Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-09-2011, 10:05 PM

5 posts, read 7,845 times

Advertisements

Hello everyone,

I have friends who live throughout the city the most down in wrigglyville and some down by rosemont and schaumburg.

I am a single 27 yr old that is still looking to have a good time and enjoy my weekends / nightlife. I just do not want to be stuck in a burb of all families. So as I've explained before I have a job in Wheeling and was looking for some ideas on where to live to accommodate - fun, reasonably priced, safe, not a far commute, and again fun area.

Please just leave your thoughts. Of course I am willing to sacrifice one to get another (commute for fun) or paying more for safe area.. etc

thanks in advance
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-10-2011, 07:55 AM

5,479 posts, read 12,263,285 times
Do you want to live near Wrigleyville, close to your friends in Rosemont or close to your friends in Schaumburg? Schaumburg and Rosemont are your closest commutes. Wrigleyville puts you closer to more entertainment options.

Old 10-10-2011, 09:19 AM

5 posts, read 7,845 times
cubs,

I hear if I lived in wriggleyville it would be like a 2 hour commute. I def. do not want that. I mean I don't have to live near them. I was just asking if there was any northern burb that would be close and fun. I haven't really heard any listed on here.

I've heard Evanston ? Just looking to see if anything north is fun as well.

Old 10-10-2011, 10:50 AM

5,479 posts, read 12,263,285 times
Wrigleyville would be a long commute. By car about 75 minutes good day and 90 on a bad day. 2 hours sounds too pessimistic of a travel time unless bad weather. Evanston would definitely make it shorter 45-60 minutes.

Old 10-10-2011, 10:53 AM

2,884 posts, read 4,988,595 times
Evanston wouldn't be a great commute to Rosemont. I think Arlington Hts would be a good choice for being close to work and suburban friends. I was in downtown AH on Friday and it was HOPPING - lots of people enjoying the amazing weather and eating outside. If you do want to live in the city, try someplace like Ravenswood or Lincoln Sq. I used to live in that area and could get to work in Palatine in 45 minutes. Going home was usually worse.

Old 10-10-2011, 11:38 AM

818 posts, read 2,171,719 times
An Evanston to Wheeling commute seems like it would be kind of awkward, with no expressways going anywhere near the direction you need to go. Arlington Heights and Schamburg both have nightlife options, and are really good as far as suburban standards go. But, are nowhere near what the city has to offer.

Arlington Heights especially offers a really good commute. If I were you, I would seriously consider whether or not you would be happy with the Arlington Heights/Schamburg nightlife options. Arlington Heights has a downtown with several bars, a pretty cool piano bar, the Metropolis Performing Arts center with comedy shows, etc. a bunch of restaurants and a movie theater. The good news is that you can live downtown and have it all within walking distance. The bad news is that almost anything else you would have to drive to. There are no late night trains back from the city.

If you are determine you need access to the city, your best bet is to live somewhere on the far NW side (near Rosemont), where you can access 294 to get to work, but can also ride the blue line to and from downtown at all hours of the night. The good news is that Norwood Park (the neighborhood where the Harlem and Cumberland blue line stops are) is an affordable and safe neighborhood. The bad news is that neighborhood (as well as Rosemont) are not that terribly exciting, so you will have to commute a bit to get to Wrigleyville, Wicker Park, downtown or wherever you want to go for nightlife. If you want a lot of convenient nightlife, unfortunately, with the job being in Wheeling, you will have to suffer a long commute. At that point, you may as well just live with your friends in Wrigelyville.

Old 03-25-2014, 05:43 PM

1 posts, read 1,247 times
Are there a lot of young people that live in Arlington Heights?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs