Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-30-2011, 02:54 PM

Location: In a city within a state where politicians come to get their PHDs in Corruption
2,907 posts, read 2,069,650 times

Advertisements

So I come back from a nice little vacation today, and what do I find waiting for me in the mailbox? My 2010 property tax bill. I was actually "looking forward" to seeing this one because the way that the assessor calculates the value of your home is by averaging the sales for the previous three years. So with 2008 2009 and 2010 prices being in the toilet compared to the good ol' boom years I figured my bill would be significantly less. Right? Wrong!

My taxes are highest ever, this is my tenth year in the house, and they figured my home depreciated only seven percent from 2007! Either I am the luckiest homeowner in this country or they are smoking crack....probably the latter. But check this out. My value last year per the assesor was $10k higher than this year, but my tax bill was $300 less. I am so over this....

Post your horror, or maybe if you are lucky good property tax bill stories.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-02-2011, 12:15 PM

1,464 posts, read 5,510,990 times
Ok so I have the county come out to my home which is a tri-level due to the fact that they have my home's date built wrong, they are showing it to be a ranch when in fact it is not, somehow 3 phantom fireplaces showed up in my house according to cookcountyassessor.com... oh... oh and I have a full basement, and a 4th bathroom that I have never found in my in my house either.

So assessor comes out, rings the bell, says, "ha, I'm from the Cook County Assessor's office and we's recieved notice of incorrect info-mation on yows house and oz needs to tell you that yawll don't lives in a tri-level, yuh see look out here... yous can sees how the roof line is even with that house next to you so yous only has one floow." I told her, " come here, I'll open the door and you look in and if you don't see stairs going up and down then you can call me a liar" She did and she say's ,"wow oks then we's gotsit wrong, you'll see it corrected in a month or so on our website." Recieved notice from the county assessor that says, "we have reviewed your case and found all information as originally listed as correct." So after all that, I'm still listed wrong, have more bathrooms than are even in my house, a full basement that doesn't exist, and some mysterious fireplaces I just can't seem to find. MORONS!

Old 05-02-2011, 12:42 PM

3,131 posts, read 11,649,051 times
gotta love it! don't give up.

Old 05-02-2011, 02:44 PM

11,535 posts, read 30,269,957 times
The horror stories are unacceptable.

The County Assessor MAY NOT enter your residence. They MAY walk around the outside of your house and they MAY take measurements on the outside of your house. Most county appraisals are done by a drive-by observation. They do not come to the house unless you complain.

NYrules this is what you do. [1] Hire an STATE LICENSED appraisor. Make sure that he notes correctly the number of fireplaces, bathrooms and absence of any full basement. You probably have a crawl space - which should be noted. Be sure to ask for two copies as one must go to the County Assessor. [2] Go before the County Board with the appraisal. Make your case and your complaint against the employee.

Old 05-02-2011, 05:49 PM

Location: In a city within a state where politicians come to get their PHDs in Corruption
2,907 posts, read 2,069,650 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYrules View Post
Ok so I have the county come out to my home which is a tri-level due to the fact that they have my home's date built wrong, they are showing it to be a ranch when in fact it is not, somehow 3 phantom fireplaces showed up in my house according to cookcountyassessor.com... oh... oh and I have a full basement, and a 4th bathroom that I have never found in my in my house either.

So assessor comes out, rings the bell, says, "ha, I'm from the Cook County Assessor's office and we's recieved notice of incorrect info-mation on yows house and oz needs to tell you that yawll don't lives in a tri-level, yuh see look out here... yous can sees how the roof line is even with that house next to you so yous only has one floow." I told her, " come here, I'll open the door and you look in and if you don't see stairs going up and down then you can call me a liar" She did and she say's ,"wow oks then we's gotsit wrong, you'll see it corrected in a month or so on our website." Recieved notice from the county assessor that says, "we have reviewed your case and found all information as originally listed as correct." So after all that, I'm still listed wrong, have more bathrooms than are even in my house, a full basement that doesn't exist, and some mysterious fireplaces I just can't seem to find. MORONS!
Unbelievable. Did you challenge your assesment and that is the reason why they did the walk through? Because I have never heard of them actually coming into someone's house.

I forgot to mention that my neighbor whose house is 300 square feet bigger on a corner lot and has a full finished basement with a bath and a bedroom pays $500 less per year in taxes. Sometimes, I really, really hate this state!

Old 05-03-2011, 04:22 AM

759 posts, read 3,145,145 times
Typical government workers! You should have seen the level of people I dealt with when I applied for a job at the VA--one woman was complaining about some other woman in another dept and actually called her a witch with a b in front of me!

THe Cook County Circuit Court employees (most of them) are no better. They act like they're doing you a favor when you submit paperwork.

Old 05-03-2011, 04:32 AM

3,522 posts, read 6,104,516 times
Its absolutley absured how they hang our tax bills over the heads of homewoners
to me the whole thing is a freaking scam

then they put everything into some greek language and formulas that most of us cant follow and understand

the bottom line is the whole system trickels down to the taxpayer
we end up footing the freaking bill
the crap keeps running down hill to us the common person

my own tax bill went up another 500
simply put i cant afford the payment to go up
and I cant modify because i paid the freaking pmt on time

Old 05-03-2011, 04:48 AM

my mortgage payment went up $300 a month (I have a fixed rate!) because o the Cook County taxes as well as the Schaumburg taxes.

We have a mayor who has been in office so long that he doesn't know how to do anything except spend.

I successfully appealed my taxes, (did it online-took 3 minutes), and I'm supposed to get $1359.00 applied to my October 2011 tax bill, but I don't trust them. THey'll probably change the calculation formula or something else.

Old 05-03-2011, 05:51 AM

3,522 posts, read 6,104,516 times
Yeah they will change the multiplier
we get screwed the villages, cities all whine
but then squeeze the freaking homeowner

then you get the stupid bill for the city freaking sticker
***s me off

what the heck do i get for my prop tax bill
a school that I cant even use the facillites
dont have kids that attend

I dont mind paying my fair share for removal of snow , good roads
police fire.
but that word pension on the bill kind of *** me off

what pension do i get - none
who is paying joe publics pension - us
were getting freaking ripped

all for being reasonable
dont mind paying my FAIR share
but dont screw the roayal hell out of me

come on appreciation in this market - get real
always the working guy and gal it all ends with us the end of the road
where do we turn- no where - layers upon layers of useless govt
pension upon pension upon pension
while I have to scrape to get by liquidate 401k watch my house pmt go up 4 years in a row because of taxes and then cant even modify because i make my payment on time on top of that my freddie mac loan is with a service which is almost impossible to deal with.
call gets passed onto someplace in pakistan everytime i call etc..
sorry for being negative this just roally ***s me off
and its not just illinois its everyplace usa.

Last edited by linicx; 05-10-2011 at 11:06 PM..

Old 05-03-2011, 06:04 AM

Well, the problem is no one votes. I

n Schaumburg, I believe only 7000 voted. With roughly 1000 govt workers in Schaumburg (and about 100 of them making over 100k a year), each gov worker would only have to get a couple family members and friends to vote to ensure the pork and status quo.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs