Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Charlottesville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-13-2011, 10:59 PM

3 posts, read 8,462 times

Advertisements

We are making a trip to check out Charlootesville in early November for a week. We are seriously considering moving there from sarasota, FL. I just read some articles about tick bites and lyme disease on the rise in Virginia. I am a bit concerned. We have 2 young kids and my elderly parents live with us as well. They are healthy. But do I need this added risks or am I just overly concerned for nothing? My husband wants me to do all the research I can to avoid all the regrets later.

I will be very grateful if someone can shed some light on this. Thank you so much.

Ye.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-17-2011, 05:57 AM

234 posts, read 629,096 times
My family moved to Charlottesville from Long Island in the early 90's and we all had Lyme Disease (when we lived in NY) except for my dad. My mom was fanatical about protecting us outside, and we rarely did things like hiking, but it wasn't because of the area in general, it was just because of our past experience. It might be on the rise there, but I wouldn't let that keep me from moving somewhere. You just have to take precautions when you're out- try to stay away from long grass, tuck your pants into socks, check the kids when they get home, etc. Dog ticks are more plentiful than deer ticks there in my experience.

Old 10-20-2011, 11:26 AM

6,219 posts, read 5,944,595 times
I lived in Charlottesville in the 1970s, and spent a lot of time in grassy fields near town due to a research project I was involved in. At the height of the tick season (I think August?) I would come back from the field with 30-40 ticks on me. I would take extra clothing, stop at a University bathroom, strip, and examine my body closely for ticks; they cluster around the waistband, sock tops, anywhere where there's restricted clothing. I would take a small bottle of alcohol with me and drop the ticks into it when I pulled them off.

It takes time for a tick to burrow in and transmit the disease, so careful examination and removing ticks ASAP is the best approach to reducing your chance of infection. The Wikipedia page says there's little chance of infection in the first 24 hours ... but by then it's going to be very difficult removing a tick (it will likely have buried its head in your flesh by then). The sooner the better.

Old 10-20-2011, 12:06 PM

941 posts, read 1,804,606 times
Default Tick-talk

Ticks are still out and ready to release from a branch, a blade of grass, or a leaf onto you until late October - early November in Virginia.
It's good to keep in mind they are not completely gone just yet...
If you are sitting under trees or going walking in the woods you might encounter one on you.
Ticks are not a dilemma and you need not carry the thought as a concern any more than a housefly getting in the door.
The bug issues here are not great since we do have winter (below 32 degrees) that keeps bug populations lower,
unlike states with temps that stay warm.
C'ville is a nice location.. you will enjoy it.

Last edited by CourageMom; 10-20-2011 at 12:17 PM..

Old 10-21-2011, 06:48 PM

894 posts, read 2,315,914 times
My dad lives in Tampa Bay area(Clearwater precisely) and with the kinds of bugs and other creatures that live there, I really would not be concerned about ticks. Yes I have had them on me before, but as others have stated, good examinations after being somewhere that might have a higher risk of getting them is essential. I'll take ticks over alligators any day!

Old 10-25-2011, 08:42 AM

11 posts, read 39,049 times
We have been in Charlottesville for 9 months to check out the area as well, looking at properties, hiking, etc. Every time we went out (especially April-July) we would always find ticks on us. One time I had 2 stuck in my back and good thing I had someone with me to take them out - can't imagine what people do who live alone. We are extra careful in checking but those little things creep me out. My husband got the dreaded bulls-eye rash and was treated with antibiotics. We have a dog too and let's not even go into that conversation! Other than the ticks, there is a ton to do around here. Love the scenery and vineyards. We are moving to another location mainly because of jobs, housing prices, lack of biking lanes, Route 29, limited health clubs, limited public open space and those ticks.

Old 10-26-2011, 11:44 AM

938 posts, read 1,515,614 times
Yes ticks are a problem here, especially in heavily wooded areas. Always check your body and your kids for ticks after an outdoor activity near forests and bushes.

Old 11-07-2011, 06:04 AM

3 posts, read 8,462 times
Our trip to charlottesville was fantastic... 4 adults and two children, we made it safely back home. I thoroughly enjoyed C'ville, the fall colors, the winding road, the hills, the brick houses, I felt I was in an oil painting the whole time. It was magnificant. We didn't think it is the place for us to raise the family though. This is a great city to visit, but very hilly, there are hardly any workable streets in the city unless you are in UVA grounds. Having lived in SF for 20 yrs, we would prefer more flat land. In terms of ticks, funny enough, i saw one crawling on my daughter's sleeve when we got into the hotel room, and I just picked him up and washed him away in the sink.

Old 11-07-2011, 10:17 AM

6,219 posts, read 5,944,595 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ye_sf View Post
This is a great city to visit, but very hilly, there are hardly any workable streets in the city unless you are in UVA grounds. Having lived in SF for 20 yrs, we would prefer more flat land.
Like many towns in the piedmont region of VA/NC/SC, Charlottesville gets quite a few ice storms in the winter. Now imagine being in a movie/at a friend's house/at a party when an ice storm hits, driving down into one of those little valleys in between hills and trying to get up the other side. This happened to me many times in the five years I lived there ... the solution was usually abandoning my car and walking (or crawling) home .

For flatter land, you need to move somewhat east ... you might check out Richmond or Williamsburg in VA; Charlotte or the Research Triangle in NC; Columbia in SC. Which area would work best for you depends on your other requirements for a move so you might post inquiries in the appropriate forums for these towns.

Old 11-08-2011, 11:11 AM

419 posts, read 902,782 times
Just out of curiousity, what are workable streets?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Charlottesville