Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-03-2012, 08:29 PM

351 posts, read 797,265 times

Advertisements

All right we usually stay in the loop when we visit Chicago, this time we are doing two nights in Oak Park and staying near mills park area. We plan on doing some Frank Loyd Wright stuff and seeing the Ernst Hemingway house. Looking for some info on places to eat-- Breakfast, lunch, and dinner, all kinds of styles for dinner. Keep in mind no car, but waking is no problem and neither is the train. Any thing we should not miss? best walking neighborhoods. What is the scoop on east Oak Park. I know that the west side of Chi has its share of issues.Any spill over, places of Oak park that should be avoided with wife and two teens. Will also be spending some nights in the City afterward, Metra or L train green line when heading that way? Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-03-2012, 08:43 PM

374 posts, read 1,036,640 times
Normally, I would recommend the green line for quick and easy travel to downtown Chicago. In your case, especially if you have a lot of luggage, I am going to recommend the Metra. The L cars are old and there isn't a ton of open space for luggage. Of course, I usually manage with three kids and a double stroller, but it is a pain.

For restaurants, I love Eryie Cafe. It's a restaurant outpost of a cooking school, and the food is seasonal and fantastic. I believe it's open for lunch during the week and they expanded to Saturday dinner as well. Maya Del Sol is a favorite, but it is a little further from where you guys are staying. For a five minute walk from your location, try: (1) Lake Street Kitchen is nice for a quick little bite with a great tap/bar; (2) Munch is a good vegan place for breakfast or lunch; (3) Marion Street Cheese Market is amazing for local food and small plates (has the best French Press coffee outside of Europe and amazing pastries); (4) Arepas for a quick lunch; (5) there is a new quick serve Asian place on Lake that I haven't tried yet; (6) Forest Park (five minute walk in the other direction) has a good options for Italian (Jimmy's Place and Francescas) and bar food (Fat Duck). Poor Phil's (seafood and popcorn at the table) and Barclays also have good food and a good tap too.

For breakfast, try Delia's on Lake. Al's Diner and Cozy Corner are fine little diners, but Delia's is really fantastic. If you want a quick breakfast, Brueggers is right there too.

Old 06-04-2012, 07:12 AM

214 posts, read 546,167 times
I agree mostly with what Kindra said. Cucina Paradiso is a nice spot right downtown. Anywhere in Oak Park is pretty safe. Maybe avoid Austin Avenue at night. Get a map of all the FLW houses. They are all in very nice areas to walk. Peterson's is an ice cream place by the FLW studio. Maybe hit a church service at one of the beautiful churches.

Old 06-04-2012, 03:11 PM

351 posts, read 797,265 times
sounds perfect! thanks for the timely response!!

Old 06-08-2012, 02:37 PM

1,002 posts, read 1,786,096 times
In addition to already stated eateries, which I also think are great, try Clay Ovan for great Indian food, Sen Sushi in south Oak Park for sushi (they have a Michelin star), and Trattoria 225 on Harrison is pretty great too. Hope you enjoy your stay in Oak Park. As for safety, Oak Park is safe... Most crime is property crime... If you're concerned, stay a couple blocks west of Austin Blvd, but I have friends on Humpfry (one block west of Austin) and they feel safe. Just don't do thinks like take the family on midnight strolls down Austin Blvd and you'll be fine... Have fun!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs