Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Brand-specific forums > Chevrolet, Cadillac, Buick, and GMC
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-09-2013, 02:24 PM

10,345 posts, read 8,561,064 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrWillys View Post
It's a simple matter of appreciation for what others do, and collect than my way or the highway. You come across as a legend in your own mind without understanding the desires of others. Just because you were blessed with owning a car that says made in Bowling Green, KY does that make it better than any other well kept car? This has been a lesson in humility for you, so you can quit being so full of yourself. Any well kept car has a certain value that the OP needs to weigh in his decision making process, and because you feel smug in your C6 vs my C5 don't mean crap when I'm home all day at 52 while you work for a wage.
I will always admire Low Rider magazine, and the girls, and craftsmanship that they brought to our hobby. Bless you mi Amigos!
I agree. I am not into low riders, but I truly appreciate the work that is put into them. Oh yeah, the girls aren't so bad either.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-09-2013, 09:17 PM

4,246 posts, read 12,023,066 times
Better hope the clutch in the vette never needs replaced. I'm doing it myself ('03 Z) and I'll just say the 1k in labor seems cheap now. I'd never want to own an Fbody. But I love it more than my old '08 C6. 3,000 lbs with 405hp from the factory is nice. Add FI and it's a rocket ship.

Here's how you get to the clutch. Remove the torque tub on down. :bomb:

Old 04-10-2013, 11:36 AM

556 posts, read 1,227,876 times
Insurance won't be much more. Parts aren't much more as someone said.

Buy the Vette.

Old 04-10-2013, 11:49 AM

30,708 posts, read 79,778,724 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SK360 View Post
Insurance won't be much more. Parts aren't much more as someone said.

Buy the Vette.
Have you gotten insurance quotes on each? When I was deciding between them, insurance on the Camaro was around $1800 per year, on the vette was $4400. Part of that was due to the value, but that is where i learned about the classification difference. Having back seats puts you in a completely different class. Mustang was also lower, but a Miata was higher than the mustang or the Camaro. (those were the four cars I was considering). That was in California. However the insurance companies all price vehicles in part by classification.

Parts are no more expensive? Stat with tires, that was addressed above. Then compare shocks/struts. Look at suspension/steering parts. Exhaust system, seats, radio, window motors. . . Look at the vette guy above with a $1000 quote for a clutch (is that just labor?), my clutch (and throw out bearing) was $650. My friend's vette had a wheel cover slice through his front cowling. It cost $6000 to replace it. I cracked mine on a parking block thingy. Replaced it for $1,200.

I suppose some engine parts will be the same price, but not much else.

There is no question the Vette is the better car, but it is not in the same price scale in any way whatsoever. Not to mention to get the vette for the same price initially, the OP must go to a much older and higher mileage vehicle which will need more repairs. It may be worth it to the OP or it may not, but there is no point in misleading him or her. Vettes are far more expensive from birth to death.

Old 04-10-2013, 12:24 PM

3,398 posts, read 6,079,333 times
piyf

I did mine a few years ago. Upgraded clutch to LS7 and also threw in a built RPM trans to handle 650 ft. lbs. Also did headers and speed bleeder for the clutch that day as well. It was a long 18 hour day but worth it, IMO.

When you wrench yourself, no matter what car, you learn so much about the car and you get the pride of knowing you did it yourself.

Old 04-10-2013, 12:41 PM

556 posts, read 1,227,876 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coldjensens View Post
Have you gotten insurance quotes on each? When I was deciding between them, insurance on the Camaro was around $1800 per year, on the vette was $4400. Part of that was due to the value, but that is where i learned about the classification difference. Having back seats puts you in a completely different class. Mustang was also lower, but a Miata was higher than the mustang or the Camaro. (those were the four cars I was considering). That was in California. However the insurance companies all price vehicles in part by classification.

Parts are no more expensive? Stat with tires, that was addressed above. Then compare shocks/struts. Look at suspension/steering parts. Exhaust system, seats, radio, window motors. . . Look at the vette guy above with a $1000 quote for a clutch (is that just labor?), my clutch (and throw out bearing) was $650. My friend's vette had a wheel cover slice through his front cowling. It cost $6000 to replace it. I cracked mine on a parking block thingy. Replaced it for $1,200.

I suppose some engine parts will be the same price, but not much else.

There is no question the Vette is the better car, but it is not in the same price scale in any way whatsoever. Not to mention to get the vette for the same price initially, the OP must go to a much older and higher mileage vehicle which will need more repairs. It may be worth it to the OP or it may not, but there is no point in misleading him or her. Vettes are far more expensive from birth to death.
I pay $58/m to insure my C6. Its cheaper then my GTO and G8 were.

Tires? I just put 4 new tires on the C6, $897 delivered.

Compared to the GTO and G8 market corvette parts are dirt cheap, fbody ain't much cheaper in some regards.

Old 04-10-2013, 05:50 PM

3,382 posts, read 8,646,616 times
They are completely different animals I have driven both, and had them in my family.

It really depends on what your goals are. I had alot of fun in the corvette, my dad had a c5, and now has a c6. Both are a blast to drive, but oddly enough, for me, i liked a Camaro more. Now I am biased and I ahve owned 5 Camaros(2 3rd and 3 4th gens)

I liked how the camaro was simpler, easier to work on, cheaper and good fun. It could be a fun car but at times was hard to keep everything in line.

Now the vette, while very stable, I found it a little less "predictable", seemed like you are going, or spinning. Less in between. Could be becaue I was more used to Camaros.

Pure stock/mild modded. Teh vette will be faster. Example being I ran like a 13.2 in my dads bone stock 01 C5 6-speed, with like a 2.4 60' with worn run flats. Some sticky tires and it was a 12.9 car.

Very rare for a ls1, now I have seen not crazy modded ls1 f-bodies in teh mid to high 12s. But rarely close to stock.

The biggest difference... is the Vette tax. The vette is better balanced, nicer, slightly faster, and well face it... $40-50k new vs, $25-30k new. So parts, even thought the same engine, because on a vette are pricier.

I am the type that would rather pay $7k for a decent 00-02 SS Camaro, refresh it for about $1k, add $2-5k in mods, and be happer then a $15-17k for a C5, and have no room to mod.

Old 04-10-2013, 05:54 PM

3,382 posts, read 8,646,616 times
forgot to mention... clutch swap on an f-body.... just need a few wobbles, maybe a swivle socket to get the top 2 bolts... not nearly as bad as a clutch swap on a C5. Which is pricey. you basically pull the entire drivetrain from the body.

Old 04-10-2013, 06:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Army_Guy View Post
piyf

I did mine a few years ago. Upgraded clutch to LS7 and also threw in a built RPM trans to handle 650 ft. lbs. Also did headers and speed bleeder for the clutch that day as well. It was a long 18 hour day but worth it, IMO.

When you wrench yourself, no matter what car, you learn so much about the car and you get the pride of knowing you did it yourself.

Put in a McLeod clutch, slave and speed bleeder. Measured to see if I needed a shim and don't. Then headers while still in the air. Removing the stupid air system for the exhaust. Straight pipe corsa exhaust. Then driving to Austin for a A&A and blower cam install. Have everything minus the A&A and cam. Still deciding while the back half is out to get the tranny beefed up or just wait till it blows. I should be much faster removing it next time now that I know what to remove.

Old 04-10-2013, 06:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coldjensens View Post
Have you gotten insurance quotes on each? When I was deciding between them, insurance on the Camaro was around $1800 per year, on the vette was $4400. Part of that was due to the value, but that is where i learned about the classification difference.

I had a '06 GTO 3 yrs ago and paid 120/month. I have a '03 Z06 and pay 60/month. Nothing has changed on my record, both with full coverage and I'm well above 25 yrs old. My '08 C6 was even more than my old C5Z which I had a bot over a year ago. I have a '94 Celica with liability and pay half what my vette is to insure, go figure.

I'm not saying a fbody will be cheaper than the vette but if it's 4400/yr for the vette then you're either young or your driving record is long.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Brand-specific forums > Chevrolet, Cadillac, Buick, and GMC