Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Chattanooga
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 12-27-2011, 02:41 PM

6,662 posts, read 13,328,903 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by zacaria View Post
I've already lived in those places.
I apologize for the insults, if that's how you guys took it. When can an opinion ever be just an opinion without it being an insult. Isn't this forum built on opinions? Are they all suppose to be the same opinions? People talked about Detroit, Chicago, and Atlanta like a dog and i don't get upset. Hell everything negative they've said about the neighborhoods for the most part was true, even I say it from time to time....but their are beautiful parts to all those cities that these people didn't know about. I didn't get upset with them. I just told them they need to go to the better parts and they will see it differently, as I'm sure I will once I visit again this summer.
Opinions are just opinions...but sometimes how you state them can be insulting. I'm not offended...but then again, I'm not a Chattanoogan. I like Chattanooga, but it's not my favorite place in the world. When it comes to the beauty and the charm, though, a lot of that can depend on when you visit. If you happen to be there on a dreary winter day, you're going to get a lot different impression of the city than you would on a sunny spring day. That's just how it is. I can't say I haven't done exactly that myself.

I think what might be perceived as insulting, though, is how you compare these parts of Chattanooga that you visited with anywhere USA...when you really just visited a small part of the city. Sure...exploring can tell you a lot about a city...but if you're just blindly exploring...what do you expect to find?

The reason why this might be insulting to a local is that the local knows where to go, and where to find all of the places that make Chattanooga Chattanooga...the places that differentiate it from anywhere USA. These locations aren't marked on a map, and can't always be found in travel guides. I think unless you got a local tour guide, you probably didn't get a view of Chattanooga that does it justice. People have made similar comments about Nashville before...and all I can think is "where did you go? I would've known where to take you!"

I'm not saying all this to imply that Chattanooga is definitely a place that you SHOULD like and WOULD LOVE to live. Everybody's different. I can't say I would love to live there. I don't know.

Also, when people talk about the beauty of Chattanooga, I think most of the comments are about the natural setting, not the buildings or downtown specifically. If you didn't find the natural setting that appealing, I would certainly advise you to go back in the spring or summer when the trees have leaves and things are in full bloom.

Old 12-27-2011, 03:54 PM

611 posts, read 1,998,469 times
Quote:
I wouldn't have had a problem with any of the things I described if it had been kept up. I like neat. and well maintained...the areas was not kept up. You don't have to have an expensive home in order to keep it up. However, I can only compare it to what I've seen from my past... parts of metro Atlanta, metro Detroit/Detroit, Chicago and Greenville, SC.... they were well maintained and neat for that price range of $150.00. Like I said the city itself does not have to have all the things I named, but at least have it in the county or be able to drive up to 45 minutes, maybe an hour to get to it. I think that's being fair, don't you?
I didn't knock your downtown, I just had my expectations pushed up to high. Like I said, in the summer it's probably really nice and a great place to hang out. It was the neighborhood I was mostly disappointed in.
I think with the low cost housing and people moving in to $300-500,000 neighborhood on a shoe string budget as you call because the house foreclosed, we will all have a little baby Beirut next door to us in our beautiful neighborhood. Low income to high middle class all in the same block. I don't have a problem with it as long as you keep the noise down and keep your property up, and not have rowdy friends that come over loud. That's why I wouldn't move into a new development. People don't stay there long. The only thing I know is that with prices falling daily and continuing to fall all over, why pay top dollars when I don't have to. But I heard that you guys property value was appreciating overall for 2011 by 1% and by 3% for 2012. If that be the case,maybe I was looking at homes that never lost it's value over the years, my bad!
This reminds me of several conversations I've had buyers and folks in general. Everyone comes to Chattanooga from larger cities thinking they are going to steal a house or property. The difference between us and the large cities is simple supply and demand. You will not get much for $150K close to downtown. Go out towards the county limits and you'll do fine. Our economy and housing market isn't in the same state as the places you've mentioned. Good luck with your search. There are lots of great deals in most of FL. Taxes and insurance are brutal there though.

Old 12-27-2011, 05:05 PM

5 posts, read 30,585 times
Point well taken Nashvols, maybe I could have used more diplomacy. RiverView, keep in mind, I had no idea where any of these houses were located before I began driving around to look at them. All the houses that I viewed was not near the downtown area, just two of them. I went downtown first to see downtown. I always view a cities downtown first before I view the rest of the city. I see it as my introduction to the city! Also my goal was to rent from May-May 2012, not buy. Once I explored the area in more detail during that year, than I would look into buying. But I decided to do a drive by 1st

Old 12-27-2011, 07:17 PM

Quote:
Point well taken Nashvols, maybe I could have used more diplomacy. RiverView, keep in mind, I had no idea where any of these houses were located before I began driving around to look at them. All the houses that I viewed was not near the downtown area, just two of them. I went downtown first to see downtown. I always view a cities downtown first before I view the rest of the city. I see it as my introduction to the city! Also my goal was to rent from May-May 2012, not buy. Once I explored the area in more detail during that year, than I would look into buying. But I decided to do a drive by 1st
Rents are even higher here. Another complaint about the Nooga. Supply and demand.

Old 12-27-2011, 07:19 PM

340 posts, read 1,512,013 times
I won't bash you Zacaria because even if you have offended a few you're not that far off. I'm guessing some people commenting don't have experience with living in major cities or the amenities and variety of living options found in them. However I'd point out that it isn't fair to compare very large city with a relatively small one -- you should be comparing Chattanooga to other cities with a similar size. Greenville, maybe. Chicago, c'mon, it's not really fair. Chicago is one of the US's top cities with incredible variety of housing and entertainment options.

The thing that no one likes to talk about in Chattanooga that is really its downfall is the crime. This is an issue that never seems to be openly discussed, especially not here. I bring it up because you are 100% correct regarding slummish neighborhoods -- there are a lot of disadvantaged people in Chattanooga, in places you apparently stumbled upon. The crime rate is one of the worst in the country. Christmas Eve saw 9 people get shot in a gang shootout right downtown, and the crime rate in terms of violent crime in general is extremely high. This is not an isolated incident and people are shot downtown, in the parks, etc., a few times a year. I can get past the hyped marketing and appreciate it as a small city with several interesting points to explore for its size. We've found a great neighborhood in which to live, and stay because work keeps us here especially in this economy. But if the element that is creating the violent crime starts shooting at noon as opposed to midnight the city is going to have a real PR problem. Right now its swept under the rug -- the stories of late night Chattanooga are easily ignored since they occur when all the good people are asleep.

Moderator cut: link removed, linking to competitor sites is not allowed

Last edited by Yac; 12-28-2011 at 06:18 AM..

Old 12-28-2011, 06:30 AM

145 posts, read 450,998 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nashvols View Post
Opinions are just opinions...but sometimes how you state them can be insulting. I'm not offended...but then again, I'm not a Chattanoogan. I like Chattanooga, but it's not my favorite place in the world. When it comes to the beauty and the charm, though, a lot of that can depend on when you visit. If you happen to be there on a dreary winter day, you're going to get a lot different impression of the city than you would on a sunny spring day. That's just how it is. I can't say I haven't done exactly that myself.

I think what might be perceived as insulting, though, is how you compare these parts of Chattanooga that you visited with anywhere USA...when you really just visited a small part of the city. Sure...exploring can tell you a lot about a city...but if you're just blindly exploring...what do you expect to find?

The reason why this might be insulting to a local is that the local knows where to go, and where to find all of the places that make Chattanooga Chattanooga...the places that differentiate it from anywhere USA. These locations aren't marked on a map, and can't always be found in travel guides. I think unless you got a local tour guide, you probably didn't get a view of Chattanooga that does it justice. People have made similar comments about Nashville before...and all I can think is "where did you go? I would've known where to take you!"

I'm not saying all this to imply that Chattanooga is definitely a place that you SHOULD like and WOULD LOVE to live. Everybody's different. I can't say I would love to live there. I don't know.

Also, when people talk about the beauty of Chattanooga, I think most of the comments are about the natural setting, not the buildings or downtown specifically. If you didn't find the natural setting that appealing, I would certainly advise you to go back in the spring or summer when the trees have leaves and things are in full bloom.
Yep, for me, any offense was entirely in the delivery. To be honest, there was a lot of what the OP said that I agree with 100% (like the gorgeous, totally renovated houses that are sitting right next door to, well, rather off-putting houses :-/, for one thing).

Also, I'm not even a proper Chattanoogan, as I don't actually live there (though, I would like to if I can find the right house in the right location...for the right amount of money, of course ) but am a very, very frequent visitor (just about every weekend). But what I read came off as offensive to me because it was basically written (probably unintentionally on the OP's part) as, "OMG your city sucks and here's why...". Rather than being a diplomatic critique, it just sounded like an unprovoked rant and a diatribe.

Like I said, there was much in the message I have to agree with. But when the message is delivered as it was, it's difficult to take it seriously.

Old 12-28-2011, 01:25 PM

352 posts, read 883,306 times
Being born and raised here, this is my opinion. Most of the trash you may have encountered was in the areas where residents don't care about there ghetto ways. Unfortunately, the city can clean so much and I would gather just let it pile up till everyone else is done. I would too. It's like cleaning up after your kids, you do it so much and teach them you eventually don't care and let them live in flith in their room thinking that might want them to do something. Also though, i don't understand why the city lets Jacks Alley sidewalks get so NASTY! Come on public works, blast it with a pressure washer. That is high traffic area and I don't even want to step on the sidewalks! The thing I don't understand with the OP is about the Aquarium and Zoo. We have those! The Aquarium is top notch and a major hang out for families during the warmer seasons. Plus it sits along the River which is a great area! We have a zoo, a small one, but it was just re-done and is really nice! I am going to guess when you left the interstate you went towards the South Side. this area is in a transition. But not one of the best areas to be downtown. I think you just went the wrong way

FYI, about the crime. Ghetto is as ghetto does.. they can keep shooting at each other for all i care. I know where to be an where not to be when these "parties" are happening. Eventually they will take care of themselves and problem solved. In the mean time, if parents were held responsible for these teens and possibly fined for their bad behavior, maybe they will start parenting!

Last edited by Beretta; 12-28-2011 at 03:50 PM..

Old 12-29-2011, 06:25 AM

22,974 posts, read 27,005,313 times
Zacaria, as someone who's been to Chatt several times, has friends that live there and is looking to live in TN very soon I'll say you're not that far off in your assessment. I've also lived in GA and NC as well as multiple places in CA. Cities are cities in my estimation, take San Francisco for example. People simply rave how wonderful and beautiful it is BUT take a walk downtown away from Fisherman's Warf and it's filthy, smells of urine and bums everywhere hitting you up for money (some are pretty aggressive) and don't even get me started on the tenderloin area or the nudists walking around (though not in restaurants anymore).
Chatt has one of the best hotels I've ever stayed in (Doubletree) and we travel a whole bunch btw so are familiar with hotels. Parts of the city are real nice, just mostly the tourist areas.

We're on our 15th move and the one thing we've learned is we NEVER base our moves on what the downtown core looks like as we don't and won't ever live there, we go there when we need to. There's a huge amount of beautiful towns in TN, not cities per say but towns and many beautiful areas to live all around Chatt.
As for housing prices, well, I can tell you that TN as a whole never had the run up in housing prices like GA,NC and all the rest that are in free fall so they won't have the price drops that go along with that run up (currently living in AZ so we have a bit of knowledge in this area).

There are some great deals in all areas of TN, we're currently looking at several areas state wide but you also have to take into account that most are not right on top of each other, instead they've got some space to a lot of space between 'em. TN is the place to get a decent house on one thing that many other places don't have, LAND. If you get a reasonable house on a few acres who really cares what the guy a mile away is doing, you're in your own little world at that point.
The big upsides to TN in my opinion are 1.The government isn't always trying to put a hand in your pocket to take more money. 2. You are within a couple hours drive of some of the most beautiful areas in the country. 3. You are within a few hours drive of some of the best cities in the country. 4. You are within a weekend trip to a warm water beach. 5. You are within a couple of hours to a weekend trip to ski. 6.Southern food (need I say more?). 7. You are within minutes to hours of world class BBQ.
If you need an infusion of charming take a small drive and go see Gatlinburg or take a day trip in the smokies and stop at some of the fruit orchards, pick up some fresh apple cider and relax.

Old 12-31-2011, 12:03 PM

65 posts, read 134,885 times
I grew up in Chattanooga. From December to February it is not much to look at, it's true. On the plus side there's rarely ice or snow to contend with, and if there is snow, everything shuts down so you get to enjoy it instead of fighting it.

But dear gods, if you have ever spent an autumn in Chattanooga you will be spoiled for anything else. I have seen places with beautiful trees, but nowhere else where you are cradled in mountains that turn entirely gold and red and copper... Wow. And in the spring everything bursts into bloom. Beautiful... Unless you have allergies.

I don't prefer to live in Chattanooga because I am pretty liberal and like a more punctual/fast paced lifestyle as well, but I still pine for those autumns and the gardens I used to plant in Chattanooga in the spring.

Old 12-31-2011, 04:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by xmasevemom View Post
I don't prefer to live in Chattanooga because I am pretty liberal and like a more punctual/fast paced lifestyle as well, but I still pine for those autumns and the gardens I used to plant in Chattanooga in the spring.
A few years ago there was a guy running for one of the city councils around here. His slogan: (and I kid you not, you can't make this stuff up) "'Fred Smith', Honest, Well Groomed and Punctual" Classic!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Chattanooga