Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-28-2007, 08:35 PM

2 posts, read 24,958 times

Advertisements

We are about to buy a home in either Arlington Heights or Buffalo Grove. We are looking for something fairly new and it seems that BG will give us more choice in our price range, however I'm not sure if commute to Chicago downtown is doable from BG. Could someone share some experience? Is it going to be much worse comparing to commute from AH? Is there waiting list / problem with parking at BG metra station?
I appreciate any comments/suggestions.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-29-2007, 12:59 PM
cag

5 posts, read 22,937 times
Buffalo Grove has a train station right on Prairie. Either town is an easy commute to downtown. Buffalo Grove in Lake County is in he Stevenson School District which ranks in the top 10 in the country on a consistent basis. If I were you just on the schools alone I would pick BG. We just sold our house and moved back to BG ourselves.

Old 10-29-2007, 05:38 PM

677 posts, read 4,211,221 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cag View Post
Buffalo Grove has a train station right on Prairie.
That is actually the Prairie View station. The BG station is off of Deerfield Pkwy just east of Weiland Rd.

Old 10-31-2007, 07:02 PM

2,115 posts, read 5,420,366 times
Buffalo Grove has a very nice new Metra station, but the problem is that the trains on that train line (North Central line) are just not that as frequent as the other train lines. I guess when trains aren't running there your backup stations could be along the Milwaukee North line (Deerfield & Lake-Cook stations). The train that passes through Arlington Heights (there's a stop there), on the other hand is very frequent (Union Pacific Northwest). Buffalo Grove north of Lake-Cook Road is located in a top school district (Stevenson High School), Buffalo Grove south of Lake-Cook Road, not so much (Buffalo Grove High School). Arlington Heights I think might be considered more desirable than Buffalo Grove south of the Lake-Cook line. Arlington Heights gets John Hersey High School which is part of the larger Township High School District 214 (serving the communities of Arlington Heights, southern Buffalo Grove, northwest Des Plaines, Elk Grove, Mount Prospect, Prospect Heights, Rolling Meadows and Wheeling, IL). But Buffalo Grove north of the Lake-Cook line is pretty upscale & affluent without a doubt.

Quote:
Originally Posted by martink View Post
We are about to buy a home in either Arlington Heights or Buffalo Grove. We are looking for something fairly new and it seems that BG will give us more choice in our price range, however I'm not sure if commute to Chicago downtown is doable from BG. Could someone share some experience? Is it going to be much worse comparing to commute from AH? Is there waiting list / problem with parking at BG metra station?
I appreciate any comments/suggestions.

Old 11-01-2007, 10:47 AM

677 posts, read 4,211,221 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by reppin_the_847 View Post
Buffalo Grove north of Lake-Cook Road is located in a top school district (Stevenson High School), Buffalo Grove south of Lake-Cook Road, not so much (Buffalo Grove High School). Arlington Heights I think might be considered more desirable than Buffalo Grove south of the Lake-Cook line. Arlington Heights gets John Hersey High School which is part of the larger Township High School District 214 (serving the communities of Arlington Heights, southern Buffalo Grove, northwest Des Plaines, Elk Grove, Mount Prospect, Prospect Heights, Rolling Meadows and Wheeling, IL).
There's nothing wrong with Buffalo Grove HS. Ranked by PSAE score it's #14 among suburban high schools, which places it higher than Fremd, Neuqua Valley, Maine South, and oh yes, John Hersey. Also, depending on where in Arlington Heights you live your kids could be attending any of the D214 high schools. http://www.d214.org/shared/info/areamap.pdf (broken link)

Old 05-07-2008, 07:24 AM

1 posts, read 11,975 times
Default Downtown to Rolling Meadows Commute

Hello

I am currently moving from Northern VA/DC Metro area to chicago. My job is in Rolling Meadows if I choose to live on the north side of downtown how far would my commute be for work?

Old 05-07-2008, 10:50 AM

28,453 posts, read 85,392,786 times
It will be much easier driving from Chicago to a job in Rolling Meadows than it would be driving around the Northern VA/DC Metro area.

The predominate route from Chicago to Rolling Meadows will be the Kennedy (I90/94N) out to interchange with the Northwest Tollway (I90W) and the 290 Extension. I would expect peak rush hour times to hover right around 50-80 minutes. Not much public transportation would get you directly between a job in Rolling Meadows and a home in Chicago...

Old 05-08-2008, 09:31 AM

5,479 posts, read 12,266,813 times
Martink,
Keep in mind your property taxes will be much higher in Lake county portion of Buffalo Grove than cook county portion of Buffalo Grove. Stevenson is outstanding but is also, IMO,uber-competitve and has larger class sizes than the district 214 school. The typically more desirable HS's in district 214 are Buffalo Grove, Hersey and Prospect. Parts of Prospect Heights and Mt. Prospect go to Hersey and Prospect. Nice neighborhoods too also served by nearby Metra stations. Wheeling HS, Rolling Meadows HS get bad reps because they have more lower income kids attending BUT offer many honors/AP classes as well. District 214 allows your child to take an elective, they qualify for, at another HS within district if the class is not offered at their HS. Unfortunately no transportation is provided. Each HS seems to have it's own elective courses "specialty focus", with one being better at vocational ed, one in art, one in drama etc.. The core curriculum from standard through AP is pretty consistent across the entire district.

Old 05-19-2010, 07:05 AM

13,005 posts, read 18,911,642 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mtaylor6 View Post
Hello

I am currently moving from Northern VA/DC Metro area to chicago. My job is in Rolling Meadows if I choose to live on the north side of downtown how far would my commute be for work?
Rolling Meadows is pretty close to the Arlington Park station, so the train is an option, about 50 minutes, $116.10 monthly. Since you would be a "reverse commuter" you could even take your bike aboard for your ride to the office.

Old 05-19-2010, 09:19 AM

28,453 posts, read 85,392,786 times
Default If yyou have not done this I think the feasibility is much less than maps suggest...

Quote:
Originally Posted by pvande55 View Post
Rolling Meadows is pretty close to the Arlington Park station, so the train is an option, about 50 minutes, $116.10 monthly. Since you would be a "reverse commuter" you could even take your bike aboard for your ride to the office.

I know EXACTLY where the Arlington Park Metra station and drive by it many times a week. I also know where the bulk of office based employment is withing Rolling Meadows. If you look on map in may seem doable, as there is less than 5 miles between the endpoints. In reality the traffic volume and layout of the the roads (there are many very un-bicycle friendly slight curves that trucks and even compact cars tend to hog the whole lane from dividing line to curb along Wilke and most other alternates) are downright hazardous.

In short you'd be taking your life in your hands.

Even if you instead really want to bicycle from say downtown Mt. Prospect, which might be nominally farther by under a mile, the little respite you'd get on Mt. P's primarily residential streets (like Lincoln) would still dump you into some CRAZY traffic volumes with NUMEROUS strip mall entrances where there is no protection for a bicyclist.

Really bad idea...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs