Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Charlottesville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-13-2008, 02:28 PM

11 posts, read 30,363 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rhett_Butler View Post
I'm originally from a northern suburb of Chicago, but lived a large portion of my life in Albemarle County and am more or less a converted "yankee". So yeah. I'd say if your in the mind-frame that the southern way of living is more "you" then absolutely Virginia would be a good move for you.

Keep in mind that you won't notice much of a difference from New England if you move to the D.C. suburbs. Everything that annoys you about where you are (except the weather) will still be there. You need to be a bit further out to get what it sounds like you are seeking.
Sounds great...I hate D.C...went there a couple of times when I was in the military. I don't like politicians much anyway and I am looking for a much slower way of life. I'm thinking Blue Ridge/Shenandoah Valley...See you all in three years! (or is it y'all in VA?)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-13-2008, 08:35 PM

40 posts, read 209,215 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rhett_Butler View Post
This American doesn't get why you all don't just let Quebec leave and be independent....

I am from Quebec and Quebec is part of Canada and that is the way it should stay......

Last edited by ms.canada2005; 04-13-2008 at 08:36 PM.. Reason: typing error

Old 04-14-2008, 07:18 PM

624 posts, read 1,161,294 times
Default Stagnant thoughts

Quote:
Posted by
vanyali

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ernest
If you have to ask as if being "southern" is a bad thing then please stay where you are. You "free thinkers" have created your own mess and we don't need anymore "progressive" types or "open minded" types who have checked their brains at the door.

I guess it's about that Southern then. That is exactly the sort of thing Southerners say that makes everyone else in the country say "eww".
I can't believe this posting is still going on over a month. Anyone living in the South and criticizing or hating it needs to move. If you live in the North and hate or dislike the South, you need to stay North. If you get along with people and really care about life, live anywhere you desire. I haven't seen any border guards at the state lines yet.

Old 04-14-2008, 08:44 PM

40 posts, read 209,215 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunset_Va View Post
I can't believe this posting is still going on over a month. Anyone living in the South and criticizing or hating it needs to move. If you live in the North and hate or dislike the South, you need to stay North. If you get along with people and really care about life, live anywhere you desire. I haven't seen any border guards at the state lines yet.
I agree with Sunset stay where you are if you are just going to ***** and be negative!

Old 04-15-2008, 12:14 PM

847 posts, read 3,353,168 times
I think you people have done a good job of changing my mind on Charlottesville. I think I'll stop telling people that it's a fine place to move to. Thanks for the info.

Old 04-15-2008, 01:17 PM
j1n

1,245 posts, read 4,659,076 times
I think that it's good for folks to hear the various sides and opinions. I wouldn't want to hear only one set of opinions, move somewhere, and then wish someone had told me some of the tougher truths about the place. And I also don't think it's fair for folks who have never been to/don't live in the south to hate or bash it based on preconceived notions or stereotypes.
However...if you move here from somewhere else and, after living some life here, find it to be different (less positve?) than you expected...it's fair to share that stuff. That's what this forum is for...sharing info.
But honestly, when someone says something like "we don't need your progressive ideas" or "stay away", then they are essentially saying "we don't want any forward progress or new ideas". Forward progress and new ideas don't need to change a whole lifestyle or cause negative upsets. But they can add to an already pleasant way of life...make it even better. And criticisms can be constructive. Saying things like "stay away"?? That kind of attitude creates an "us v them" mentality and is what many of the negative southern stereotypes are based on!

Old 04-15-2008, 09:59 PM

393 posts, read 1,497,741 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vanyali View Post
I think you people have done a good job of changing my mind on Charlottesville. I think I'll stop telling people that it's a fine place to move to. Thanks for the info.
I'd venture to say that the most contentious folks in this thread don't even live in Charlottesville. Don't let them represent a town they've probably never even stepped foot in.

Old 04-16-2008, 06:43 AM

6,565 posts, read 14,292,505 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by j1n View Post
But honestly, when someone says something like "we don't need your progressive ideas" or "stay away", then they are essentially saying "we don't want any forward progress or new ideas". Forward progress and new ideas don't need to change a whole lifestyle or cause negative upsets. But they can add to an already pleasant way of life...make it even better. And criticisms can be constructive. Saying things like "stay away"?? That kind of attitude creates an "us v them" mentality and is what many of the negative southern stereotypes are based on!
Again showing how people just don't get it....

Northern transplant: "This is rediculous!!! Up NORTH I could buy beer on Sunday!!!!"

Southerner: "Well here you can't."

Northern transplant: "Well that's just stupid!!!"

This is the type of attitude that pisses the typical southerner off (just one VERY minor example).

"Let's build more shopping. Where's the Walmart? Where's the Mall? You have to build them to attract more people to this town so that we can continue to tax everybody and make this town prosper!!!!"

Hey.... Maybe the town is fine the way it is... Maybe sky-scraper dreams isn't what a small town southerner aspires to???

Again, southerners typically don't like the way things are in Massachusetts. Thus, they do not move there.

People from Massachusetts moving to the south isn't even that big of a deal, but the south is going to resist it when these people push to make it more like Massachusetts.

Sorry it seems so obvious to the typical northerner that the way things are done up north are so much better. The typical southerner disagrees. Since the northerner has moved south, guess who wins the discussion???

"Progressive" is a loaded term. It implies "advancement" or some kind of "betterment of society". If southerners are happy with their society it isn't seen as "progressive", it's seen as digressive to a way of life they don't want.

Old 04-16-2008, 06:47 AM

6,565 posts, read 14,292,505 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vanyali View Post
Glad to help.

Old 04-16-2008, 09:00 AM

847 posts, read 3,353,168 times
It wasn't when I could or couldn't buy beer that was the problem when I moved south. It was the people themselves.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Charlottesville