Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Brand-specific forums > Chevrolet, Cadillac, Buick, and GMC
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-07-2008, 10:54 PM

1,914 posts, read 7,147,153 times

Advertisements

So we are at the end of our rope with the gas guzzling F150 we own. My husband said "find us another car that gets better gas mileage". I know we are probably not going to get much for trade in as we may be uspide down b/c trucks are not getting top dollar anymore at trade in. But we really need to save money on gas. We are spending about $1000 per month on gas
My husband drives this for his business too. I was looking online and found a Buick Lucerne CX 6 cyl online at the dealership where we bought our truck. It looks like a nice car and was reading on Edmunds some favorable reviews. I have never owned a Buick. But it looks nice. Any thoughts? We are thinking of buying next month. Our current lender told us they would make us a good deal if we financed with them again....we'll see.
We DO NOT want to buy brand new.What do you guys think of Buicks?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-07-2008, 11:06 PM

2,080 posts, read 6,934,255 times
I think Buicks are great cars...just as long as the previous owner didn't drive it like a rental car. As a matter of fact, make sure the car you're eyeing is not from a rental fleet! My friends mom drove Buicks all her life. She swears by them. Great customer service and a great product. Happy Hunting!

Old 08-08-2008, 05:20 PM

17,208 posts, read 57,041,396 times
Funny, the Google ad comes up with "Buick Lucerne - 275 HP - EPA 15/23 MPG.. It's a decent car, but apparently pretty thirsty. Not sure it's going to be that much better than the F-150.

Does the truck need a tuneup? How old is the fuel filter? You may be better off tuning the truck rather than buying this particular car as a replacement.

What do you want to do with the car/truck? Mostly commuting alone to work? If so there are all sorts of Honda and Toyota cars that are more economical and, if you get a stickshift one, more fun to drive IMHO. Or a Toy/Nissan pickup, if you need/want a pickup.

Old 08-08-2008, 06:51 PM

9,599 posts, read 31,685,641 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CTR36 View Post
So we are at the end of our rope with the gas guzzling F150 we own. My husband said "find us another car that gets better gas mileage". I know we are probably not going to get much for trade in as we may be uspide down b/c trucks are not getting top dollar anymore at trade in. But we really need to save money on gas. We are spending about $1000 per month on gas
My husband drives this for his business too. I was looking online and found a Buick Lucerne CX 6 cyl online at the dealership where we bought our truck. It looks like a nice car and was reading on Edmunds some favorable reviews. I have never owned a Buick. But it looks nice. Any thoughts? We are thinking of buying next month. Our current lender told us they would make us a good deal if we financed with them again....we'll see.
Buicks has been making great vehicles with a strong loyalty for years, CTR.

However, any used vehicle comes with risks that need to be considered. What is the mileage on this Lucerne and does it have a warranty or the option to buy an extended warranty?

Also, being upside-down would scare me mainly because you are going to be paying for a vehicle after it has been sold. NOT GOOD.

Old 08-08-2008, 08:01 PM

18,949 posts, read 43,571,506 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by M3 Mitch View Post
Funny, the Google ad comes up with "Buick Lucerne - 275 HP - EPA 15/23 MPG.. It's a decent car, but apparently pretty thirsty. Not sure it's going to be that much better than the F-150.

Does the truck need a tuneup? How old is the fuel filter? You may be better off tuning the truck rather than buying this particular car as a replacement.

What do you want to do with the car/truck? Mostly commuting alone to work? If so there are all sorts of Honda and Toyota cars that are more economical and, if you get a stickshift one, more fun to drive IMHO. Or a Toy/Nissan pickup, if you need/want a pickup.
I think you're looking at the high end model, probably the CXL which has a V8. The V6 gets 16/25, that's not great, but it is a "large" car.

Old 01-13-2009, 03:25 PM

2,679 posts, read 11,731,195 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CTR36 View Post
I had it for a rental car and it drove very nicely. There are a lot of features for the money. Acceleration and breaking is very good, and I feel safe in it.

The Lucerne and Lacrosse are excellent.

Old 01-13-2009, 06:21 PM

7,305 posts, read 28,214,050 times
We also rented a brand new 2007 Lucerne in September of 2008 when we went to Charlotte NC / Lancaster SC. It was a super nice car, despite being the base CX model. It did have the leather and chrome wheels option. I do not recall the exact MPG, I think it averaged about 28 on the freeways.

Here is a photo of it in the drive before the trip. It had 6500 miles and someone had already damaged the front bumper...

and the car at the furtherest point of our trip in northern South Carolina....

Before that we had rented a 2006 Impala LT, which was also nice and got better MPG...

Old 01-13-2009, 07:16 PM

30,708 posts, read 79,764,742 times
My dad has one (leased). It is a luxury car along the lines of a lexus. I like it better than the lexus and it outperforms the lexus. The comfort, room, ride, fit and finish and performance are all very good. My dad averages about 20MPG between City and highway mix driving. It has a lot of really neat features (the wipers turn themselves on when the windshield gets wet). He would definitely get another one, but he needs a cheaper lease. If you are in the market for a mid level luxury car, it is definitely worth considering. It is a great car for its class.

Old 01-13-2009, 07:49 PM

5,641 posts, read 24,944,880 times
My neighbor bought a Lucerne as a business car and after 50K miles liked it so much he traded his wife's aged Lexus for another. They seem to be very happy with both.

Old 01-13-2009, 07:53 PM

4,229 posts, read 17,604,841 times
My father swears by Buicks. He's been driving them since god knows when. They're comfortable, reliable, decent performance et cetera. They make great road trip cars!

I'd go for the buick if it's the right price.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Brand-specific forums > Chevrolet, Cadillac, Buick, and GMC