Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Chattanooga
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-14-2017, 05:56 AM

1 posts, read 1,593 times

Advertisements

Hi, I am considering a move from Florida to the Chattanooga area. We are really wanting to get some land and be more self reliant. We are a biracial family so that is my main concern with moving to the country. How diverse is the Chattanooga area? We do have children that we homeschool, so coming into town a few times a week for activities for them would be a must. Does anyone know how active the homeschool groups are around the area? We love hiking, and camping things like that. Maybe even a hiking group for kids?

We love the diversity tampa Florida has to offer and the homeschooling here is amazing. But land prices are expensive. So that is why we are starting to look elsewhere.

Also, I'm open to other areas as well. We would like to be within 30 mins of a larger city and looking to be near great hiking and outdoor activities
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-17-2017, 01:52 PM

1,277 posts, read 1,090,972 times
I am of Caribbean descent and my parents and sister live in Chattanooga area. They love it, especially my sister that is an outdoorsy person. My persons are leaving in two years back to Florida when they retire. The cold has gotten to them and they miss the sunshine and being close to the beach. Parents live in a conservative area Ooltewah, which does not appear very diverse, but they have their church support group which they interact with a lot. From my many visits, its a lot different than Florida cities when it comes to diversity. Its basically a black/white town and will have some mix couples. I hope you get some positives, but my friend moved back to Florida cause he wanted his biracial kids in a diverse area. Its a beautiful area with the mountains and trees. Good move for outdoors, but diversity I think it lacks in. Just one persons opinion.

Old 10-20-2017, 03:17 PM

25 posts, read 35,653 times
The city center and eastern Chattanooga is pretty diverse but self-segregated. The suburbs and country are vast majority white. Anywhere 30 minutes out is going to be all white.

I can't really comment on how it would be living in the country from a racial point of view, but if you have never lived around southern country folk I would HIGHLY suggest you do so before making any kind of investment. Anywhere with cheap land will be way out in the sticks, and the people out there are ultra-conservative and tend to be pretty insular. I won't say much more about that.

Look into Richmond VA, I bet that would be a good fit.

Old 01-22-2018, 02:06 PM

1,253 posts, read 4,876,612 times
Smile Bakewell / Sale creek region..

Welcome Neighbor, Just noticed your post...Don't read often.. Prior Fla , east coast...
Welcome Neighbor... We are in the north part of Hamilton county.. West side of lakie / river along 4 lane rt # 27.... Just north of SODDY is the Sale Creek / Bakewell section towards waterfront..... There is new construction , single homes,,,, Last two couples were from Arizona & Louisiana. We have friends from Wis that already bought land.. Current prices are $ 200 - 215 K . ... However along Mount Tabor rd, is a high population of A.A. .. Small farms on next rd Spradling. , etc.

Lots of hiking along plateau of Cumberland Trail network .. kayak paddle / fishing in many coves off main channel lake / river ... many bicycle clubs here ,,
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Chattanooga
View detailed profiles of: