Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-17-2010, 08:16 PM

190 posts, read 405,368 times

Advertisements

Trying to find a decent somewhat affordable northern suburb. I am not too familiar w/ the suburbs and was looking for info on Riverwoods. it does not seem to be a typical suburb, is this correct? Meaning, my impression is it is small, not a lot of big box retailers, etc.

How about the schools?

Thanks-
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-18-2010, 11:16 AM

42 posts, read 199,739 times
Riverwoods feeds into Deerfield schools.

Old 09-18-2010, 12:48 PM

1,728 posts, read 4,727,874 times
Depending on your definition of affordable, Riverwoods can be affordable. Homes are in the half million to over a million range. It is a small, more rural northern suburb, just north of the Lake County/Cook County line. Schools are Deerfield public schools, which are very good. The high school is Deerfield HS. Riverwoods has easy highway access to the city on 94 and 294. There are not a lot of big box retailers, but such amenities are not far away in Wheeling, Northbrook, etc. The Chicago suburbs, while separate entities, run into each other, unlike more rural areas where everything is separated from one another.

Old 09-20-2010, 08:32 AM

5,479 posts, read 12,264,657 times
If you like very densely wooded lots, then this is your town.

Old 09-20-2010, 09:44 AM

28,453 posts, read 85,379,084 times
Default I worked in Riverwoods for a while...

...and I did walk / drive around much of the town. It strikes me as one of the towns that seems to have been incorporated to keep other towns from imposing it rules on the pre-existing home / land owners. There is nothing wrong with that but I do think in many cases that results in a town that is not going to responsive to newer residents and probably this is reflected in the lack of traditional style development which is a much bigger deal in other towns...

If yiu do find some home(s) that are in your price range I would be especially diligent and investigating the neighborliness and potential for playmates if schools are big driver for you...

I have no evidence that Riverwoods is lacking in the features that would attract families with children, but I do know that for the past couple of decades more families have been drawn to towns that have a more traditional layout...

If you like the thought of having lots of shade trees and such I think Riverwoods is hard to beat. Flatter than Highland Park and with no access to Lake Michigan prices are not as high, but I would hesitate to call it affordable...

Old 09-20-2010, 06:22 PM

1,083 posts, read 3,725,495 times
Riverwoods has many positives. If you are from the north shore and already know plenty of people, Riverwoods is great. However, if you are from out of town or area there will not a a lot of opportunities to meet people.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs