Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Chattanooga
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-18-2008, 07:10 PM

69 posts, read 144,017 times

Advertisements

Hello everyone!! My husband is retiring from the military next year and we are moving to the area summer 09 and are looking for any advice on the area and schools. I have been researching and looking. And have spoken to instructors at the schools, but would like "Real" knowledge from people who have kids at the schools, or know someone there. I will have a Freshman, Sophomore and Senior when we come there - and the oldest 2 are in the JROTC program here in FL, and that is a requirement because my son wants to finish up his Senior year with the program as well. I have schools narrowed down to the following (TN & GA):

(TN)
Soddy Daisy
Ooltewah
Red Bank

(GA)
Lakeview - Fort Oglethorpe (Catoosa County)
Ridgefield - (Walker County)

We are looking to buy a home, and our choices will depend on the schools we choose, but we also want to ensure a safe area as well. We will be visiting the middle of October, and are going to visit a couple schools while there since that will be our primary decision on where to choose to live.

Also - anyone have solid links on doing tax calculations to compare Chattanooga areas vs. Catoosa or Walker County, GA areas?? I want to see also which would be of best value for home vs. tax spending etc to get more for our money as well!!

Any advice appreciated!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-19-2008, 06:39 AM

2,349 posts, read 10,656,906 times
Well, looks like you've done your homework! Those schools have large ROTC programs that I am sure would accomodate your children. I will PM you the number of a person you can call for more info. You may want to check the state report site for stats on each school.

TN Department of Education:K-12

Each of those schools are in nice areas. I would have a hard time choosing so pick a home you like and draw straws Really, it's a hard choice so you've done well.

As far as taxes, we have no income tax in TN and GA does, that's about all I know Oh and there is no grocery states sales tax down that way either.

Old 09-19-2008, 12:09 PM

70 posts, read 299,040 times
I will probably get a rash of comments from folks who disagree but IMO, one of the possible destinations on your list (for either TN or GA) immediately pops to the top, by a wide margin - Ooltewah. My wife and I have lived and worked in the area for over 20 years (in fact, she is now doing some work for a physician in Ooltewah).

It's a great small town, yet very convenient to Chattanooga. It's immediate neighbor, Collegedale, is the site of a Seventh Day Adventist college so both towns actually have that cozy, small town, college atmosphere environment.

Hope this helps!

Old 09-19-2008, 05:17 PM

2,071 posts, read 7,684,171 times
Ooltewah...yes everyone should move there

Old 09-20-2008, 09:30 AM

69 posts, read 144,017 times
Jkme - Thanks for the link - I have looked at Greatschools.net scores, but went to compare to the direct link!! THANKS!! I have been digging and hoping something would jump out at me and say "here... RIGHT here"... so the search would be over!! LOL But I just liked to be prepared and make sure everything fits well!

Botts - Why do you think so many people dissagree with you? From what I have seen, Ooltelwah is a nice place!! I can't wait to get their on a visit so I can VISUALLY see the neighborhoods!!

Tridad - You just love the area there... you are always so happy and positive!! I love that and it keeps me knowing that we are making the right decision to move there! Thanks!!

Old 09-20-2008, 09:51 PM

1,253 posts, read 4,876,612 times
Question City taxes.?

ETC: Since you have a nack for HOMEWORK, one can mouse click on the upper left screen WHITE City-Data Logo. It Opens up another window to pick Chatanooga city for more links , charts, DATA , compare, pictures , etc.
Ooltewah may be in the southern half of Hamilton county and also PAY city taxes ?? MVP Super Bowl QuarterBack Payton Manning lives there. Going forward the TRAFFIC issue with Volkswagon mfg plant moving there on I-75, might be a higher housing purchase for a retiree than Northern half of Hamilton co.
..Yes Church parish also part of the selection mix. We started in Cleveland, but found unique parish in Soddy to help us Fit In, then searched for a Real estate agent.

Old 09-21-2008, 09:37 AM

246 posts, read 755,234 times
Keep going north a bit till you hit the Sequatchie Valley. Great schools there in Dunlap.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Chattanooga