Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-27-2010, 10:33 AM

3 posts, read 34,118 times

Advertisements

First of all, what a great forum this is! I've spent the last few days devouring all the information here, it's amazing.

I'm considering a job transfer that would take me to Chicago. We're attracted to Naperville for all the obvious reasons, particularly the schools. My biggest (actually, my only) concern with Naperville is the commute to downtown Chicago. I've read a lot of conflicting stories here -- long waiting lists for parking, parking not an issue if you get to the station by 6:45. Standing room only on the train, relaxed way to travel. Etc, etc. Also, a lot of the posts are several years old and I'm not sure how relevant they are today.

So my question for all you commuters out there is what's the real deal? If I get to the station by 6:45 am I okay? How crowded is the train? What happens if I get to the station and the lot is full? And speaking of getting to the station, what are my other options? How's the bus service? I've read something about Park & Rides, but I haven't seen any details.

Any help is appreciated! Thanks in advance.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-27-2010, 11:00 AM

10,875 posts, read 13,806,109 times
Train is the best way to get into the city and yes the earlier you get there, the better. The lot directly next to the station is all permit, but there is plenty of parking on the streets around the area. Even worst case scenario there are large parking garages downtown that rarely fill at that time if you don't mind a little walk, but at 6:45 you should be fine.
Here is a link to the metra schedule Burlington Northern Santa Fe (BNSF) Schedule
Throughout the morning there are direct trains from naperville to chicago which don't get overwhelming, just avoid the trains with multiple stops.

Old 07-27-2010, 12:07 PM

28,455 posts, read 85,332,804 times
Default Options abound...

Most people would like to have a monthly pass that is prepaid. The ease of use is superior, and cost a little lower, especially if you have an employer that gets transit dollars to subsidize.

Another option is the daily fee lots. Generally a good option for those get in early ( early means trains that arrive downtown before 8 or so) , deepening on where you are coming from, some folks prefer those lots.

There are Pace bus lines that swing through town and get to / from the station to get you to/from home, bad weather makes that tough, as bus shelters are not plentiful...

Drop off or car pool or walking / bicycling are all options too.

The expresses that leave Naperville to arrive Uniin Station in time for an 8:30 start are often FULL, but that means that 99% of the passengers a in seat with excellent HVAC, next to a one other commuter that is also heading to an office job, if you have to stand that is often in an aisle that is pretty wide and not bothered with anyone passing (train is express..) or leaning in vestibule / along the star is to the upper deck, where you can almost sit.

When you are sitting there is plenty of room to read a normal newspaper, work on a laptop, answer email. Folks might give if the evil eye if you chat too loudly for soocial calls, but appropriately hushed tones for a work related call are common...

Compared to other modes of getting from an outlying burb to the core business area I have been in DC, NYC, LA, San Fran and this is TOPS!!!!

Old 07-28-2010, 03:46 AM

45 posts, read 175,221 times
I know someone who parks in a Pace lot and the Pace bus takes you to the train, but then it is really becoming a project to get to work.. I don't know how it is now, but a few years ago my friends husband was on a waiting list to get a spot at the train.. She ended up buying a house that he now walks to the train..

Old 07-29-2010, 08:42 AM

3 posts, read 34,118 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chicago0304 View Post
I know someone who parks in a Pace lot and the Pace bus takes you to the train, but then it is really becoming a project to get to work.. I don't know how it is now, but a few years ago my friends husband was on a waiting list to get a spot at the train.. She ended up buying a house that he now walks to the train..
If I could find a house close enough to walk to the station... ahhhh, I can dream at least.

Thanks for the replies, they are all very helpful!

Old 07-29-2010, 10:02 AM

2,987 posts, read 5,247,756 times
I commute in (for only about 1 year now) and I have driven, bused, and biked to both Rt 59 and Naperville station. Biking is my first option, and I do that ~9 months a year. Overall, the commute is great, in my opinion, it so beats the driving I did in Milwaukee and Los Angeles, for different reasons.

The naperville station, to me, has superior bike racks, since they are covered.
The Rt 59 station has easier parking and I have never not got a spot and I took the 6:57 or 7:17 train all winter. To me, the Naperville station has more difficult parking options, but I have never not got a spot for the 7:06 train.
Bussing depends on where you live, but it is an efficient way to travel if you are near a stop. I have walked to a park n ride a few times when I have a late afternoon flight, but go into the office before...not bad, although more time consuming.
Last, seating...getting on at the Naperville station for the 7:06, the seating can be sparse. The back of the train tends to have more open seats. There are always spots if getting on at Rt 59.

These have been my experiences.

Old 08-01-2010, 09:36 PM

1 posts, read 15,978 times
I have been commuting into downtown Chicago from downtown Naperville for over 12 years. The train ride in is pretty quick - I think it runs around 30-35 minutes. The difficult part is both parking and getting a seat on the train.

For parking - if you get to the downtown Naperville station by 6:45AM, you should have no difficulty in getting a daily parking spot for $2. Getting a seat on the 7:06AM train can be difficult - it depends on which car you get on and where you are standing when the train stops. If you are lucky and the train stops right by you on the platform, you are in the front of the pack to get on and will get a seat. Last on makes it a bit more difficult but you can usually find something towards the back of the train. I prefer the 6:45AM train. I am pretty certain I'll get a parking spot, usually get a seat and make it to my office by 7:30AM (four blocks from Union Station).

You can always take the PACE commuter bus. I think they run through every subdivision in Naperville and take you to either the Route 59 or Naperville station depending on where you live. I did that for many years and it's not bad. It saves wear and tear on the car and I felt pretty "green" by not using my car to commute. The downtown Naperville station has direct buses to and from all express trains if you have standard work hours, you should be fine.

If you get to the station and the lot is full, I would head to either the Park and Ride or head home and catch the PACE bus to the station. I think the last buses pick up around 7:20-7:30 or so but you would need to check into that for the area you move into. The only other option if there is no parking - is drive into the city and that's not fun. It will take at least an hour or more and cost a few $$ to park downtown Chicago followed by another long rush hour drive home.

Unfortunately, Naperville is not the only suburb with train parking issues so you would need to check into each area. I have parked in other suburbs east of Naperville but it has been many years so I can't provide any insight into Downers Grove, Westmont, etc.

Other than that train parking issues, Naperville really is a great place to live.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs