Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Brand-specific forums > Chevrolet, Cadillac, Buick, and GMC
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-03-2012, 10:11 PM

5,800 posts, read 6,566,236 times

Advertisements

I would take the Elantra over the Cruze for several reasons, starting with the condemnation that the Cruze received in comparison tests with other compacts in recent issues of both Automobile & Motor Trend. It was an also-ran in both comparisons, and finished last among six cars in one of those magazines.

Reviewers at both trades were also floored by the Cruze's underwhelming interior and horrendously bloated price tag compared to the competition; the models they tested stickered for over $24K and $26K as opposed to the Elantra, which can be had fully loaded for under $19K.

Hyundai's best-in-existence warranty and superior interior space constituted a major-league mismatch; Cruze's 'clunky' transmission also elicited universal disgust from the writers.

The Elantra has essentially replaced the Civic as the gold standard among compacts, a segment which Honda had dominated for at least three decades, going back to the 1980 Civic, and the much larger edition which came out in 1992.

As the very delighted owner of a 2007 Elantra, which I purchased for $4,500.00 below sticker here in Los Angeles in April of 2007, Hyundai is definitely making life miserable for many other automakers; their biggest problem right now is a lack of capacity at their plants in Montgomery, Alabama, which they are currently addressing.

Last edited by Marv101; 02-03-2012 at 10:19 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-03-2012, 11:41 PM

1,167 posts, read 2,170,010 times
I don't see how the elantra has replaced it. I want to like the elantra, I do, but like previously stated there isn't enough info. It's relatively easy to make a nice looking car and pack it full of features, bu to make one that is tough and reliable is hard. And all you can do is hope that it's reliable, and make an educated guess. With Honda, the track record is good. With Hyundai, it's about as bad as you can get.

Like I said, I would touch any Hyundai pre 2011 because IMO they are average at best, and that's only regarding the sonata. Everything else, pass. The cruze I can trust because it's not new. It's been out in Europe for a few years and all seems well. IMO, Hyundai has never made a good car, but the new elantra is feature packed and looms great, but the flash doesn't override my doubts as to long term quality.

So yea, I'll go with the civic, which aren't popular because they are feature packed or the fastest or anything like that. In a few years I hope to see a trend where Hyundai has improved, but I'm not willing to take a 20k plus risk. And a fully loaded elantra at 19k? More like 24k. Hell, the base models don't even come with AC.

And Marv, do you work for Hyundai, because that sounds like straight PR talk. The terminology you used is a bit much.

Old 02-03-2012, 11:42 PM

3,382 posts, read 8,647,833 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marv101 View Post
I would take the Elantra over the Cruze for several reasons, starting with the condemnation that the Cruze received in comparison tests with other compacts in recent issues of both Automobile & Motor Trend. It was an also-ran in both comparisons, and finished last among six cars in one of those magazines.

Reviewers at both trades were also floored by the Cruze's underwhelming interior and horrendously bloated price tag compared to the competition; the models they tested stickered for over $24K and $26K as opposed to the Elantra, which can be had fully loaded for under $19K.

Hyundai's best-in-existence warranty and superior interior space constituted a major-league mismatch; Cruze's 'clunky' transmission also elicited universal disgust from the writers.

The Elantra has essentially replaced the Civic as the gold standard among compacts, a segment which Honda had dominated for at least three decades, going back to the 1980 Civic, and the much larger edition which came out in 1992.

As the very delighted owner of a 2007 Elantra, which I purchased for $4,500.00 below sticker here in Los Angeles in April of 2007, Hyundai is definitely making life miserable for many other automakers; their biggest problem right now is a lack of capacity at their plants in Montgomery, Alabama, which they are currently addressing.
My friend owned 2 Hyundais. a 2000 Accent, that paint faded and would consume the entire pan of oile between changes, yes consume, not leak. The car had 60k miles on it. The asteriks were pointed out in that great warranty of theres when motor replacement was brought up.

Her 2nd was a 2007 Accent, the paint pealed of in sections off of the hood, in less then a year.

She dumped it, both lost an assload of value, and were probably the biggest financial mistakes of her life.

but its ok, some current 1-2 year old one now are getting ok reviews, so they all must be great cars.

At least when the big 3 made ****, everything they made wasn't ****, and certain parts of the car were very good(even if other parts were ****)

Old 02-04-2012, 07:41 AM

2,497 posts, read 7,476,084 times
First off, Hyundai is making some good looking rides...but time will tell if the reliability and craftsmanship will be solid in ten years on a 2012 model. Same with the Chevy When a company has to reinvent itself because its been building junk for 20 years you have to be weary. I've always been a Honda guy, but the new civics rear end looks cheap, like a Chevy. But still I'd pick the civic over your other choices. Have you looked into Subaru? All Wheel Drive on most or all models and the consumer reports are awesome. Just a thought. For the money your spending I'd definitely not be driving a GM product.

Old 02-04-2012, 12:44 PM

3,382 posts, read 8,647,833 times
The thing is its not even neccesarily a chevy, its a rebadge of a euro model car that has been selling for awhile. They just replaced some sheetmetal and called it a chevy.

The point I was making is everything GM made was **** for 20 years, alot of models were, some were downright embarassments. But they also made some good cars, good drivetrains, etc...

LS1, smallblock, Ecotec, the 3.6, all pretty decent motors, some are going to be legendary. But maybe the electronics of the car were half assed, so it made a crappy car.

I mean was there ANY redeeming quality from older Hyundais?

Old 02-04-2012, 06:27 PM

4,538 posts, read 6,798,777 times
I did a 300 mile trip with my 11 Elantra yesterday. I averaged 35 mpg on mostly highway driving. My car has 15,500 and it has been the best initial quality car I have had. No issues other than a scratch in the windshield which I can't explain.

The 6 speed transmission is the smoothest shifting one I have owned in any car. The brakes are excellent and the ride is very good for a car of its size. It was a little over $20k loaded with everything except navigation. The Bluetooth phone system and satelite radio are excellent.

I plan to run it into the ground so I'll get back to you in 5 or 6 years on durability.

Old 02-08-2012, 08:52 AM

3,128 posts, read 6,532,428 times
Cruze for me, I much prefer the classy styling to the "OMG LOOK AT ME I'm TRYING TO HARD TO GET ATTENTION FISH FACE" look of the ELantra.

Old 02-08-2012, 09:53 AM

14,780 posts, read 43,678,860 times
Quote:
First off, I get ALL the auto rags and I've read the comparisons. The "winner and loser" list is most often decided based on specific criteria or writer slant. The Motor Trend article was looking for the "best value aka compact that did the best job being dressed up as a midsize" and they picked the Elantra. Had they wanted best performing, they would have picked the Mazda3 and the Elantra would have bottom of the barrel. If they wanted "nicest" they would have picked the Focus, etc. The only reason the Civic lost out in the Motor Trend comparo was because it didn't have heated seats and leather, despite blowing the doors off the Elantra in every other category.

The same rags that ranked the Focus and Cruze low on these comparisons are the same rags that not even 6 months ago were proclaiming them to be "game changing sedans that are the new segment leaders in the crowded compact field"...they even bested the Elantra in quite a few other comparisons. In fact, these same rags derided the new Civic for being crap, but now place it 2nd.

Quote:
Your pricing is WAY off. A fully decked Elantra squeaks in just under $24k, a fully decked Cruze comes in a hair over $24k as does a fully decked Focus. The cheapest care in these comparos, is the Kia Forte and that rings in at around $21k, but they all say it's total crap.

Quote:
No, Hyundai does not have the best-in-existence warranty. It's good, but is not honestly that much better then any other when you consider the exclusions and limitations.

That same "clunky" transmission was praised as "smooth and responsive" in other reviews. The only car whose transmission is routinely beat on in these comparisons is the Focus, which is a little on the clunky side.

Quote:
Gold standard, no. Now competitive, yes. I think the Elantra is worth a look and will certainly appeal to some buyers who want to drive a nicer looking washing machine with some neat buttons from A to B.

Quote:
Hyundai's biggest issue is transforming their recent found success into long term success and continuing to build brand equity. I think as of the past year or so, they have earned the right to be discussed right alongside the other mainstream brands and taken seriously. Previously they were the place people went for cheap cars.

As for what you paid for your Elantra, you better have gotten a smoking deal, assuming it was a mid-level trimline, you'd be lucky to get $5k for it. A comparable Civic is worth roughly double what your Elantra is. Hence, why Hyundai's issue is building brand equity, their cars have some of the worst resale in the industry, largely owing to the fact that their "great warranty" isn't transferable to the second owner and their long term quality/durability is still suspect. People don't "throw away" their Civics, people definitely "throw away" their Elantras.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Brand-specific forums > Chevrolet, Cadillac, Buick, and GMC