Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Chattanooga
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-08-2010, 09:32 PM

17 posts, read 40,103 times

Advertisements

My husband and I want to relocate to Chattanooga within the next year, however the career my husband has does not exsist in TN so the possibility of transfering is not an option.

We still really want to move down, however we would do so without jobs lined up. I've been getting mixed answers as to the shape of the job market in Chattanooga which makes my husband uneasy.

I also unsure of how to even go about applying for jobs since we'll be moving from NY so interviewing will not be easy.

Can anyone give me some insight to the job market in Chattanooga?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-08-2010, 09:38 PM

2,319 posts, read 4,805,559 times
What are your careers?

Old 12-08-2010, 09:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by peppermint View Post
What are your careers?
My husband works for a cesspool company-which do not exsist in TN and I am an assistant office manager for a financial firm.

Old 12-08-2010, 09:43 PM

Hmmm, what sort of jobs would he be qualified for?

I have no idea about jobs for you. I'm not at all familiar with that market. I assume you're checking the help wanted and newspaper job wanted section.

Old 12-08-2010, 09:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by peppermint View Post
Hmmm, what sort of jobs would he be qualified for?

I have no idea about jobs for you. I'm not at all familiar with that market. I assume you're checking the help wanted and newspaper job wanted section.
I've been searching Craigslist, chattanoogahasjobs.com, and times free press. I don't know of any other places to look.

As far as my husband, he's hoping he can either get into construction or transportation since he'll have his class A license by the time we move.

Old 12-08-2010, 09:57 PM

Well, I honestly can't give any advice on these. If you aren't finding anything where you're looking (craigslist, etc.), I don't know what to say. I tend to be a cautious sort, so I would not move hundreds of miles without a job lined up. There may be plenty of opportunities that I don't know about, but I have heard some construction folks talking about how bad business is right now. That's just hearsay though.

Maybe someone who knows something will pipe up. I wish you luck!

Old 12-09-2010, 10:25 AM

28 posts, read 61,258 times
My husband and i have done this twice in our lives. Moved to other states without jobs lined up. Its different for everyone *smile* All i can really say is things always work out if you have the 'inner sense' needed that THINGS WILL WORK OUT and they do We love it here in Chattanooga...and we were all working within three weeks.

Old 12-13-2010, 03:09 PM

282 posts, read 807,261 times
I think it can work, if you're truly willing to do whatever it takes.

A few thoughts:

1) Do you have a savings to cushion the transition?
2) Are you willing to cut all expenses except the true essentials until you land something?
3) Are you willing to live in something cheap until you find something?
4) Have you looked for contract work in addition to FT work? Many times a contract gig can turn into a FT opportunity if you do a great job.
5) What are your personalities like? Are you aggressive "go-getters?" Do you not take "no" for an answer? Do you know how to network?

Depending on your answers, it's possible to make it work. If this is just a whim, I wouldn't do it. But if you are really, really serious about making the transition and are willing to do what it takes, I'd be surprised if it doesn't eventually work out for you.

Good Luck!

Old 12-13-2010, 03:44 PM

233 posts, read 721,014 times
Perhaps a way to find out about the job market for what each of you do, you could check indeed.com. The site "gathers" job postings from almost all other sites, so if you do a search of "office manager" in Chattanooga, you will see how many postings there are. That might help give you an idea of what is available. Hope this helps a little. Good luck to you both!

Old 12-13-2010, 03:47 PM

283 posts, read 900,583 times
OK, I wondered what the difference was between cesspools and septic systems... it appears cesspools are more rudimentary. Would your husband's skills translate into the septic system area?

I agree with the others who said to be careful, have money saved up for the time before the jobs kick in, etc. In this economy, it may be a long time before a job appears.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Chattanooga