Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-21-2015, 11:11 PM

69 posts, read 231,651 times

Advertisements

Anyone familiar with what distinguishes east lake forest from west lake forest? Obviously the lake and density of the trees are present in ELF but are there any differences in the quality of schools? Cultural differences?

I know in wilmette and hp there are differences between the east and west ends of the town. Given its size I didn't know if LF was similar.

Also what separates east from west? Green Bay rd? US 41?? Waukegan Rd?

SK
Quick reply to this message

Old 01-22-2015, 07:30 AM

2,115 posts, read 5,416,337 times
The housing is certainly newer on the west side of town. Some of the neighborhoods in West Lake Forest look more like modern suburbia with large McMansions in tow. The East side looks a lot older (similar to Winnetka, east Wilmette, etc.).

The difference in terms of housing stock (and look) between West Lake Forest & West Wilmette is that West Lake Forest looks a lot more like Lincolnshire (newer & larger), whereas West Wilmette looks more like a nice Skokie neighborhood or an older east Glenview neighborhood (older & a bit smaller, more city-like).

Quote:
Originally Posted by skontoller View Post
Anyone familiar with what distinguishes east lake forest from west lake forest? Obviously the lake and density of the trees are present in ELF but are there any differences in the quality of schools? Cultural differences?

I know in wilmette and hp there are differences between the east and west ends of the town. Given its size I didn't know if LF was similar.

Also what separates east from west? Green Bay rd? US 41?? Waukegan Rd?

SK

Old 01-22-2015, 08:40 AM

1,231 posts, read 2,082,671 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by reppin_the_847 View Post
The housing is certainly newer on the west side of town. Some of the neighborhoods in West Lake Forest look more like modern suburbia with large McMansions in tow. The East side looks a lot older (similar to Winnetka, east Wilmette, etc.).

The difference in terms of housing stock (and look) between West Lake Forest & West Wilmette is that West Lake Forest looks a lot more like Lincolnshire (newer & larger), whereas West Wilmette looks more like a nice Skokie neighborhood or an older east Glenview neighborhood (older & a bit smaller, more city-like).
Very true. West Lake Forest is also closer to Vernon Hills where there's a lot of restaurants, stores, etc. If you move to Lake Forest, most of your errands will be in Vernon Hills. However, Lake Forest has Sunset Foods on Waukegan Road, and Jewel and Fresh Market in downtown. There's also a store in downtown Lake Forest called Caputo's. It's a small Italian grocery store where can get meats, cheese, bread, gelato etc. and it's excellent. I order mozarella cheese curd there sometimes and it's so good. There's also a Costco in Mettawa which is a small town west of Lake Forest which is basically unincorporated Lake Forest. Originally the Costco was supposed be across from where it is now on the other side of 60 in Lake Forest, but the town didn't want the Costco because they were afraid it would cause too much traffic. Well their loss, now they lost Costco which could've been very good for the town and now there's still traffic on 60 like they feared. Both east and west Lake Forest are nice and you can't go wrong with any of them.

Old 01-22-2015, 09:07 AM

107 posts, read 247,093 times
I live on the west side. Schools are all very good whether you are east or west. Houses tend to be newer west. I wanted to be able to walk to train and looked at many suburbs north and just happened to find a house in LF that met my requirements.

I also like the fact that I have easy access to 94 and 41 and to stores in vernon hills.

I see all this garbage out there about east vs west and one is old money vs new, people are different east vs west, green bay or 41 is dividing line. I think it is all people that dont live in LF. I dont see it. Who cares. Buy what is convenient for you. I could have bought on east side but didnt find anything I liked walking distance to train and did west. In my mind it is all the same. To me the real divider is if you live on the lake or dont.

Old 01-22-2015, 11:19 AM

1,231 posts, read 2,082,671 times
I like that Lake Forest has two metra stations. One on the west side of town and one in dowtown Lake Forest on the east side of town. It's very convienent because Lake Forest is so big that it would be a far drive to get from one side of LF to the other

Old 01-22-2015, 11:42 AM

2,115 posts, read 5,416,337 times
I agree with you Brian. Many years ago (I was probably about a senior in HS working the summer), I worked as a cashier at the Walgreens in Lake Forest. I remember trying to help out an old lady who was clearly an old timer from east Lake Forest. Something that she wanted was out of stock, and I referenced some store in Vernon Hills. She acted as if Vernon Hills was some far away universe (basically implied that Vernon Hills is way too far away & would never be caught shopping out there LOL).

For the more mainstream, younger crowd in Lake Forest (whether East or West), you'll be sure to catch them running some big box errands in Vernon Hills in addition to Northbrook to the south.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrianHunter View Post
I live on the west side. Schools are all very good whether you are east or west. Houses tend to be newer west. I wanted to be able to walk to train and looked at many suburbs north and just happened to find a house in LF that met my requirements.

I also like the fact that I have easy access to 94 and 41 and to stores in vernon hills.

I see all this garbage out there about east vs west and one is old money vs new, people are different east vs west, green bay or 41 is dividing line. I think it is all people that dont live in LF. I dont see it. Who cares. Buy what is convenient for you. I could have bought on east side but didnt find anything I liked walking distance to train and did west. In my mind it is all the same. To me the real divider is if you live on the lake or dont.

Old 01-23-2015, 12:49 PM

69 posts, read 231,651 times
Thanks for the all the responses. I'm sure I would be happy east or west. As a buyer now I always have an eye as to what my resale options will be. If other buyers place a premium on proximity to the lake or to the east downtown with the quaint stores or to lake forest college I'd want to know that before I buy. I know what I'm willing to pay so it's more a matter of getting the most for my dollars.

SK

Old 01-23-2015, 03:36 PM

Premiums are built in by the market and will be reflected in the price. Focus on what is convenient for you.

Old 01-23-2015, 05:38 PM

13,005 posts, read 18,898,097 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 4122 View Post
I like that Lake Forest has two metra stations. One on the west side of town and one in dowtown Lake Forest on the east side of town. It's very convienent because Lake Forest is so big that it would be a far drive to get from one side of LF to the other
But it's a real nuisance they are both named Lake Forest. Imagine someone told to take the train to Lake Forest and ending up three miles away from where they intended. Come on, Metra: rename one of them

Old 01-23-2015, 08:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pvande55 View Post
But it's a real nuisance they are both named Lake Forest. Imagine someone told to take the train to Lake Forest and ending up three miles away from where they intended. Come on, Metra: rename one of them
Ha. Yeah. This keeps me up at night. Some people are so miserable they can make anything seem like a disaster
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs