read 4,282,743 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rdub1968 View Post
How about if you honor those in this forum that want to honor those that fought, and not be a divisive ass about it? Sometimes some threads aren't all about your opinion, believe it or not.

Well, it's an extremely devisive issue akin to any thread about abortion and gay marriage. It's a touchy subject. Think of it this way, it's OK for Germans to honor Nazi solidiers who fought bravely in WWII but not everyone's gonna respect that position, especially jewish folk. And any reference to that time or the sight of a swastika conjures up a complex set of emotions. The confederate flag surfaces those emotions for black people and I am far from the politically correct or the "senstive" type. So, any thread related to the civil war runs the risk of receiving those emotional responses. Whether you believe the war was about slavery or not, it legally ended slavery in the south so that was a significant demarcation point in african american history.

However, I've always enjoyed learning about confederate soldier history and NC's role in the civil war. The pictures and stories are exceptional.

Old 06-08-2012, 05:45 AM

468 posts, read 827,447 times
Regardless of what everyone's views are on the subject of the Civil War, I believe in honoring them all............ white, black, North or South.

Indeed, they were all brave men and many went to their deaths far to early in life.

My wish in honoring them all is that we should never take up arms against our brothers and sisters and become such a divisive country ever again.

Old 06-08-2012, 08:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RoadTraveler View Post
Regardless of what everyone's views are on the subject of the Civil War, I believe in honoring them all............ white, black, North or South.

Indeed, they were all brave men and many went to their deaths far to early in life.

My wish in honoring them all is that we should never take up arms against our brothers and sisters and become such a divisive country ever again.

Old 06-08-2012, 08:33 AM

172 posts, read 267,752 times
The Confederate soldiers were traitors. I will not honor them.

Old 06-08-2012, 08:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by markymarq81 View Post
The Confederate soldiers were traitors. I will not honor them.
Great, then stay off this thread.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte