Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Brand-specific forums > Chevrolet, Cadillac, Buick, and GMC
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-09-2014, 02:10 PM

19,015 posts, read 27,562,983 times

Advertisements

Not that anyone cares or wants my opinion.
I just returned that car to National rental. 850 miles one way trip to CA from Seattle.
I never tried Caddy, so was curious, and since they had special....

What a disappointment.

V6 with 5000 miles on it. 6 speed automatic.

0-60 in 10 seconds?

Steering wheel crooked to the left about 10 degrees.
Hard plastic everywhere, made look like leather.
No leg room. Sharp corners directed inward everywhere.
Sitting comfort 4 out of 10. I had to put small pillow under my buttocks, or legs will go numb.
Seat too narrow. My waist is 35, btw.
Typical GM automatic transmission. Step on it, engine howls, and nothing happens. Until like 2 seconds down the road.
Road noise is actually 7 out of 10. On GOOOD roads.
Riding comfort - 7 out of 10. On GOOD roads. Very bumpy on bumpy roads. Must be "sport" tuned.
Cornering. Actually, 9 out of ten!! Super solid in tight corners, and I had 4 mountain passes to traverse. Was going 80 where it said 50 easy.
Stereo sucks. As in - sucks. No treble. Plywood sound off USB MP3s at 360 bit rate. On the way home, system dropped my USB with music on it and refused to recognize it again. Subwoofer capable of producing very nice bass - except that it makes rattling overload noise continuously. My Camry JBL, even my Ridgeline Honda stereos are far superior. Far.
CUE system... I'll let it be. Whatever. Some of it is OK, some is goofy... At least, they tried. Example: I had to pull over to a dealership along the route, to reset trip odometer. And yes, I did read manual.
Appointments... I like knobs and dials. Caddy has none. Absolutely not intuitive. To change any settings, you have to go through maze of screens and such.. Whatever.
Guess what. I still have no idea, where CD slot is. And I TRIED HARD to find it. Whatever. Yes, I read manual. It does have CD player. Somewhere.
Very little room in the back.

I have no idea, how this car is considered a "luxury", with all the cheap interior plastics. Prowls through water quite well, being large and heavy, but that's about it. Has to be stabbed continuously. In slow traffic, transmission kicks like a mule.

I finally got that car to 20mpg, basically back home. Except that my Silverado with 5.3L V8 did 22mpg easy on straight FWY.

Nothing, but nothing beats 2001 Buick LeSabre in long haul comfort.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-09-2014, 02:20 PM

4,236 posts, read 8,136,274 times
Sounds a lot like the Chrysler 300

Old 03-09-2014, 02:21 PM

25,554 posts, read 17,256,908 times
I wasn't going to buy one in the first place, but now I'm REALLY not going to!
It's a disappointment, although we had a Cadillac Catera and loved it on the road. Unfortunately, when it went to the shop it was horribly expensive. Gone. Back to Honda.

For those who don't know, the Caddy Catera ("The Caddy that Zigs") was a re-badged Opal Omega, assembled in Germany.

Old 03-09-2014, 02:22 PM

3,306 posts, read 12,215,941 times
Its a stripped down entry level car, what did you expect? Go get a cla or 3 series and prepare for deja vu. Find me a car where the interior is not fully adorned with plastic, you can't because not one exists. Your other talking points are subjective, even if you did manage to somehow choose a random number between 0 and 10.

Last edited by Lux Hauler; 03-09-2014 at 02:30 PM..

Old 03-09-2014, 02:29 PM

2,600 posts, read 8,785,881 times
Its a rental car !!!!!!!!!

Old 03-09-2014, 02:39 PM

8,777 posts, read 19,852,893 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ukrkoz View Post
Not that anyone cares or wants my opinion.
I just returned that car to National rental. 850 miles one way trip to CA from Seattle.
I never tried Caddy, so was curious, and since they had special....

What a disappointment.

V6 with 5000 miles on it. 6 speed automatic.

0-60 in 10 seconds?

The base 2.5 4(202 HP) probably won't take 10 seconds.

The 2.0 Turbo 4(272 HP) definitely won't take 10 seconds.

The 3.6 V6? That's rated at 321 HP. 10 seconds? OK.

And besides, why would a rental car company even have the hottest model for rent?

Sorry, i call this story a figment of your imagination.

Old 03-09-2014, 03:42 PM

5,681 posts, read 5,150,590 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ukrkoz View Post
0-60 in 10 seconds?
Either the vehicle had a fault or you were doing something wrong (driving or measuring). There is no way in holy hell that this number isn't a gross exaggeration.

Although, if the first is true, it's one more nail in the coffin of anyone's argument in favor of buying used rental cars.

Old 03-09-2014, 03:52 PM

17,263 posts, read 21,998,333 times
I drove one at a Cadillac Performance Driving School......The big engine version. They were convinced it would steal away C class MB and 3 Series BMW owners in droves.....I didn't see it but hey it was their event.

The CD changer is hidden behind the dash panel, you wave your hand and it magically opens (I thought it was stupid but they put the same thing in the new Corvette so GM loves it).

You can't really compare an old luxo-barge like a 2001 Buick to a econ-luxury car like the ATS.....two totally different markets. It would be like complaining your Mazda Miata doesn't have the trunk space as Mercury Marquis (hey they both have MM initials, same thing).

Old 03-09-2014, 05:30 PM

3,426 posts, read 3,341,120 times
Many rentals are entry-level cars...
My dad worked for National Car Rental for a time after he retired and he drove rental cars between distant locations. On occasion he brought home a company car. I remember his complaining - and this was late-'80s/early-'90s - about how many of the GM cars had plastic handles within.

Old 03-09-2014, 06:04 PM

22,146 posts, read 33,503,954 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lux Hauler View Post
Its a stripped down entry level car, what did you expect? Go get a cla or 3 series and prepare for deja vu. Find me a car where the interior is not fully adorned with plastic, you can't because not one exists. Your other talking points are subjective, even if you did manage to somehow choose a random number between 0 and 10.

A stripped down entry level car is a Ford Fiesta with no power anything. Even at the "entry level" price point of a caddy those defects are unreasonable. Because at that price it's expected to get a premium product. There is no entry level at 45k
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Brand-specific forums > Chevrolet, Cadillac, Buick, and GMC