Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-11-2015, 12:00 AM

1 posts, read 1,544 times

Advertisements

Hello All,

I was looking for some advise before signing a lease on an apartment in Oak Park. My girlfriend and I were looking at places in Oak Park and came across a really nice, newly refinished apartment on Austin, its the last building before you would turn on to Madison Street. The girlfriend loved it, but I got a "bad vibe" from the area, I want to know am I being paranoid or is this not the best area to get an apartment? I've heard bad things about living close to Austin and here we would be right on it so that gets me a little nervous to. Any people from Oak Park that could shed some light on this...we sign the lease in a few days and I want to make sure I'm not making a big mistake.

Any advise would be great, thank you!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-11-2015, 12:14 AM

49 posts, read 70,369 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ScottieP423 View Post
Hello All,

I was looking for some advise before signing a lease on an apartment in Oak Park. My girlfriend and I were looking at places in Oak Park and came across a really nice, newly refinished apartment on Austin, its the last building before you would turn on to Madison Street. The girlfriend loved it, but I got a "bad vibe" from the area, I want to know am I being paranoid or is this not the best area to get an apartment? I've heard bad things about living close to Austin and here we would be right on it so that gets me a little nervous to. Any people from Oak Park that could shed some light on this...we sign the lease in a few days and I want to make sure I'm not making a big mistake.

Any advise would be great, thank you!!
Don't do it. The price is lower than deeper in for a reason.

Think about this.

You're a poor person living in Austin, possibly a junkie...and you need money

Are you going to rob your equally poor Austin neighbor to get $8 and a tracfone, or walk 7 blocks and rob an Oak Park yuppie living on Austin.

You're near Columbus Park which is drug selling hang out.

Try to be as many blocks West of Austin and far North of the Ike as possible.

Old 06-11-2015, 08:18 AM

28,455 posts, read 85,332,804 times
There are some folks that try to promote Oak Park as perfectly safe from border to border but all it takes is a quick scan of the police items in the local papers to see that there are parts of town that have more incidents than others, that said the data does NOT show the east side to be all that big a risk -- http://www.oak-park.us/sites/default...Apr%202015.pdf

Old 06-11-2015, 08:23 AM

11,975 posts, read 31,776,941 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by southsidegal6743 View Post
...and far North of the Ike as possible.
I've looked at these crime maps many times for multiple months, and I would say there is absolutely no increase in crime south of the Ike in Oak Park. This is ridiculous advice.

In fact, the most consistent crime hot spot in Oak Park is in the nice little downtown, probably due to a higher number of people being present there at any given time.

Old 06-12-2015, 01:09 AM

49 posts, read 70,369 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lookout Kid View Post
I've looked at these crime maps many times for multiple months, and I would say there is absolutely no increase in crime south of the Ike in Oak Park. This is ridiculous advice.

In fact, the most consistent crime hot spot in Oak Park is in the nice little downtown, probably due to a higher number of people being present there at any given time.
It's the proximity to Berwyn and Cicero.

The towns to the north and west of OP are nice (Elmwood less so these days but it's still okay) however, to the east and south you have 3rd world type war zone places. It's common sense to stay farther away from those places.

Old 06-12-2015, 02:39 AM

11,535 posts, read 30,250,015 times
If IT is too good to be true... it probably is.

The City of Chicago and the Village of Oak Park share a common border street: Austin. If you were alone and wanted to live there I would tell you to go for it. You are not alone. I personally would not recommend Austin to my gf or parents. You will be safer living three or more blocks west.

Forty years ago Berwyn was a different place. My neighbors were Italians from the old country that didn't speak a word of English. It doesn't look like that today. The same could be said of Cicero. Forty years ago Gentlemen's Clubs, card games and raids were common; some whispered Mafia godfather. I don't know how much of it was true and how much was hype. I lived in Berwyn. I didn't bother Cicero; Cicero didn't bother me.

Old 06-12-2015, 10:35 PM

11,535 posts, read 30,250,015 times
n/m

Old 06-14-2015, 05:09 PM

2,990 posts, read 5,276,163 times
Don't know much about that location in particular but I know my friends moved to a less expensive place in Oak Park near-er the Austin border and had their house burglurized.

Having your house burgled is one of those things that might not sound like a big deal but when it does happen to you, it is a big deal.

Old 06-15-2015, 01:15 PM

14 posts, read 17,444 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by southsidegal6743 View Post
It's the proximity to Berwyn and Cicero.

The towns to the north and west of OP are nice (Elmwood less so these days but it's still okay) however, to the east and south you have 3rd world type war zone places. It's common sense to stay farther away from those places.
I'm happy to say, being a Berwyn resident, that the town is no where near being a 3rd world type war zone.

Old 06-15-2015, 04:01 PM

19 posts, read 18,190 times
Default Oak Park Rental on Austin

Check with the police department about crime in that area. You would be choosing to live in a part of OP which has probably more crime because of where it is geographically. Consider the proximity to getting on and off of I-290 (Austin exit). While it may look convenient it also carries the inherent risk of an easy get away for someone wanting to get out of OP quick either by foot or car.

Diversity is why I chose to live here and it is a wonderful community but this part of OP may not be where you want to start your residency.

Another resource is The Oak Park Housing Authority...708/848-7150. Also you can look up crime patterns which are easy to find on the website spotcrime I believe.

Spend the time researching the different areas. You might also consider Forest Park which is nearby and has a lively downtown area and more affordable rents. Best of luck, welcome...............
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs