Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Brand-specific forums > Chevrolet, Cadillac, Buick, and GMC
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-26-2008, 06:33 PM

17,210 posts, read 57,041,396 times

Advertisements

I need to put some new tires on the 71 Impala, wanted to get some ideas from other owners of big old Detroit Iron vehicles here.

I don't drive this car much, but still do take it on the Interstate (where it does very well, as it always has). Obviously this is not a "track day" car, but it is a heavy and fairly powerful car, it gets hot around here in the summer, I want a tire that won't fail under heat. Low miles per year mean I'm not that interested in the ability to go 60-80K miles on the tire, that kind of tire would die of old age with plenty of tread left. Car uses anything from a 215-70 15 to a 225-75 15 for size.

What do I want in these tires? Mostly dry grip, sharp handling, noise and ride comfort need to be not obnoxious but are secondary. I actually have a dedicated set of Artic Alpin snow tires so snow performance is not important.

If you are familiar with the Sumitomo HTR 200, a really excellent and very competitively priced "summer only" tire, this would be about ideal but they don't make them in a large enough size. (If you don't know this tire, suggest you check it out - really an excellent tire at a very low price, fits most older, smaller cars out there - )

I'm currently looking at the Sumitomo HTR T4, Kumho Solus KR21, and Pirelli P4 Four Seasons. Only the Sumitomo comes in 225-70 and 225-75 sizes. I see the Goodyear Eagle RS-A on Tire Rack's site, if I could be convinced that it's really that much better than the other tires and so is worth $130 each compared to about half that for the others, I might go with it, but the reviews are mixed. The Goodyear is V-rated, this speaks well for it's ability to take heat. The Kumho has good reviews, but it's made in China, the Chinese do from time to time make good stuff but I don't much trust their quality control. The Sumitomo is Chinese, but I'm thinking that Sumitomo Japan exerts some QC on them. Reviews are very good for the Pirelli, but it's only available in a 215-70 size and they say they have only 7 tires (about to be discontinued?) Obviously, no one wants to spend more and get less, but at the same time I'm more interested in quality than in price.

Fleet, Bummer, what do you use on your cars?

Any Police/Hwy Patrol people here? What do you (your dept.) use on your Crown Vic? Speaking of Crown Vic, how about you, Irishtom?

Well, enough of calling out to specific other people here, anyone with experience re-tireing cars of this ilk please post up.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-26-2008, 08:10 PM

5,641 posts, read 24,944,880 times
I have been very happy with Kumhos (made in Korea) and had excellent performance from Goodyears. Have seen just adequate performance from Sumitomos and Hankook.

Old 11-26-2008, 09:13 PM

3,528 posts, read 8,623,384 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cdelena View Post
I have been very happy with Kumhos (made in Korea) and had excellent performance from Goodyears. Have seen just adequate performance from Sumitomos and Hankook.
Try supporting an American company. I would take a look at www.tirerack.com and see what you can find.

Old 11-26-2008, 09:42 PM

7,305 posts, read 28,214,050 times
Well, I have your cars "sister".... a 72' Caprice station wagon and I think I have 225's on mine, but since its a wagon, it may need 235's. I had them on my old 69' Caprice sedan and they worked fine, but the 69' Caprice is lighter than a 71' Impala (due to the larger redesign).

I drive mine very little and have been wanting to put the old original "bias-ply" style tires on it, but they are quite expensive these days.... isnt it ironic?

Old 11-26-2008, 11:58 PM

5,641 posts, read 24,944,880 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve_TN View Post
Try supporting an American company. I would take a look at www.tirerack.com and see what you can find.
OK, but many times American companies just don't make what is needed.

I got started using Kumhos because there was no other DOT rated track tire (other than some Toyo or Yokos) for my car. The Kumhos were available, reasonable, and worked well.

I bought four Goodyears for my car recently but only two are made in the USA and the other size were made in Germany.

As a consumer I will buy the best for me and American companies will get my business when they really have the best product.

Old 11-27-2008, 10:54 AM

3,150 posts, read 8,713,819 times
I have 3 full size GM sedans with these tire specs, I use bridgestone, yokohama and toyo.... bridgestone and yokohama still provide a white wall, they are the few left that do this, another option if you want a good tire with a big whitewall you can try these puppies out... MultiMile Wide Whitewall Tires Broadway Classic from Tire Factory

I also would not go any less than 225.... with 215's you might pop the tire off the bead taking a hard corner!

Old 11-27-2008, 01:49 PM

24,508 posts, read 33,295,278 times
Both of my Cadillacs ('69 Fleetwood Brougham and '76 Fleetwood 75 Limo) have Dayton tires (235).
I would like to someday install some Coker tires with the wide whitewalls. The whitewalls on my current tires are 3/4 of an inch and 1 and 1/4 or 1 and 1/2 would look really nice.

Old 11-27-2008, 03:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fleet View Post
Both of my Cadillacs ('69 Fleetwood Brougham and '76 Fleetwood 75 Limo) have Dayton tires (235).
I would like to someday install some Coker tires with the wide whitewalls. The whitewalls on my current tires are 3/4 of an inch and 1 and 1/4 or 1 and 1/2 would look really nice.
Those Silvertowns are stupid priced... Coker is nothing but a gouger.

Old 11-27-2008, 03:55 PM

24,508 posts, read 33,295,278 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JTraik View Post
Those Silvertowns are stupid priced... Coker is nothing but a gouger.
I haven't got around to actually pricing Coker... are they really that expensive?

Old 11-27-2008, 07:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fleet View Post
I haven't got around to actually pricing Coker... are they really that expensive?

Uhhh... yes! From 150 to 220 per tire!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Brand-specific forums > Chevrolet, Cadillac, Buick, and GMC