Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-30-2007, 09:48 PM

41 posts, read 409,923 times

Advertisements

Thanks so much for all the inputs.

Finally I was able to talk to my attorney today - Apparently he was busy with some court case.

Per him, there is no gurantee either way. If I dont buy the house, sellers can come back with a law suite once they sell the house with damages. If that happens, then it will totally be up to the judge.

Sellers did sent a letter to him yesterday saying that they have fixed the mold and I should buy the property now.

I asked my attorney if he will buy it if he was in my place. He said NO. In any case, I dont want to buy it if I can get out since even though mold is fixed, what if it comes back again. I dont know if root cause have been fixed.

He will be talking to sellers tomorrow to see what he can negotiate so we shall see...

Will keep you posted.

We are relocating from VA to IL so it has been very stressful. Living in temp housing with 2 kids since 6/24.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-31-2007, 04:47 PM

1,016 posts, read 4,549,572 times
I'm no lawyer, but shouldn't you legally be able to have a professional inspector come check it out, and if he feels the problem is not properly fixed, shouldn't you be able to get out of the deal?

Old 08-31-2007, 07:17 PM

Absolutely - Thats probably the next step.

Challange is that you can fix the mold but unless you find the root cause and fix that it will come back (Atleast thats what I have been told)

Attorney is trying to negotiate but if that doesnt work out, what you suggested will be our next step.

Appreciate your thoughts!

Old 09-06-2007, 01:50 PM

6 posts, read 23,136 times
Default Inspector Please

Hi, The other posts stating that if an inspector (of your choice)finds a real problem you may distinguish your contract to buy that house.
If he finds that there was mold due to standing water, or dampened items on the floor/against the wall etc. that is not a problem. If the root cause is something more serious such as a crack in the floor, you could get an estimate from a basement sealing company and get a lot off the price of the house to remedy the root cause and to cover your time and trouble.
The sellers would probably sell to you at a highly discounted price so they can carry out their plans to relocate.
Mold (and I am allergic to it) is not the worst thing. If iLive mold spoars are in the walls, flooring underlayment, insulation, or wood studs, or sill plate this could be costly. If it is just surface mold due to (a number of things?), it can be easily remedied with no headaches. The inspector should be able to tell you. AND THEN, like I said, you are in a good seat to negotiate a new price for the house. I would walk away if it is going to be much more than having to seal the basement floors and walls though.
Mold and mildew is everywhere. Bleach kills it, Odo-Ban kills it and is great smelling. Vinegar is also a mildecide and is cheap and non-toxic.
Good luck. I hope it's nothing that can't be remedied, especially if you love the house.

Old 09-06-2007, 05:10 PM

5 posts, read 13,113 times
I agree with the other posters, you should not have to buy or lose your earnest money. Mold can be a huge problem...I would agree that they need to tear down the walls to find the root cause and see how far the spread is...and has it spread to the ducts??? I feel bad for you closing on a house ...its stressful enough and then to be threatened with a law suit...

Old 09-07-2007, 01:54 PM

I am still stuck with my awesome attorney. He hasnt reponded to my calls since 8/31. On 8/30 he said that he will get back to me next day. When I call his office they tell me that he is in and out and please leave your voice mail. I am sending him emails/faxes and voice mails daily but no response.

So I dont even know whats going on.

We have decided on rental but unless we hear back from him, I dont want to sign the lease.

Any thoughts?

Can you do anything against attorneys if they are not professional?

Old 09-07-2007, 02:00 PM

1,016 posts, read 4,549,572 times
I would dump him A.S.A.P. and get a new attorney! Your situation is stressful enough without having your attorney, the one who is supposed to be fighting for you, ignoring you!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs