Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Brand-specific forums > Chevrolet, Cadillac, Buick, and GMC
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-04-2014, 06:12 AM

36,499 posts, read 54,051,718 times

Advertisements

This is an interesting article about that ad. Personally I would work less, have more vacation time with my family instead of a image car like a Cadillac.

How Cadillac irked viewers with its Oscars ad - CBS News
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-04-2014, 06:53 AM

21,827 posts, read 25,102,289 times
Been around longer than the Oscars...

Dumb ad for a dumb car by a company that's still trying to figure out how to make relevant cars. But really it doesn't matter how it resonates with most people. It matters how it resonates with potential ELR buyers, which isn't you or me. If it irks a hundred people who wouldn't buy one anyway but resonates with one who potentially might, not a bad ad. You can go into the whole brand image thing. Cadillac has never been my thing. I've liked some of their cars (CTS, ATS) but they've always been a bit too -- well, like this ad.

Old 03-04-2014, 08:13 AM

1,037 posts, read 3,160,651 times
It is a successful ad, considering the numerous ads that ran during the Oscars, people are talking about this one.

Old 03-04-2014, 08:23 AM

12,546 posts, read 21,395,557 times
This ad has been circulating social media, the news, etc., long before the Oscars. They just ran it heavily during the Oscars. Caddy is targeting obnoxious people who don't realize they could pay almost $40,000 less for the same vehicle. I think the ad works perfectly for their target audience. They'll be happy to sell 2,000 of these each year.

Old 03-04-2014, 08:59 AM

5,228 posts, read 15,282,410 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bradykp View Post
Caddy is targeting obnoxious people who don't realize they could pay almost $40,000 less for the same vehicle.
Saying the ELR is just a Volt with a higher price tag is like saying a CTS-V is just a Camaro with a higher price tag. Or a Lexus is just a Toyota with a higher price tag. Or an Audi is just a VW with a higher price tag.

There's more to it than that.

The ELR looks vastly better than a Volt, it has much nicer materials. It's a 2 door coupe, which always has cost more than the basic 4 door versions of the same car, and it should handle and perform slightly better. I say this AS a Volt owner, I'd rather have the Caddy.

BTW, the ad wasn't originally for the ELR, it was for the CTS, but Caddy decided that the ELR as a halo car was a better fit. Caddy has no problem moving iron in this price range, either.

Old 03-04-2014, 10:25 AM

347 posts, read 649,943 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Merc63 View Post
Saying the ELR is just a Volt with a higher price tag is like saying a CTS-V is just a Camaro with a higher price tag. Or a Lexus is just a Toyota with a higher price tag. Or an Audi is just a VW with a higher price tag.

The ELR looks vastly better than a Volt, it has much nicer materials. It's a 2 door coupe, which always has cost more than the basic 4 door versions of the same car, and it should handle and perform slightly better. I say this AS a Volt owner, I'd rather have the Caddy.

BTW, the ad wasn't originally for the ELR, it was for the CTS, but Caddy decided that the ELR as a halo car was a better fit. Caddy has no problem moving iron in this price range, either.
Perhaps, but there is a difference, and that is indeed with the relative price between the cars.

You'd pay about $25-30K+ for a Camry or Avalon with a V6. For a similar Lexux ES350, you'd pay $35-40K. You're not really paying a significant premium to upgrade to the Lexus experience, especially if you take interior materials, features, and amenities into consideration.

Let's compare the ELR and the Volt now. You do get the coupe body shape, Cadillac exterior and interior design, and better materials, features, and amenities in the ELR. However, the powertrain for both cars is essentially the same (you do get about 60 more hp in the ELR), and the both cars are still based on the lowly Cruze, complete with a beam axle rear suspension.

Critics were already squawking about paying $40K for the Cruze-based Volt (the price has now been lowered to $35K). So how much are you willing to pay for a Cruze-based Cadillac? Are you willing to pay $50k? 60K? Or the $75K starting MSRP that Cadillac is asking for the ELR?

To me, this car is basically a modern-day Cadillac Cimarron or Aston Martin Cygnet (based off the Scion iQ). You're asking your customers to pay an excessive premium for a car that's based on a humble compact car's chassis, albeit one with an gas-electric powertrain.

Those who are willing to pay that premium are either really into Cadillac-branded coupes, or are blind to the rest of the luxury car market. I really can't see much of a market for this car, and maybe Cadillac already understands that.

Old 03-04-2014, 10:59 AM

5,228 posts, read 15,282,410 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by urban analysis therapist View Post
Perhaps, but there is a difference, and that is indeed with the relative price between the cars.

You'd pay about $25-30K+ for a Camry or Avalon with a V6. For a similar Lexux ES350, you'd pay $35-40K. You're not really paying a significant premium to upgrade to the Lexus experience, especially if you take interior materials, features, and amenities into consideration.

Let's compare the ELR and the Volt now. You do get the coupe body shape, Cadillac exterior and interior design, and better materials, features, and amenities in the ELR. However, the powertrain for both cars is essentially the same (you do get about 60 more hp in the ELR), and the both cars are still based on the lowly Cruze, complete with a beam axle rear suspension.

Critics were already squawking about paying $40K for the Cruze-based Volt (the price has now been lowered to $35K). So how much are you willing to pay for a Cruze-based Cadillac? Are you willing to pay $50k? 60K? Or the $75K starting MSRP that Cadillac is asking for the ELR?

To me, this car is basically a modern-day Cadillac Cimarron or Aston Martin Cygnet (based off the Scion iQ). You're asking your customers to pay an excessive premium for a car that's based on a humble compact car's chassis, albeit one with an gas-electric powertrain.

Those who are willing to pay that premium are either really into Cadillac-branded coupes, or are blind to the rest of the luxury car market. I really can't see much of a market for this car, and maybe Cadillac already understands that.
The problem is there is very little of the chassis it's based on (Cruze) in it. VERY little. Most of it was binned to get the electric drive and batteries in it, and then the suspension was changed to support the mass (so it's actually a better suspension than the Cruze has). Then, the electrification costs a lot, enough that the Volt is not a profitmaker for Chevy (though not the loss leader it's made out to be). The ELR actually will turn a profit on the drivetrain. Then, the tooling for the limited edition bodywork costs a LOT (the ELR isn't just a Volt or Cruze with different badging, unlike the Cimmaron or the Cygnet, it's 90% new). And in the luxury materials for the interior and you get a substantial increase in cost, and Caddy still wants to turn a profit on it.

Hey, I wish it was closer to $50-60k. If it was $50k, there would be one in my driveway instead of the Volt. But in the price range it's playing in, it's going to sell the predicted numbers easily. And maybe, it'll cause people to buy more Volts, seeing them as a relative bargain in comparison (of course, that would mean there has to be marketing for the Volt, which just isn't happening, except in ads for OTHER companies...).

Old 03-04-2014, 11:24 AM

12,546 posts, read 21,395,557 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Merc63 View Post

I know i was not completely fair, but largely, it is a rebadged Volt. The fit and finish aren't that much different, certainly not $40,000 different. Normally, there's plenty of justifiable cost differences between a Caddy and a Chevy. That's simply not the case with the ELR. have you seen it in person yet?

Old 03-04-2014, 11:50 AM

42,554 posts, read 86,928,948 times
Who in the hell was Cadillac trying to sell to, when they featured Led Zeppelin in their 2002 commercials?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bIOhgZswp8M

They alienated every thinking un-stoned adult, and are now trying to win them back.

Old 03-04-2014, 11:57 AM

7,280 posts, read 10,943,455 times
Watch the movie Star Trek First Contact and then watch the Cadillac ad. Now, doesn't the way he ( the actor) walks and behaves mimic the same in the movie?

Not kidding, take a look. The crisp turns, the head movements, all the same as when he got transformed by the Borg.

Just an observation.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Brand-specific forums > Chevrolet, Cadillac, Buick, and GMC