Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-12-2007, 02:29 PM

285 posts, read 1,067,990 times

Advertisements

My friend is a new college graduate who has a potential job offer in Downers Grove. He is only going to be making in the mid-30s, so buying a home is not an option. The apartments are quite expensive there compared to where he lives now. What city has the most cost effective rentals but also has fast access to shopping centers, stores, movie theaters, etc within 20-30 minutes from DG?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-13-2007, 10:48 AM

39 posts, read 192,325 times
I just moved to Downers Grove from MI, the prices are steep! I would recommend Woodridge which is right next to DG, Lombard or Bolingbrook. Bolingbrook is the furthest of the three, and also the cheapest. Some people claim Bolingbrook is "sketchy" but the area has tons of shopping and seems very nice to me. They could also check out Naperville. It's not known for affordable housing, but there may be some big apartment complexes out there he/she could check out. Good luck!

Old 07-13-2007, 11:10 AM

20,004 posts, read 77,368,485 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Juice13610 View Post
My friend is a new college graduate who has a potential job offer in Downers Grove. He is only going to be making in the mid-30s, so buying a home is not an option. The apartments are quite expensive there compared to where he lives now. What city has the most cost effective rentals but also has fast access to shopping centers, stores, movie theaters, etc within 20-30 minutes from DG?
You could look into Wheaton. There are lots of older apartments there, as well as many luxury apartments. Its about 25 minutes to DG, off of Butterfield Rd, where AMLI Apartments are.

Old 07-15-2007, 10:04 AM

198 posts, read 822,141 times
He might want to look into Four Lakes in Lisle, not only could he rent an apartment but there are also many investors that rent our their condos in the condo section. I have had many friends move there after college into either into the apartments or purchasing the condos as first homes. Four Lakes has lots of activities including swimming pool and ski slope. Many of the condo buyers chose to upgrade the units and they have in unit washer/dryers, new kitchens and baths. There is a large movie theatre right next to the complex as well as multiple athletic centers - Ice Arena, Work-Out Facility, Sox/Bulls Training Center. The grocery store is right at the corner of 53 and Maple. Four Lakes is basically where Route 53 and Maple Ave meet and depending on where he works in Downers it is probably a 5-15 minute commute. Lisle has a college/university as does Wheaton, Elmhurst and Naperville so there are actually some affordable options there as well. Lombard wouldn't be bad either if you are working at the North end of Downers like at SaraLee or WAMU. The area around Yorktown has plenty to do and it is growing rapidly.

Old 07-15-2007, 11:17 AM

532 posts, read 1,231,722 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OakBrookMom View Post
He might want to look into Four Lakes in Lisle, not only could he rent an apartment but there are also many investors that rent our their condos in the condo section. I have had many friends move there after college into either into the apartments or purchasing the condos as first homes. Four Lakes has lots of activities including swimming pool and ski slope. Many of the condo buyers chose to upgrade the units and they have in unit washer/dryers, new kitchens and baths. There is a large movie theatre right next to the complex as well as multiple athletic centers - Ice Arena, Work-Out Facility, Sox/Bulls Training Center. The grocery store is right at the corner of 53 and Maple. Four Lakes is basically where Route 53 and Maple Ave meet and depending on where he works in Downers it is probably a 5-15 minute commute. Lisle has a college/university as does Wheaton, Elmhurst and Naperville so there are actually some affordable options there as well. Lombard wouldn't be bad either if you are working at the North end of Downers like at SaraLee or WAMU. The area around Yorktown has plenty to do and it is growing rapidly.

I agree. Four lakes sounds like a perfect fit

Old 07-16-2007, 08:56 PM

1,903 posts, read 7,898,807 times
I was earning less (sad to say!) in the Akron/Cleveland area in my first full time (drudgery) job out of college, but it doesn't cost as much to live there as in Chicagoland.

Good news: the Bolingbrook/Glen Ellyn/Naperville/Wheaton area likely has a lot of nice-ish apartments. Don't worry about shopping, that's why corporate America gives weekends off!

Old 07-17-2007, 01:34 PM

13 posts, read 56,939 times
I would not rent in Bolingbrook....bad idea! Try Westmont and Darien too.

Old 05-26-2009, 11:00 AM

1 posts, read 9,815 times
I will beginning grad school in downers grove shortly and am looking for an apartment that is in between downers grove and chicago. My friend and I would like to live together however she my school is in downers grove and hers in chicago on adams st. Ideally we would like to meet somewhere in the middle but I am having the hardest time trying to find apartments that are reasonable in traveling time! we will both be needing to take the train..please help if you have any suggesttions!!

Old 05-26-2009, 12:23 PM

28,455 posts, read 85,354,654 times
Default Very difficult commute...

Quote:
Originally Posted by cardiochik View Post
I will beginning grad school in downers grove shortly and am looking for an apartment that is in between downers grove and chicago. My friend and I would like to live together however she my school is in downers grove and hers in chicago on adams st. Ideally we would like to meet somewhere in the middle but I am having the hardest time trying to find apartments that are reasonable in traveling time! we will both be needing to take the train..please help if you have any suggesttions!!
I assume you will be studying at Midwestern University in Downers Grove. Health care is pretty recession proof, probably a good idea.

There are no really "low cost" rentals near the campus at all, it is pretty much surrounded by high cost housing. If you want to rely on public transportation you have picked the wrong school. While there is decent service to Downers Grove Mainstreet for commuters into Chicago in the morning rush and back out in the evening the connections that you would need to make via Pace bus are pretty few and far between -- very much a car oriented campus.

If your friend will be attending a school in Chicago I think you would both be very unhappy living in any town along the BNSF and both of you would be quite isolated. Probably makes much more sense for you to expect to get separate places (maybe with roommates at the appropriate schools) and not both have lousy commutes.

Old 05-26-2009, 09:33 PM

288 posts, read 851,504 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve-o View Post
You could look into Wheaton. . . AMLI Apartments are.
I lived in those AMLI apartments in Wheaton for a year and a half, when I first moved to Illinois. They were an OK place to transition to the Chicago area. Lots of new Illinois transplants there. But do NOT get a room on the end of the building, it's got absolutely zero insulation and your bedroom will feel like it's outside in the middle of winter!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs