Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-24-2011, 03:01 PM

17 posts, read 22,325 times

Advertisements

In February 2011 I was fired from my job for an accusation of racial discrimination. I'm of Latin descent and on a busy evening to lighten the mood I used a joke that I now realize was offensive and hurtful. It was another evening at the resturant where the tools to give great guest service was gone. During that statement my manager had overheard and escalated the situation, when in reality the joke was about people of my own ethnic background. Once I found out I was let go I procceded to apply for unemployment insurance, took about a month, but was approved. As stated in a statement I was extremely apologetic about the situation, had no malicious intent, it was all poor judgement. I kept a perfect log of my work history and in a matter of two and a half months I applied at 45 locations. On April 20th I finally got the call I was looking for a job! Please believe looking for work And as much as I did it was good enough as winning, the littlotterry. Though the following day a reconsideration and appeal of my benefiits was put in order.

Did plenty of research and finally realized if I lose ill have to pay every cent back. Though I did call unemployment and mailed out a return to work order too. Also have contacted a lawyer to assist in the telephone hearing....now my question is

How likley will my former employer win? I fully admitted everything and was extremely apologetic.

Currently found work will that make a difference?

This whole situation has thrown me for a loop..I was fully honest and open about my behavior, gave 3 and a half years to the restaurant, and never once did I ever become accused of racism. I was a good employee. Happy to have a job now but sick of being reminded is to why that job supposidly had to let me go.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-24-2011, 03:09 PM

13,511 posts, read 19,284,780 times
Sorry it happened to you.....can I see the joke?

Old 04-24-2011, 03:15 PM

I said ' please don't sit anymore Mexicans in my section'..

Old 04-24-2011, 04:30 PM

694 posts, read 2,016,869 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by laureng View Post
I said ' please don't sit anymore Mexicans in my section'..
Yeah I would have fired you for that too. And I would have fought the state from giving you unemployment benefits as well, because you were fired for cause and your unemployment claim would cost me money (as your employer). Sorry but I think you are screwed and will have to pay everything back.

Old 04-24-2011, 04:49 PM

4,512 posts, read 5,055,664 times
I'm on you're side. Just who did you offend? Not a customer, that's for sure. You had a jerk for a boss . I'm sick and tired of these people that are offended by every word or action. Grow up, some people like you, some don't. I know those of you that will disagree with me are from the generations that were taught that life has to be equal for everyone. Nobody can win the game, don't keep score so no one feels like they lost, feel guilty that you have more than the next person b******t ! If somebody offends you, it's up to you to take care of it, not the State or government just YOU! It's time that you crybabies grow up and realize that you're not the center of the universe !! I hope you win your appeal and the hell with that sissy boss.

Old 04-24-2011, 04:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nodpete View Post
I'm on you're side. Just who did you offend? Not a customer, that's for sure. You had a jerk for a boss . I'm sick and tired of these people that are offended by every word or action. Grow up, some people like you, some don't. I know those of you that will disagree with me are from the generations that were taught that life has to be equal for everyone. Nobody can win the game, don't keep score so no one feels like they lost, feel guilty that you have more than the next person b******t ! If somebody offends you, it's up to you to take care of it, not the State or government just YOU! It's time that you crybabies grow up and realize that you're not the center of the universe !! I hope you win your appeal and the hell with that sissy boss.

Who is talking about the Government? ***? If I owned a restaurant, and I had customers come in the door only to have the waiter/waitress say "dont give me any mexicans" I damn well would fire you for it----especially if customers could here you.

Last edited by linicx; 04-25-2011 at 12:51 PM..

Old 04-24-2011, 06:08 PM

The trouble was feeling taken and made to feel important..when in reality a slip up threw me into a reputation of racist. No previous incidents, reliable, dedicated person..that should've been suspended. Meanwhile trust fund babies can be jacked up on coke. This situation has been humiliating enough. Objectively looking at the situation i never called names, wasn't aggressive in tone. Poor judgment.

Old 04-24-2011, 06:19 PM

Quote:
The trouble was feeling taken and made to feel important..when in reality a slip up threw me into a reputation of racist. No previous incidents, reliable, dedicated person..that should've been suspended. Meanwhile trust fund babies can be jacked up on coke. This situation has been humiliating enough. Objectively looking at the situation i never called names, wasn't aggressive in tone. Poor judgment.
You were Fired! The employer can fire you if he wants too. Suck it up and stop complaining. Next time think twice before saying something to irritate the boss.

Old 04-24-2011, 06:24 PM

Did stop complaining and looked for work. And finally found work.

Old 04-24-2011, 06:32 PM

Quote:
Did stop complaining and looked for work. And finally found work.
Congrats!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs