Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-10-2007, 06:38 PM

2 posts, read 5,499 times

Advertisements

I am looking to relocate to illinois. I would have an office in schaumburg area but would only be there 30-40% of the time. Is harvard a good area? I am currently commuting 1 to 1.5 hours to work now.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-13-2007, 03:34 PM

61 posts, read 301,177 times
Harvard is decent. It's small and low-key when comparing to the Schaumburg area. I've never lived there but have been there several times.

The commute is a haul, about an hour and a half at a good time of day with low traffic. It could easily become longer during rush hour. Getting out of the Schaumburg area alone is hard - you should try to stay as close to I-90 as possible so you can get out relatively quick.

Old 08-13-2007, 04:41 PM

474 posts, read 2,538,350 times
Default What Are Your Acceptable Variables?

Dear Friend:

If you own a business that will be relocated, then placing it near the Arlington Heights, IL railroad station would be a very smart idea. Under those conditions, one could take the METRA railroad directly out to Harvard, IL. If that idea is not acceptable then investigate Cherry Valley, IL. I believe it is located between Rockford and Genoa in Illinois. Cherry Valley is quite close to Interstate 90 that goes directly through Schaumburg.

Carter Glass

Old 08-15-2007, 07:51 AM

Default One More Novel Idea

Dear Friends:

Okay, here is another novel idea that might work for you. IF you want to live in Harvard, that is okay since it is a nice town. I have traveled through there many times to visit Wisconsin. Also interesting is the Harvard - Motorola facility that lays dormant today. That place must have cost Motorola many dollars to build. And at the time, many people were excited about its economic prospects.
Anyway, take the commuter trains between Harvard and Arlington Heights. At Arlington Heights, rent a nearby parking garage at some retire lady's house. But make sure you have an electrical hook-up outlet for an electronic battery charger. When you arrive at the Arlington Heights railroad station, then walk to your car (perhaps a 'beater') and then drive to work in Schaumburg. From memory, the Schaumburg Motorola facility to the Arlington Heights Motorola facility is about eight miles. 'Hope this helps you as a possibility.

Best Regards,

Carter Glass

Old 08-15-2007, 09:35 AM

Default A P.s. Comment Or Two

When using any type of battery charger for any type of vehicle, it is very important to use and electronically regulated charger. About four years ago, a nearby neighbor - son - placed a non-regulated charger on the car he was reworking. It was in the garage that happened to be below the upper bedrooms. Sometime during the early afternoon, that non regulated charger set the battery on fire (a melt down). Then it set the car on fire which eventually set the complete house on fire. Since we live in a semi-rural township neighborhood, there are no fire hydrants. So the Wheaton Fire Department had to eventually bring in a water tanker truck (identical to a gasoline semi-truck, but containing water). By then it was too late and the house was completely destroyed.
There are several good brands of electronically regulated chargers. Schumacher makes many good ones. Also there are a number of other good brands.

Best Regards,

Carter Glass

Old 09-11-2007, 02:48 PM

1 posts, read 3,589 times
I live in Machesney Park, just north of Rockford and have been driving to Franklin Park for about a month. If traffic isn't too bad it's about 1.5 hours. At 5:00 it's more like 2 hours, possibly more. Cherry Valley is beautiful and a great place to live - and, yes, very close to I-90. Belvidere is a popular location for "Rockford-area to Chicago" commuters. It's a decent enough town, close to I-90 and U.S. 20.

I used to work in Harvard (when I lived on the south side of Rockford) at the Motorola facility. Decent town; According to Google maps, it shouldn't take more than 1.25 hours to get to Schaumburg from Harvard, Cherry Valley or Belvidere... depending on traffic, of course! (my favorite town is Cherry Valley)

Old 09-12-2007, 11:37 AM

90 posts, read 352,928 times
Where the heck is everyone getting more than an hour from Harvard to Schaumburg?

My wife commutes every day from Belvidere to Elk Grove (which is a further drive than Harvard to Schaumburg) and it takes her an hour. Route 47 to Route 53 is a 40 minute drive at the most.

Old 10-01-2007, 10:14 AM

5 posts, read 25,776 times
Default Machesney Park to Schaumburg commute

How long does it take you to get to Schaumburg when commuting from Machesney Park? I work in Hoffman Estates and was looking to relocate to Machesney Park. I only have to come in the office 2 to 3 days a week and can come in at any time. I would think early is better. Also are you close to 90 in Machesney Park and how bad is traffic locally around there? I was looking at 173 and 90 area.

Thanks

Old 11-08-2007, 05:50 PM

10 posts, read 47,769 times
Good info, I may take a job in Harvard, IL, but want to live closer to the city. Any recommendations ? Considering Arlington Heights, Buffalo Grove, Palatine, perhaps Barrington. Need family friendly place with diversity and good schools. Looking on the map, route 14 goes directly through these places, anyone know what that street is like, going from for example Palatine to Harvard in the AM? Thank you.

Old 11-08-2007, 07:03 PM

18 posts, read 85,538 times
One VERY important thing you need to factor in, is the bad snowy winter weather - it could double or even triple your commute time.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs