Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Chattanooga
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-15-2014, 01:25 PM

79 posts, read 249,258 times

Advertisements

Please help! We want to get away for a long weekend. Thinking about Chattanooga. What is the best area to stay in for two 50-something adults (no children)? We want to be close to nature/attractions, but still have easy access to restaurants/bars/nightlife. Only been to the area once when I was a kid. Any must sees?? Your help and advice will be greatly appreciated....THX!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-16-2014, 07:12 AM

70 posts, read 213,526 times
Madam..
Well, there are only about 1,000 choices I could recommend that would most likely fit your request. However, since I can just pick one based on my experience, here's what I'm suggesting....

Check in at a quaint B&B on Lookout Mountain (Chanticleer Inn a luxury Chattanooga Bed and Breakfast 1-866-424-2684 ) for your lodging.
Several of the typical tourist sites are on/around Lookout Mountain:
- Rock City
- Ruby Falls
- Point Park
- Incline Railway
...and, downtown Chattanooga is only a few miles away for the "nightlife".

Just my suggestion. I'm sure others would recommend something totally different but this is what I'd do for a long weekend.

---Rick26

Old 06-17-2014, 08:12 AM

1,253 posts, read 4,878,973 times
Cool Electric Bus , impulse browse.

M.O. There are a few newer hotels near the riverfront that would be a good location.. I assume you are coming midday on a Friday.. There is the free outdoor "NighFall Series music at Miller waterfountain Plaza,, also known as Bike night on Market st...... This is just north of the famous CHOO CHOO conference center. (Holiday Inn) , They have the Rail road train cars in rear that can be rented nightly ... ,But a walk thru of the garden, dining rooms are quite nice to see..... At this southern spot I would say jump on the FREE electric buses that run to the north side of city..... ANy time you see a photo spot , jump off & walk around to investigate..... A walk up on the pedistrian bridge to oversee the river , mtns would be a must see..
If renting a bike is your thing, can find the green ones on street corner.

Old 06-19-2014, 09:56 AM

Thanks for the info! I think the riverfront area sounds perfect. Any restaurant recommendations will be greatly appreciated too. (Not too expensive though - main entrees in the $10 to $15 range)

Thanks again,
Madam Oink

Old 06-23-2014, 11:35 AM

3,045 posts, read 5,249,678 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Madam Oink View Post
Thanks for the info! I think the riverfront area sounds perfect. Any restaurant recommendations will be greatly appreciated too. (Not too expensive though - main entrees in the $10 to $15 range)
Here is a list of must-visit restaurants in Chattanooga. I see no point in traveling a long distance to eat at a chain restaurant that is identical to the one back where you live, so this list consists of all local or local-chain establishments.

Best Casual Dining
1885 Grill in St. Elmo
They claim to serve "Southern Coastal" cuisine, but they also have excellent steaks and sandwiches. The staff is excellent, the food is outstanding, and there's even a nice view up Lookout Mountain if you sit on the patio. My favorite dish is the blackened trout, but I've never had a bad meal there. My wife and I went on our anniversary and the owner personally visited our table, gave us his card, and comped our desert. In my opinion, this is the best overall restaurant in the entirety of Chattanooga.

Best Traditional Hamburger
Merv's Restaurant on Mountain Creek Rd at the base of Signal Mountain
Delicious juicy burger (5oz or 8oz available), and the fries are a massive pile of outstanding fresh-cut fried potatoes (the "small" order is enough for 2+ people), all at a reasonble price. This used to be a bar/dive, but they have recently remodeled. The old bar and worn-down tables and booth are gone and replaced with nice new furniture. They do still have the game room in the back. I've heard they also have good chicken salad and chicken fingers, but I go for the burger and fries.
Runner Up: Lee's Armando's on East Brainerd Road. Another excellent burger, and they also have a pretty good Bison Burger.
Disclaimer: I've never eaten at the Urban Stack Burger Lounge, which is a modern/upscale burger & bourbon place that serves "not-so-traditional" burgers. It's supposed to be good, but I prefer "traditional" burgers.

Best Pizza
Lupi's Pizza Pies. Local chain with 4 locations: Downtown, East Brainerd, Hixson, and Cleveland.
Delicious thin-crust pizzas or calzones made from locally-sourced ingredients with an excellent beer selection. You can get everything from traditional American-style toppings to a artichoke pizza with white sauce (excellent, by the way). More pricey than your typical national chain but within your budget of well under $15/person.

There are more (best fried chicken: Champy's; best home cooking style: Bea's; etc.), but I've run out of time and need to get back to work. If you have a specific type of food you're interested in just ask.

Old 06-24-2014, 09:56 AM

352 posts, read 884,045 times
You need to go out for a good breakfast, and by far, in this town for a "local" place, is the best for breakfast. Be warned, don't try a late breakfast, you will be waiting to get seated.

www.bluegrassgrillchattanooga.com

Old 06-24-2014, 11:10 AM

3,045 posts, read 5,249,678 times
I would have recommended Aretha Frankensteins for breakfast (amazing buttermilk pancakes, which are also available as a dry mix in some local grocery stores), but the Bluegrass Grill also sounds good. I'll have to check them out.

Old 06-27-2014, 10:09 AM

You guys are the best! Turns out, I was unable to find a travel partner for this trip (my BFF got shingles and my roommate has commitments locally ), so I've put this idea on the back burner this time. However, now that my interest has been piqued, Chattanooga is on the short list!

Thanks again,

Madam ink

Old 06-30-2014, 04:04 PM

112 posts, read 405,056 times
Default Rick is spot on!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Madam Oink View Post
Please help! We want to get away for a long weekend. Thinking about Chattanooga. What is the best area to stay in for two 50-something adults (no children)? We want to be close to nature/attractions, but still have easy access to restaurants/bars/nightlife. Only been to the area once when I was a kid. Any must sees?? Your help and advice will be greatly appreciated....THX!

I agree with Rick....Chanticleer lodge is quaint and quiet....well, there is traffic going to Rock City next door. There is historic Point Park on the mountain..along with all the other attractions that have been here forever and you are 25 mins from downtown, the river and most of the good restaurants. Have fun...the whole area is drop dead beautiful
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Chattanooga