Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Chattanooga
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-25-2018, 09:14 AM

120 posts, read 129,404 times

Advertisements

Weather dot com shows Rain or Showers for Chattanooga for 9 out of next 10 days. Is this common for this time of the year? Does it rain a lot in Winter in Chattanooga area?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-26-2018, 03:33 PM

249 posts, read 659,184 times
Late fall, winter and early spring are typically the "rainy" season as frontal systems are more likely to move through the area than in the summer.

Old 12-26-2018, 05:06 PM

1,664 posts, read 1,915,057 times
The yearly averag rainfall for Chattanooga is ~52".

As of the writing of this article, they had 60" for 2018.

https://www.timesfreepress.com/news/...valley/484722/

It's been exceptionally wet in most of Tennessee this year.

If you're looking for property! don't buy in a flood plane and beware of new developments, even if they say they aren't in a flood plain.

Do your homework.

Old 12-26-2018, 07:59 PM

26,404 posts, read 46,544,081 times
Rain, yes- record wettest further north by the Ohio Valley with 70''. If you don't like rain you're out of luck.

Old 12-27-2018, 01:03 AM

4,882 posts, read 5,011,495 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Normashirley View Post
The yearly averag rainfall for Chattanooga is ~52".

As of the writing of this article, they had 60" for 2018.

https://www.timesfreepress.com/news/...valley/484722/

It's been exceptionally wet in most of Tennessee this year.

If you're looking for property! don't buy in a flood plane and beware of new developments, even if they say they aren't in a flood plain.

Do your homework.
Since that article was written, I'm sure we've had 2 plus inches, with more in forecast before New Years. One day last week, one of the weathermen had a ruler in his hand, just to show just how much above normal rainfall we've had this year.

Old 12-27-2018, 02:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Creekcat View Post
Since that article was written, I'm sure we've had 2 plus inches, with more in forecast before New Years. One day last week, one of the weathermen had a ruler in his hand, just to show just how much above normal rainfall we've had this year.
With much more coming today. At least we will get rain. Further north it will be s ow with some places possibly seeing 1' to 1-1/2' of snow by tomorrow morning. <--- That is FEET of fallen snow.

I'm ~85 NW if Chattanooga. I have mud and squishy ground everywhere. I don't even remember having this much mud during the Nashville flood in 2010. We have excellent natural drainage but the ground is saturated.

Old 12-27-2018, 10:00 PM

Thank you all for the inputs. Do you feel the amount of rain is high enough to affect the ability to enjoy outdoor activities during significant parts of an average year?

Old 12-28-2018, 12:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cityb1 View Post
Thank you all for the inputs. Do you feel the amount of rain is high enough to affect the ability to enjoy outdoor activities during significant parts of an average year?
Well, that depends on what you mean by outdoor activities. I retired here from the OH/PA border. Even with all the rain we have had this year, I can still ride or work my horses outdoors more days of the year than I could up home. Conversely, as a spectator, I would not go to the Iroquois Steeplechase event in the rain as it is an outdoor event. I could always carry an umbrella but I would still have to ruin the look of my outfit by wearing some form of mud-worthy boots. <---- people dress to the Nines for the Steeplechase - it is a huge southern style equestrian event

It just depends what type of outdoor activities you want to do and your availability if you you work.

As I said earlier, we are wetter than usual this year but so is a lot of the U.S. According to the weather gurus on the Weather Channel that is because we are in a "weak El Niño pattern".

What holds me prisoner is the high heat/humidity in the summer. Mowing and bushhogging are tough for me during the height of the heat/humidity and I often just cannot stay out there -- DH has to finish for me. He works a full time job so him having to finish my outdoor work really tisses me off

As I write this, that big rain front the Weather Channels have been talking about has been stalled on top of us for several hours, with no let up in sight. It is also covering the Chattanooga area. My local news comes from Nashville, they are saying some of us MIGHT see 2" to 4" of rain from this system. That means all you might be doing outdoors is digging drain ditches to let the water go somewhere else, if you aren't careful about where you buy. I will say, it certainly beats the feet of snow the central Plains States are getting right now.

Right now would be a great time for you to take a few days and visit the area of Chattanooga you are interested in. You could easily see who floods and who doesn't, in spite of what a real estate agent might tell you. Poorly installed storm and sewer drains will back up in a New York minute, in this kind of weather

Old 12-28-2018, 09:44 PM

Thank you again for the responses.

Quote:
Well, that depends on what you mean by outdoor activities.
I enjoy hiking, riding bike, traveling on scenic back roads etc.

Quote:
What holds me prisoner is the high heat/humidity in the summer.......
Right now would be a great time for you to take a few days and visit the area of Chattanooga you are interested in.
Interestingly I had visited in Summer as I heard that the heat and humidity could be bad. I enjoyed my time and did not feel the heat/humidity were bad. Just to learn later that that was the best weekend of the whole summer. So probably I did not get a taste of the heat and humidity either.

But all considered I think I will happily trade snow and freezing cold for humidity and rain. Just has me concerned if it rains so much that people cannot enjoy the beautiful outdoors around Chattanooga.

Old 12-29-2018, 04:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cityb1 View Post

But all considered I think I will happily trade snow and freezing cold for humidity and rain. Just has me concerned if it rains so much that people cannot enjoy the beautiful outdoors around Chattanooga.
If you don't have to spend every waking moment working, you can always squeeze in a bike ride or a short hike

There are also a variety of great train rides in the Chattanooga area and the Tennessee Fish Aquariam is one of the best in the U.S.

If you love the outdoors that much, pack up your rain gear and have at it as long as you don't get caught in a thunderstorm.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Chattanooga