Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Brand-specific forums > Chevrolet, Cadillac, Buick, and GMC
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-11-2010, 05:15 AM

2 posts, read 24,897 times

Advertisements

Okay, so my Mom's Buick had a left rear turn signal out. I replaced the bulb. Since we had everything open back there, I went ahead and replaced the right rear turn signal bulb, too.

The left signal went back to working fine. The right one started to malfunction slowly. Sometimes it would work, other times it would flash fast like the bulb was out.

After a little while (a week or two) I chanced the right side bulb again.

The right side started to work fine, but the left side started to malfunction...sometimes it would work, other times it would blink fast as if the bulb was out. (sometimes within the same use... we could be sitting in a left turn lane with the blinker on and it would start off fast, and then start working before we made our turn). Now it has been about a week and a few days since I replaced the right side bulb and the left side almost never works.

I will be triple checking to see if it's possible to but the bulbs in backwards, but it appeared to be impossible... like the bulb was made to work either way you put it in. A friend has suggested that it might still be possible to put the bulb in backwards and I should check one more time. If i did get it in backwards, then it's working with the filaments switched... when we use the blinker it's working off the break light filament and vise verse. That would make sense because the bulb would burn out faster since it's not being used correctly, but since I was already concerned about this and checked it out, I will be surprised if that is the case. I am going to check it again anyway though when I go over to my mother's today.

Has anyone got any other suggestions?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-11-2010, 09:47 AM

1,955 posts, read 10,982,832 times
Dirt or corrosion on the contacts on the bulb holder could do things like that. Unplug the bulbs and check them.

Old 03-11-2010, 10:33 AM

45,382 posts, read 60,575,206 times
Have you checked the flasher module in the fuse box?

Old 03-11-2010, 10:41 AM

2,544 posts, read 4,283,360 times
Good suggestions both. I would tend to start with making sure the contacts are clean and not bent. Then check the flasher, and next the ground.

Old 04-19-2010, 07:45 PM

2 posts, read 24,897 times
Thanks everyone! Removing the bulbs, they looked clean and unbent... but I put some electric grease in there and they've been working for weeks!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Brand-specific forums > Chevrolet, Cadillac, Buick, and GMC