Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Chattanooga
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-03-2012, 09:54 PM

3 posts, read 26,750 times

Advertisements

We are going to be moving to the Chattanooga area. My husband will be working downtown, although he can also work from home frequently. I am wondering if we should live in TN or GA. What are the pros and cons of each? Specifically I'm thinking in terms of taxes, cost-of-living, and schools, but I welcome any other thoughts.
We have very young children, and we would also like to have some land (several acres). Night-life isn't important to us, although I would like to be near a Target equivalent and a good grocery store (within 10 minutes or so). We want to be able to do lots of outdoorsy stuff like hikes and bike rides. So these are our priorities (in no particular order):

-- not a bad commute to downtown office
-- good schools
-- a few acres of land -- rural but not too rural
-- not a cookie-cutter subdivision (don't want a homeowners asscociation)

Can you recommend some areas and whether you think TN or GA is better? Thank you so much for your help!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-04-2012, 05:04 AM

138 posts, read 232,363 times
If you live in TN, you will not pay income tax.

Old 09-04-2012, 05:34 AM

1,285 posts, read 2,356,294 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Binkbaby View Post
Which is enough of a reason to forget Ga.

Old 09-04-2012, 06:30 AM

70 posts, read 213,179 times
I lived in GA (Marietta) for over 7 years, having moved from Cleveland, TN for a job relocation. The additional expenses associated solely with living in GA amounted to an approx. 10% increase in my spending. Yes, there is a state income tax (about 3% +/-), but there is also an ad valorem tax on your automobiles. In TN, my annual license renewal costs approx. $25 per vehicle. In GA, I paid $298, $215, and $187 on my 3 cars during my last year in GA. Also, gasoline prices are slightly cheaper in TN (hasn't always been that way). Monthly utilities (water, electricity, etc.) were proportionally higher in GA. Yes, GA does have a lower sales tax, but that didn't make up for the other taxes, fees, etc. Besides, if you are anticipating a major purchase (large applicances, lawn mower, electroinics, etc.), you can do as I do...jump over the state line (go to Dalton, GA for example) and make the purchase there. I live in Cleveland, TN now (again), and I would strongly recommend locating in TN. Lots of nice areas...obviously I prefere east and north of Chattanooga. Best wishes on your relocation efforts.

Old 10-01-2012, 06:43 PM

1 posts, read 17,908 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rick26 View Post
I lived in GA (Marietta) for over 7 years, having moved from Cleveland, TN for a job relocation. The additional expenses associated solely with living in GA amounted to an approx. 10% increase in my spending. Yes, there is a state income tax (about 3% +/-), but there is also an ad valorem tax on your automobiles. In TN, my annual license renewal costs approx. $25 per vehicle. In GA, I paid $298, $215, and $187 on my 3 cars during my last year in GA. Also, gasoline prices are slightly cheaper in TN (hasn't always been that way). Monthly utilities (water, electricity, etc.) were proportionally higher in GA. Yes, GA does have a lower sales tax, but that didn't make up for the other taxes, fees, etc. Besides, if you are anticipating a major purchase (large applicances, lawn mower, electroinics, etc.), you can do as I do...jump over the state line (go to Dalton, GA for example) and make the purchase there. I live in Cleveland, TN now (again), and I would strongly recommend locating in TN. Lots of nice areas...obviously I prefere east and north of Chattanooga. Best wishes on your relocation efforts.
Hi,
We are looking to possibly move to Cleveland, TN. We live in Alabama right now, and I am in college. I understand that there is a comunnity College in Cleveland which offers a nursing program. My husband and I have a son who will be 2 soon. Can you please tell me a little bit about the area, things to do for small children etc. Also, if you could recomend areas or parts of the town to look at when we consider housing. We would look to rent a house at first. Any information on the area would be greatly appreciated! I have never been there, its still only in the "works" of it being a possibility to move there, but we are wanting to do our research before we relocate our family!
Thank you

Old 10-05-2012, 08:31 AM

352 posts, read 883,145 times
I don't know alot about Cleveland, but I do know it is a nice area. As far as nursing school goes, though, I have heard and believe you can research it, that Chattanooga State (amnicola hwy) Has the BEST , top notch nursing school.

Best of luck!

Old 10-06-2012, 03:21 PM

70 posts, read 213,179 times
britneyasya,
Yes, Cleveland State Community College (Cleveland State Community College) does, in fact, have a very highly regarded nursing program. The curriculum is designed as either a basis for transfer to a 4-yr (B.S.N.) program or for an A.A.S. degree in prep to become a licensed R.N. I suggest you look over the school's on-line catalog for full details. BTW, my daughter is an Assoc. Prof. and head of the Medical Office Assistant program at Cleveland State.
As for an area of town to look for housing, that's a pretty open-ended question. Your specific needs/wants, along with budget for rent would all need to be considered in order to narrow down suitable areas. No matter who you speak to, all would have a different opinion about the "best" areas. Only you can decide that for yourself. I would suggest contacting a local real estate professional with your requirements and be prepared to answer a lot of questions.
The area has quite a number of parks and playgrounds that would be suitable for young children. Local churches, YMCA, and most schools have a good variety of outdoor opportunities for play fun. More formal, organized activities would typically be offered through a church or the YMCA. Chattanooga (30 miles away) would possibily offer additional recreational activites for children.
Let me know if you have more specific questions about Cleveland (or the general Chattanooga area). I'll be glad to respond.

Old 10-06-2012, 10:32 PM

5 posts, read 28,023 times
Default East Brainerd

Sounds to me like you all should live in East Brainerd. Most schools in that area are good schools, and they are public, so no shelling out thousands for quality education. There is a Target in East Brainerd, and there is a Publix, Fresh Market, and a Walmart, so take your pick. Houses farther down East Brainerd Road typically have more land and larger houses, but you will pay for that. The homes easily exceed 200k, but if that isn't too much of a problem for you, then congrats.

Old 10-08-2012, 08:09 PM

763 posts, read 2,604,303 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Binkbaby View Post
Tennessee does not have a STATE tax. We still pay income tax.

Old 10-08-2012, 08:22 PM

249 posts, read 659,290 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KABurke View Post
Tennessee does not have a STATE tax. We still pay income tax.
Tennessee residents who work in Tennessee do not pay a state/local payroll income tax. This is contrary to Georgia, which forces you to pay payroll income tax whether you live there or not as long as you work there. Of course, if you live in Georgia and work in Tennessee, you'll also pay Georgia income tax.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Chattanooga