Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-23-2015, 08:31 PM

2 posts, read 1,681 times

Advertisements

My grandma used to own a house on 3522 W Pershing Road in Chicago. Does anyone know if that is still a nice Polish neighborhood to live in ? I would love to buy her house back and move there.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-23-2015, 09:09 PM

223 posts, read 757,465 times
Czesc!

Google StreetView is your friend:

https://www.google.com/maps/@41.8224...Yg!2e0!6m1!1e1

It looks like a Mini-Mexico from that picture...

'Polonia' is spread out across various Chicago suburbs, although there's still Polish Village in Avondale, though:

Avondale, Chicago - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Old 06-07-2015, 06:56 PM

2 posts, read 1,681 times
Yep, I figured it had turned into little mexico. That's so sad. It was a nice neighborhood. They were starting to move in when my grandma was still alive. Don't want to sound prejudice but when they move in the neighborhood turns to trash.
Thanks for letting me know. If you know of any other areas where Poles are I would love to know. My grandfather was Swedish. Do you know where they live now a days? What towns?

Thanks,

Shirley-Frances

Old 06-07-2015, 08:30 PM

49 posts, read 70,383 times
Hey Shirley. My in laws are polish and live in Chicago. Around Harlem and Addison is still a lot of Polish folks, also Italians and Irish. Most Poles live in the far Northwest now in the areas nearest to OHare airport. Norridge and Harwood Heights are two separate towns that are basically Chicago neighborhoods (surrounded by the city and OHare) that never got incorporated for whatever reason. It feels the same as the NW side but you get okay schools and actual city services. Poles still come but not as much since Poland became part of the European Union, they can move to England freely without even getting a visa so there is less incentive to come here.

Old 06-07-2015, 08:34 PM

49 posts, read 70,383 times
Most Swedes have mixed in the general European mutt milieu, no Swede area that I know. The only area I can think of with a discernible single european ethnic group would be Mt Greenwood where my grandparents live on the southwest side and Canaryville where I was born which is a little pocket area between Halstead and the Dan Ryan (east west) between 43rd and 47th...those are Irish.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs