Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-02-2014, 10:15 AM

1 posts, read 800 times

Advertisements

Hi,
I'm a student form Poland and I'm definitely looking for to migrate one day. I was wondering how much living in usa costs ? I was thinking about moving to Chicago, Miami or New Jersey, but have no idea about starting a new live. If someone could tell me something about living in USA as an immigrant i will appreciate it. Do you have any experience in something like that ?
Thanks a lot,
Zuza
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-02-2014, 11:13 AM

4,152 posts, read 7,936,800 times
You will have to get a green card. You should do some research on whether that can be feasible. Its very difficult for a lone person coming here without some kind of family support to initially stay with. Also what kind of jobs can you do and do you speak and write fluent English? There are people here from Poland and other areas who have jobs...many are skilled laborers or involved in the building trades...I just had a counter top installed by such folks and I am sure they were either Polish or other eastern European...the head guy spoke English well but his helper did not. Someone from Poland built the deck on my former house and my floors were installed by crafts men from Romania. Others are involved in the cleaning business where they clean homes or offices. It would be hard to advise without knowing your age, education or job skills.

Old 08-03-2014, 11:08 AM

63,919 posts, read 46,717,658 times
The greater Chicago area has a HUGE Polish population. Google Polish American Association to learn more.

Cost of living is highly variable throughout the US, within state, municipality down to the neighborhood.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs
View detailed profiles of: