Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Chattanooga
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-25-2012, 01:36 AM

309 posts, read 720,685 times

Advertisements

Hey all, I am a recent engineering graduate (27yo, male) starting a position in Dalton, GA, in January. (This was a quick hire; otherwise I wouldn't be doing this on such short notice). The thing is I haven't found the prospect of living in Dalton all that attractive based on my two overnight visits there for interviews.

However, Chattanooga seems like the great place to live. (I grew up in Tuscaloosa and lived in Nashville for while, and I've visited Chattanooga a few times. All this to say I'm not expecting any culture shock should I move here.) From my trips, it didn't seem like it was too far of a commute from Chattanooga to Dalton. Granted, I've never been traveling during rush hour. What would a rush hour commute from Chattanooga to Dalton be like? I'm prepared to accept a 45-minute commute to avoid living in Dalton, if I can manage it.

I'm very early in my search for a place to live. (I was only offered the position on Friday and accepted it today.) Thus, I don't have any specifics about where I would want to live, what my price range is, what kind of scene I'm looking for, etc.

Merry Christmas!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-25-2012, 04:24 AM

611 posts, read 2,004,656 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ttownfeen View Post
Hey all, I am a recent engineering graduate (27yo, male) starting a position in Dalton, GA, in January. (This was a quick hire; otherwise I wouldn't be doing this on such short notice). The thing is I haven't found the prospect of living in Dalton all that attractive based on my two overnight visits there for interviews.

However, Chattanooga seems like the great place to live. (I grew up in Tuscaloosa and lived in Nashville for while, and I've visited Chattanooga a few times. All this to say I'm not expecting any culture shock should I move here.) From my trips, it didn't seem like it was too far of a commute from Chattanooga to Dalton. Granted, I've never been traveling during rush hour. What would a rush hour commute from Chattanooga to Dalton be like? I'm prepared to accept a 45-minute commute to avoid living in Dalton, if I can manage it.

I'm very early in my search for a place to live. (I was only offered the position on Friday and accepted it today.) Thus, I don't have any specifics about where I would want to live, what my price range is, what kind of scene I'm looking for, etc.

Merry Christmas!
Good Morning, Merry Christmas and welcome to the area. As long as you live in East Brainerd, Apison and some parts of Ooltewah, Dalton won't be a bad commute at all. I have a very close friend that lived in Mtn Shadows (East Brainerd Community) and commuted to Dalton for years. They eventually moved to Riverview because it was more convenient for his family to do all the other things in their life. He said it added about 15 minutes to his commute. You will also have a better selection of homes in the E Brainerd / Apison / Ooltewah area too. Congrats on the new job!

Old 12-26-2012, 10:39 AM

Thanks for the reply! How is the walkability of those neighborhoods? Ideally, I would like a place where one can walk to grocery stores, banks, coffee shops, perhaps a neighborhood pub, and only need to drive to go to Sam's, the mall, the primary nightlife areas, etc.

Old 12-26-2012, 07:52 PM

Quote:
Thanks for the reply! How is the walkability of those neighborhoods? Ideally, I would like a place where one can walk to grocery stores, banks, coffee shops, perhaps a neighborhood pub, and only need to drive to go to Sam's, the mall, the primary nightlife areas, etc.
The neighborhoods in East Brainerd, Ooltewah and Apison are walkable but ONLY in the neighborhoods. The kind of walkable you mentioned is found in North Chattanooga / Riverview and the Downtown and Southside areas. Those areas would be around a 30-40 minutes commute to Dalton in peak traffic hours. Your morning commute would probably be more like 30 minutes because you would be driving oposite of the normal flow of traffic. The trip back home would be longer because of the merge at 75 and 24.

Old 12-27-2012, 01:56 PM

That sounds great. 30-60 minutes is not dissimilar to my current commute to school/work now.

Old 12-28-2012, 05:44 AM

Quote:
That sounds great. 30-60 minutes is not dissimilar to my current commute to school/work now.
Chattanoogan's are a bit spoiled. Any commute over 30 minutes freaks us out!

Old 01-12-2013, 05:48 PM

91 posts, read 283,248 times
Not a drive too bad at all especially since most traffic will be coming into Chatt. Wise move as well..

Old 01-21-2013, 02:45 PM

268 posts, read 746,408 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RiverView View Post
Chattanoogan's are a bit spoiled. Any commute over 30 minutes freaks us out!
Haha, that was Meridian, Mississippi for me. I used to LOVE that town,
no traffic whatsoever. The reasons are different, even sad, but I do hates me
some traffic.

Old 03-15-2013, 05:44 PM

36 posts, read 93,858 times
That drive would get old for me. You could live in between as N Ga is easily accessible to Chattanooga. Ringgold/Rossville area in N Ga.

Old 03-21-2013, 05:59 PM

65 posts, read 181,767 times
Another possible area would be Fort Oglethorpe. You're not too far from Dalton and you're still close to Chattanooga. I travel from the Red Bank area (north of the river) to the Fort O area to go skating and it takes about 20-25 minutes. Shave off about 10 minutes from that time to get to the downtown area.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Chattanooga